SENATE BILL: The Bicameral Birthing Amendment of 2014 (sent to the Regions?)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:47:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Bicameral Birthing Amendment of 2014 (sent to the Regions?)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Bicameral Birthing Amendment of 2014 (sent to the Regions?)  (Read 17228 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: August 12, 2014, 06:54:20 AM »
« edited: August 12, 2014, 11:43:58 AM by Senator bore »

I'd suggest that we separate the bill from the Fix the Regions bill before we put it to a vote.

Well, the problem would be dealing with the amount of offices, since we would have seventeen Atlasians serving in the Senate and House with the current project, something that it may be really hard to maintain with the current activity levels and with most of the regional governments in crisis. As many others noted during the discussion it doesn't seem really feasible unless we reduce the House and the Senate, and that would affect its own efficiency as well...

Exactly. JCL is just trying to kill it; it's tied to FTRA for two reasons: the first being that the number of offices have to be dealt with before we even consider adding new ones, and the second being an incentive to actually ratify FTRA in the first place. Bicameralism without FTRA would be a disaster. You can have 5 regions and 1 chamber (and even that's debatable from the perspective of activity), or you can have 3 regions and 2 chambers; there's no mix and match approach that will work as intended.

Griffin's right. There's no way the numbers can be made to work short of consolidation, or two or three regions voluntarily abolishing their legislatures. And the second is not going to happen.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #276 on: August 12, 2014, 11:43:07 AM »

Agreed. If we're going to do this, we'll have to have some sort of consolidation. Without that, there's no point in passing this.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #277 on: August 12, 2014, 12:55:31 PM »

Yes, that was my whole purpose from the start. Did no one here read my September 2013 memo?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #278 on: August 12, 2014, 05:05:49 PM »

I'm not trying to kill the bicameral bill. I want a bicameral legislation but without any possibility of consolidation attached to it. Consolidation is dead and a bicameral legislation is alive.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #279 on: August 12, 2014, 09:29:08 PM »

How would this work?Huh
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #280 on: August 12, 2014, 09:51:31 PM »

We would have 5 elected senators one from each region. In the house we'd have 11 members (10 elected/ via regions 2 per region one national at-large). Basically along American lines. The FTRA would be separated from the bill and effectively killed. That's how consolidation dies.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #281 on: August 12, 2014, 09:54:34 PM »

See your campaign thread. How would the numbers work?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #282 on: August 13, 2014, 02:59:01 AM »

lolno

You don't seem to get that subtracting 5 Senators and then adding 10+ House members results in a net addition of offices. We have too many offices. FTRA has to be ratified prior to enactment of this amendment to ensure that the consolidation/committee process occurs, which determines maps and deals with the needed reduction in offices, which justifies the whole damn thing in the first place. If that's stripped, then you end up with more offices than we began with and there's no point to it. Carrot and stick.

The framework of this bill as introduced was/is superior to anything you're going to propose and needs no modification; it's all there for a reason. All that needs input is what the House will actually do and how its tasks relate to any existing (or new) responsibilities of the Senate and executive branch.

Motion to table JCL for the remainder of this discussion.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #283 on: August 13, 2014, 09:49:49 AM »

Given that the sponsor indicated that he was ready for a final vote three days ago, and given that we haven't really heard anything else substantive on this matter, I'm going to open a final vote.

Senators, a final vote is now open on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #284 on: August 13, 2014, 10:08:33 AM »

AYE
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #285 on: August 13, 2014, 12:34:24 PM »

Given that the sponsor indicated that he was ready for a final vote three days ago, and given that we haven't really heard anything else substantive on this matter, I'm going to open a final vote.

Senators, a final vote is now open on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

So what your saying is what I've been saying for the past several weeks doesn't matter to this debate?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #286 on: August 13, 2014, 01:32:17 PM »

So what your saying is what I've been saying for the past several weeks doesn't matter to this debate?

Not that it doesn't matter. I'm happy with the bill as is and I want to have the vote.

Aye.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #287 on: August 13, 2014, 01:57:20 PM »

Aye
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #288 on: August 13, 2014, 03:15:14 PM »

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #289 on: August 13, 2014, 03:40:47 PM »

It contains what I insisted on regarding the Senate so AYE
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #290 on: August 14, 2014, 01:33:49 AM »

Aye

You just aren't seeing agreement. You can't complain about that. We just all disagree with you.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #291 on: August 14, 2014, 06:57:13 AM »

Nay. I cannot, with a good conscience, vote for a bill that proposes to break up my region.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #292 on: August 14, 2014, 07:22:23 AM »

Well, you're neither a senator, nor have any senators actually put forward your views in an amendment or as a point, so, procedurally, yes, what you're saying doesn't matter.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #293 on: August 14, 2014, 01:25:11 PM »

Nay
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #294 on: August 14, 2014, 05:11:22 PM »

Well, you're neither a senator, nor have any senators actually put forward your views in an amendment or as a point, so, procedurally, yes, what you're saying doesn't matter.

Cassius speaks on my behalf.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #295 on: August 14, 2014, 05:35:19 PM »

Not in this thread he didn't.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #296 on: August 14, 2014, 07:54:10 PM »

Aye.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #297 on: August 15, 2014, 02:36:32 PM »

And he's voted now. Most of the Senate disagrees with this view.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #298 on: August 15, 2014, 03:43:30 PM »

Abstain
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #299 on: August 16, 2014, 02:03:14 PM »

Aye.