SENATE BILL: Ukrainian Technical, Economical and Military Aid (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:15:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Ukrainian Technical, Economical and Military Aid (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Ukrainian Technical, Economical and Military Aid (Debating)  (Read 11221 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2014, 09:43:19 PM »

Why did TNF's amendment fail so badly? Section 1 of this bill is totally ridiculous. Why would we ever spend money tracking down the stolen assets of a corrupt Ukrainian leader when there are far more corrupt governments all over the world?  Why are we trying to micromanage Ukraine's economy when there are much poorer countries all over the world? I mean, really, what need is there to spend taxpayer money "diversifying Ukrainian trade?" Where is this money coming from anyway?

Oh, boy, it seems we're going to have a lot of disagreements should you get elected, Deus, xD

If you wish to track down other corrupt governments and help other poor countries I invite you to write a bill regarding that issue, but in this moment my concern is Ukraine due to the geopolitical and strategical situation and because I believe it's important to contain Russia and prevent them from taking over the country (we did committ ourselves to defend their integrity in the 1990's after all). This money is coming from our budget, and I certainly don't feel the need to point out exactly where it comes from. I am very concerned about our budget, truly, and once that discussion arrives I'll work hard to make sure this is not an extra burden for the government. But I am more than willing to spend our money in the foreign stage in order to achieve results, and right now I am interested in achieving positive results in Ukraine. Leaving things alone so they can sort out the issue themselves is a poor choice to take, I believe, specially when our intervention could help that nation.
What does tracking down Yanukovych's stolen goodies have to do with "containing Russia?" How can the money come from "our budget" when we don't have a budget surplus (or so I'm told)? If this bill is successful, we would need to borrow the money, and if we did we would have to use some sort of borrowing instrument (such as a Treasury bond). You need to decide what that is before you pass this bill. Also, what does "diversifying Ukrainian trade" have to do with "containing Russia" or "defending Ukrainian integrity?"

Tracking down the stolen assets serves to help the current Ukrainian government with their work, and I am convinced it's a good idea to lend them our help in that issue. Diversifying Ukrainian trade is key here because they do depend a lot from Russia in certain economic matters (like oil and energy sources, which allows Russia to strangle their economy as they wish). It contains Russia by depriving them of a client and taking away from them the chance to weaken Ukraine in an economic war, as they have done for the past months.

Deus, please look around and try to be realistic here, there's not a single member of the Senate who makes the calculations. I agree with you in some levels, we should do it, and we should care about how much we're spending and in what kind of a mess we are right now on certain areas (see the Health Care debate), but we don't even have the required numbers yet to make such decisions or see what's going to happen. I am certainly not going to let that paralyze my foreign policy efforts, there's a lot to do, and the sums I am requesting are not as large as the ones other projects need (and less than what other nations have sent to Ukraine as well, I might add).
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2014, 10:14:50 PM »

Why did TNF's amendment fail so badly? Section 1 of this bill is totally ridiculous. Why would we ever spend money tracking down the stolen assets of a corrupt Ukrainian leader when there are far more corrupt governments all over the world?  Why are we trying to micromanage Ukraine's economy when there are much poorer countries all over the world? I mean, really, what need is there to spend taxpayer money "diversifying Ukrainian trade?" Where is this money coming from anyway?

Oh, boy, it seems we're going to have a lot of disagreements should you get elected, Deus, xD

If you wish to track down other corrupt governments and help other poor countries I invite you to write a bill regarding that issue, but in this moment my concern is Ukraine due to the geopolitical and strategical situation and because I believe it's important to contain Russia and prevent them from taking over the country (we did committ ourselves to defend their integrity in the 1990's after all). This money is coming from our budget, and I certainly don't feel the need to point out exactly where it comes from. I am very concerned about our budget, truly, and once that discussion arrives I'll work hard to make sure this is not an extra burden for the government. But I am more than willing to spend our money in the foreign stage in order to achieve results, and right now I am interested in achieving positive results in Ukraine. Leaving things alone so they can sort out the issue themselves is a poor choice to take, I believe, specially when our intervention could help that nation.
What does tracking down Yanukovych's stolen goodies have to do with "containing Russia?" How can the money come from "our budget" when we don't have a budget surplus (or so I'm told)? If this bill is successful, we would need to borrow the money, and if we did we would have to use some sort of borrowing instrument (such as a Treasury bond). You need to decide what that is before you pass this bill. Also, what does "diversifying Ukrainian trade" have to do with "containing Russia" or "defending Ukrainian integrity?"

Tracking down the stolen assets serves to help the current Ukrainian government with their work, and I am convinced it's a good idea to lend them our help in that issue.
Why are you convinced of such a strange conclusion? What does tracking down the assets by a corrupt oligarch have to with anything? How would finding this stuff (how would that even happen anyway, wouldn't most of his assets be in a private bank account somewhere under a fake name?) improve the strategic position of Atlasia or even Ukraine?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
What's stopping Ukraine from buying oil and energy from Europe, Atlasia, or the Middle East? How will handing them taxpayer money solve this problem?

What "calculations" are you talking about? If you want to engage in $9.5 billion worth of deficit spending, you need to borrow $9.5 billion from somewhere. What's so complex about that?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2014, 10:26:04 PM »

How one would go about diversifying another country's economy is a very good question.  Are there other examples one can point to where this has been successful?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #128 on: June 20, 2014, 12:47:54 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2014, 08:52:09 PM »

Lumine? Cincy?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #130 on: June 21, 2014, 03:41:30 PM »

I support the amendment, but then I'm not the sponsor.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #131 on: June 21, 2014, 04:08:40 PM »

Hostile, of course.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2014, 03:25:20 AM »

The vote Cincy?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2014, 05:05:08 AM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Hostile
Status: A Vote is now open on the underlying legislation, SEnators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2014, 09:38:34 AM »

Aye
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2014, 01:26:25 PM »

Nay.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2014, 08:02:37 PM »

Nay.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2014, 08:23:58 PM »

Aye
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2014, 04:20:03 AM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2014, 07:33:00 AM »

lean Nay
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2014, 11:32:47 PM »

Why are people voting Nay on this when the sponsor still has yet to explain why handing Ukraine taxpayer money to "diversify trade" is necessary or how it will even work?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2014, 11:49:39 PM »

Aye  though I would be interesting in seeing if we can do a reformulated  2.2.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2014, 12:03:55 AM »
« Edited: June 30, 2014, 12:25:33 AM by Senator Lumine »

Why are people voting Nay on this when the sponsor still has yet to explain why handing Ukraine taxpayer money to "diversify trade" is necessary or how it will even work?

Not to dimish the importance of what we're doing, Deus, but Atlasia does allow us to be less specific than in real life. This bill was born by adapting a piece of legislation from OTL America, which ironically had no explanation of what "diversify trade" meant. My understanding of it? The economy of Ukraine is currently suffering from being too centered around a few exportations with Russia being a major part of said market, which means that just like with the energy and gas prices they can strangle Ukraine economically. I have no intention in seeing Ukraine becoming an economic puppet in light of the weakened state of the economy, which is why I had the intention of providing some minor help to Ukraine in order to avoid that undesirable outcome. One could say people are quite opposed to anything that involves foreign spending lately, and I'm quite concerned about that.

EDIT: I removed a rather nonsensical phrase, sorry about that.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2014, 10:02:01 AM »

Because MUH FREEDOM
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #144 on: June 30, 2014, 12:48:02 PM »

Not to dimish the importance of what we're doing, Deus, but Atlasia does allow us to be less specific than in real life. This bill was born by adapting a piece of legislation from OTL America, which ironically had no explanation of what "diversify trade" meant. My understanding of it? The economy of Ukraine is currently suffering from being too centered around a few exportations with Russia being a major part of said market, which means that just like with the energy and gas prices they can strangle Ukraine economically. I have no intention in seeing Ukraine becoming an economic puppet in light of the weakened state of the economy, which is why I had the intention of providing some minor help to Ukraine in order to avoid that undesirable outcome. One could say people are quite opposed to anything that involves foreign spending lately, and I'm quite concerned about that.

EDIT: I removed a rather nonsensical phrase, sorry about that.
Again, why is Ukraine so dependent on Russia for energy supplies? What's preventing them from buying from elsewhere? The fact that real-life politicians chose not to specify any definition either doesn't exactly reassure me. Tongue I'm sorry, but it just doesn't seem like this money is going to be put to good use (and I still have no idea what that use would even be) if you use such vague language. Like most of the money we distribute to to foreign countries, this will likely end up in the pockets of corrupt bureaucrats and other cronies.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2014, 12:54:24 AM »

In World War I, the supply of Cardiff coal to Petrograd (St. Petersburg) by sea was cut by the German blockage and so they had to train up huge coal drags from the Donets basin to keep the Steel and Iron industry of the Vyborg district running as well as to provide at least some heat for the city, over tracks that were already overstretched to handle the huge flows of supplies to the front and at a time when capcity of the railroad dropped by 60%.

Now the shoe is on the other foot.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2014, 02:23:13 AM »

Did everyone take a vacation yesterday? Seriously a few of these seem to have been left unposted in for two days or so. Tongue
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2014, 05:28:14 PM »

Did everyone take a vacation yesterday? Seriously a few of these seem to have been left unposted in for two days or so. Tongue

I'm just waiting for the vote on the amendment to end to either propose a new amendment of just ask for a final vote, xD
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #148 on: July 03, 2014, 11:39:11 PM »

Again, why is Ukraine so dependent on Russia for energy supplies? What's preventing them from buying from elsewhere?

Pipeline capacity would limit their imports from other sources even if it this oil were not significantly more expensive than the usual prices that the Russians set for Ukraine.
Alright, that makes sense. How will this aid remedy this problem?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #149 on: July 03, 2014, 11:44:41 PM »

Aye
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length