SENATE BILL: Ukrainian Technical, Economical and Military Aid (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:08:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Ukrainian Technical, Economical and Military Aid (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Ukrainian Technical, Economical and Military Aid (Debating)  (Read 11242 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2014, 04:12:14 PM »

Aye
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2014, 09:02:16 AM »

NAY

Why is section 5 being cut? Were it not for that I would lean towards supporting the amendment, though I would also prefer to keep section 3 as well considering the circumstances they are in.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2014, 10:39:17 AM »

This is just an absurd. We cannot require them to ban the "Right Sector". We can ask them not to include their leaders in government roles but we cannot ask them to destroy an organization.

We did it during the Cold War, as a condition of Marshall Plan aid.

I'm not in the Cold War anymore....

Better give Lumine the heads up on that one.

Hey, I'm not the one advocating for the ideology who lost, xD

I'm not a Marxist-Leninist, dude.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2014, 12:25:59 PM »

NAY

Why is section 5 being cut? Were it not for that I would lean towards supporting the amendment, though I would also prefer to keep section 3 as well considering the circumstances they are in.

Section 5 is all about the conditions on which the money is being given to the Ukrainian government. Since this amendment directs that the goals of this bill instead be accomplished through funding to entities other than the Ukrainian government, it is not relevant.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2014, 10:40:04 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2014, 09:04:14 PM »

NAY

Section 5 is all about the conditions on which the money is being given to the Ukrainian government. Since this amendment directs that the goals of this bill instead be accomplished through funding to entities other than the Ukrainian government, it is not relevant.

Sure, but in that case wouldn't section just be amended to reflect that change instead of removed?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2014, 09:05:50 PM »

Time is up on the amendment vote Cincy.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2014, 10:23:44 PM »

NAY

Sure, but in that case wouldn't section just be amended to reflect that change instead of removed?

You mean limit what money we give to third parties based on what the Ukrainian government does or doesn't do? 
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2014, 05:49:20 PM »

Vote on amendment 61:52 by shua:

Aye (6): TNF, shua, bore, DC, Griffin, and Tyrion
Nay (4): Lumine, Alfred, Goldwater, Yankee
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (0):

The amendment has been adopted.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2014, 05:50:29 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Status: A vote is now open on the aforementioned amendment.  Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2014, 08:26:05 PM »

Nay.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2014, 10:18:02 PM »

Nay. Tongue
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2014, 10:29:13 PM »

NAY

I don't support the deletion of Section 1.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2014, 12:58:16 AM »

NAY
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2014, 09:53:42 AM »

Aye
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2014, 11:30:07 AM »

Nay
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2014, 05:59:53 PM »

Nay.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2014, 08:19:43 PM »

NAY
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2014, 08:33:07 PM »

You can end this vote now Cincy.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #119 on: June 18, 2014, 03:25:28 AM »

Nay
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #120 on: June 19, 2014, 08:22:27 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2014, 08:27:03 PM by Cincinnatus »

Vote on Ukrainian Technical, Economical and Military Aid:

Aye (1): TNF
Nay [8]: Lumine, shua, Yankee, bore, Alfred, Goldwater, and Tyrion
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (2): Griffin, and DC

The amendment has been rejected.

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2014, 09:06:56 PM »

It might seem I'm almost ready with this one, but may I see the current text, please?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2014, 09:22:11 PM »

Why did TNF's amendment fail so badly? Section 1 of this bill is totally ridiculous. Why would we ever spend money tracking down the stolen assets of a corrupt Ukrainian leader when there are far more corrupt governments all over the world?  Why are we trying to micromanage Ukraine's economy when there are much poorer countries all over the world? I mean, really, what need is there to spend taxpayer money "diversifying Ukrainian trade?" Where is this money coming from anyway?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2014, 09:27:51 PM »

Why did TNF's amendment fail so badly? Section 1 of this bill is totally ridiculous. Why would we ever spend money tracking down the stolen assets of a corrupt Ukrainian leader when there are far more corrupt governments all over the world?  Why are we trying to micromanage Ukraine's economy when there are much poorer countries all over the world? I mean, really, what need is there to spend taxpayer money "diversifying Ukrainian trade?" Where is this money coming from anyway?

Oh, boy, it seems we're going to have a lot of disagreements should you get elected, Deus, xD

If you wish to track down other corrupt governments and help other poor countries I invite you to write a bill regarding that issue, but in this moment my concern is Ukraine due to the geopolitical and strategical situation and because I believe it's important to contain Russia and prevent them from taking over the country (we did committ ourselves to defend their integrity in the 1990's after all). This money is coming from our budget, and I certainly don't feel the need to point out exactly where it comes from. I am very concerned about our budget, truly, and once that discussion arrives I'll work hard to make sure this is not an extra burden for the government. But I am more than willing to spend our money in the foreign stage in order to achieve results, and right now I am interested in achieving positive results in Ukraine. Leaving things alone so they can sort out the issue themselves is a poor choice to take, I believe, specially when our intervention could help that nation.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2014, 09:36:08 PM »

Why did TNF's amendment fail so badly? Section 1 of this bill is totally ridiculous. Why would we ever spend money tracking down the stolen assets of a corrupt Ukrainian leader when there are far more corrupt governments all over the world?  Why are we trying to micromanage Ukraine's economy when there are much poorer countries all over the world? I mean, really, what need is there to spend taxpayer money "diversifying Ukrainian trade?" Where is this money coming from anyway?

Oh, boy, it seems we're going to have a lot of disagreements should you get elected, Deus, xD

If you wish to track down other corrupt governments and help other poor countries I invite you to write a bill regarding that issue, but in this moment my concern is Ukraine due to the geopolitical and strategical situation and because I believe it's important to contain Russia and prevent them from taking over the country (we did committ ourselves to defend their integrity in the 1990's after all). This money is coming from our budget, and I certainly don't feel the need to point out exactly where it comes from. I am very concerned about our budget, truly, and once that discussion arrives I'll work hard to make sure this is not an extra burden for the government. But I am more than willing to spend our money in the foreign stage in order to achieve results, and right now I am interested in achieving positive results in Ukraine. Leaving things alone so they can sort out the issue themselves is a poor choice to take, I believe, specially when our intervention could help that nation.
What does tracking down Yanukovych's stolen goodies have to do with "containing Russia?" How can the money come from "our budget" when we don't have a budget surplus (or so I'm told)? If this bill is successful, we would need to borrow the money, and if we did we would have to use some sort of borrowing instrument (such as a Treasury bond). You need to decide what that is before you pass this bill. Also, what does "diversifying Ukrainian trade" have to do with "containing Russia" or "defending Ukrainian integrity?"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies