When is the right time to announce a vice presidential choice?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:48:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  When is the right time to announce a vice presidential choice?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which month is the best time to announce a vice presidential choice?
June

July

August

early September

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: When is the right time to announce a vice presidential choice?  (Read 645 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2014, 10:26:15 AM »

Out of the four months: June, July, August, September, when is the right time for a presidential candidate to announce his or her running mate? Before the convention/Olympics, or the second day of the convention to generate buzz?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 06:42:18 PM »

Between when you effectively lock up the nomination and the convention.  I refuse to pick a month since the calendar will vary from (presidential election) year to year depending on the climate and the candidates.  
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 09:08:25 PM »

It's probably a good idea to do it early. The campaign gets a major surrogate, so more months of that is useful.

The choice can be dull or exciting. If it's dull it doesn't make sense to wait until the convention, since it won't generate much buzz when the announcement is that someone with typical qualifications got nominated. If it's exciting, why not have several more months of the exciting running mate as an attack dog?
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 10:04:45 PM »

It would make sense to announce a vice presidential candidate one or two weeks before the convention, so that the running mate has enough time to adjust to being on the national stage, but has not been a known entity for so long that they seem stale when they are introduced to the Americans who only begin tracking the overall election when the conventions begin.

There doesn't seem to be much of a use waiting until the second day of the convention to announce a running mate, since there is usually only a small bounce for a party after naming vice-presidential candidates.

If there were a unique situation in which a party seemed fractured between two leading candidates, it would probably be best for the presidential nominee to announce their running mate immediately after he or she sewed up the nomination as a means of unity. To make this scenario clearer, imagine an even harsher primary battle between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton than what actually occurred in 2008. Naturally, Obama would have wanted to quickly unite the party and focus on the general election, so he probably would have made his vice-presidential announcement at the beginning of June when he defeated Hillary, instead of the real-life date of August 23.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 11:58:43 PM »

At whatever time is most inconvenient for your opponent's campaign Wink

For some reason a Veep announcement immediately sucks all of the air out of the room as the media can literally not think to talk about anything else for at least the next week.  Therefore, scheduling the announcement to coincide with a major press event for your opponent (i.e., a foreign trip, major policy speech, high profile television interview) may be the best bet.   
Bureaucat
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 10:29:44 AM »

Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I prefer announcing it at the Convention.  If not for a little bit of speculation over the VP pick, what's the reason for even televising a political convention anymore? I'm showing my age, but in my youth there was wall-to-wall coverage on all 3 TV network with no cable, and I was one of those nerds who loved it. To paraphrase Joe Biden, "it was a f****** big deal" back then. Now, not so much.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies