Ralph Hall just got primaried
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:42:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ralph Hall just got primaried
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ralph Hall just got primaried  (Read 962 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2014, 10:22:13 PM »

After he and Dingell leave at the beginning of next year, there will be no GIs left in Congress. Conyers will be the oldest, and he was born in 1929.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 10:26:35 PM »

Sad. But considering he'd already said he was going to retire after this term anyway, I don't see what difference it makes.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 10:58:51 PM »

Actually, if Edwin Edwards, another WWII veteran, can get enough support (currently he trails in fundraising against Dietzel and Claitor) and makes his platform moderate enough, he could possibly escape with a win in the jungle primary. LA-6 still has a good Democratic voter registration and the most recent poll had him at 43% in the Nov. primary with 25% undecided, so I like his chances. In which case if he does win, he would be the oldest member of Congress at age 87.

I'm so happy to see Hall primaried! Not only can the district get a much more functional and capable representative that doesn't completely embarrass himself during committee hearings, but Hall can retire from his career early and take an extra 2 years of leisure time. I never had a problem with Hall's age, but he was a traitorous Dixiecrat who should have been term limited by now and compared to future Rep. John Ratcliffe, there really was no ideological difference. Hall didn't even vote to end the government shutdown/raise the debt ceiling in 2013.

I had my doubts of Ratcliffe pulling this off, but it's at least a sign that while the Tea Party is very weak elsewhere around the country, it still has a strong influence in Texas. On a side note, it must really suck for Dewhurst to have to lose to 2 incredibly flawed Tea Party Republicans in a row (Cruz & Patrick). Tongue
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:02:00 PM »

Actually, if Edwin Edwards, another WWII veteran, can get enough support (currently he trails in fundraising against Dietzel and Claitor) and makes his platform moderate enough, he could possibly escape with a win in the jungle primary. LA-6 still has a good Democratic voter registration and the most recent poll had him at 43% in the Nov. primary with 25% undecided, so I like his chances. In which case if he does win, he would be the oldest member of Congress at age 87.

I'm so happy to see Hall primaried! Not only can the district get a much more functional and capable representative that doesn't completely embarrass himself during committee hearings, but Hall can retire from his career early and take an extra 2 years of leisure time. I never had a problem with Hall's age, but he was a traitorous Dixiecrat who should have been term limited by now and compared to future Rep. John Ratcliffe, there really was no ideological difference. Hall didn't even vote to end the government shutdown/raise the debt ceiling in 2013.

I had my doubts of Ratcliffe pulling this off, but it's at least a sign that while the Tea Party is very weak elsewhere around the country, it still has a strong influence in Texas. On a side note, it must really suck for Dewhurst to have to lose to 2 incredibly flawed Tea Party Republicans in a row (Cruz & Patrick). Tongue

Let's be fair, Ratcliffe may very well uphold the R-TX tradition of being dysfunctional, incapable, and an embarrassment.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 11:05:28 PM »

Dominating!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 11:06:39 PM »

Good riddance.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 11:11:09 PM »

Sad. But considering he'd already said he was going to retire after this term anyway, I don't see what difference it makes.

I'm sure he wanted to go out on his terms.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 11:45:08 PM »

I'm sure he wanted to go out on his terms.

If you're already going to retire next term and you've got a well-funded primary challenger this term, why waste the effort?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 11:48:58 PM »

Congrats, Adam Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies