SENATE BILL: The Bicameral Birthing Amendment of 2014 (sent to the Regions?)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:20:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Bicameral Birthing Amendment of 2014 (sent to the Regions?)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Bicameral Birthing Amendment of 2014 (sent to the Regions?)  (Read 17258 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: August 16, 2014, 04:51:03 PM »

Given that the sponsor indicated that he was ready for a final vote three days ago, and given that we haven't really heard anything else substantive on this matter, I'm going to open a final vote.

Senators, a final vote is now open on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

So what your saying is what I've been saying for the past several weeks doesn't matter to this debate?

Well, you're neither a senator, nor have any senators actually put forward your views in an amendment or as a point, so, procedurally, yes, what you're saying doesn't matter.

Cassius speaks on my behalf.

And he's voted now. Most of the Senate disagrees with this view.

I sympathize with it and continue to be rather skeptical about consolidation as an independent question. But as I see it, this is a somewhat acceptable structure, "should it come to pass" and I promised I would vote Aye if it had a regional Senate. I wish that what JCL and Cassius wanted was practical, because I would be more then willing to jump on board.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #301 on: August 17, 2014, 10:15:10 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2014, 10:17:33 AM by DemPGH, President »

I've not talked much about this for several reasons, the main ones being that it won't come across my desk and I'm not particularly passionate about the plan either way, although I plan to support. There is, however, no way that I can see to make it work without consolidation. Consolidation is all but required. The Pacific right now has an empty ballot for Council; actually, someone named Never was on the ballot, but Huh. And we're talking about a three-seat council. I know if I had fifty cents for every time I said that it would be worth a trip to the bank, but it's the truth. The Midwest isn't in much better shape. So a net gain of positions would fail badly.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #302 on: August 17, 2014, 12:38:01 PM »

This has enough votes to pass. Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #303 on: August 18, 2014, 01:40:50 AM »

Given that the sponsor indicated that he was ready for a final vote three days ago, and given that we haven't really heard anything else substantive on this matter, I'm going to open a final vote.

Senators, a final vote is now open on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

So what your saying is what I've been saying for the past several weeks doesn't matter to this debate?

Well, you're neither a senator, nor have any senators actually put forward your views in an amendment or as a point, so, procedurally, yes, what you're saying doesn't matter.

I sympathize with it and continue to be rather skeptical about consolidation as an independent question. But as I see it, this is a somewhat acceptable structure, "should it come to pass" and I promised I would vote Aye if it had a regional Senate. I wish that what JCL and Cassius wanted was practical, because I would be more then willing to jump on board.

What we want is practical. I'm gonna just say it loud and clear. Even if I were not a resident of the Mideast I would oppose consolidation because of the deliberate targeting of the region while the the western two simply get to merge into one while the IDS and Northeast benefit by splitting much of said region between the two. I'm more than willing to show how my proposal would work if this fine body would like. In both three and current map scenario.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #304 on: August 18, 2014, 05:46:53 AM »

What we want is practical. I'm gonna just say it loud and clear. Even if I were not a resident of the Mideast I would oppose consolidation because of the deliberate targeting of the region while the the western two simply get to merge into one while the IDS and Northeast benefit by splitting much of said region between the two. I'm more than willing to show how my proposal would work if this fine body would like. In both three and current map scenario.

Unless you've somehow discovered a new law of mathematics it can't. The numbers simply don't fit.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #305 on: August 18, 2014, 07:57:44 AM »

A little under three hours left here.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #306 on: August 18, 2014, 11:48:08 AM »

Unless you've somehow discovered a new law of mathematics it can't. The numbers simply don't fit.

How would my numbers not fit? You're only adding 5 maybe 6 seats. How does that warrant eliminating one region and merging two. The proponents of consolidation have failed to explain that.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #307 on: August 18, 2014, 11:53:28 AM »

Aye(s): Senator Goldwater, Senator Cynic, Senator bore, Senator North Carolina Yankee, Senator TyriontheImperialist, Senator Lumine, Senator Alfred F. Jones
Nay(s): Senator Cassius, Senator Spiral
Abstaining: Senator TNF

With seven votes affirmative, two opposed, and one abstention, the Bicameral Birthing Amendment of 2014 can be declared as having passed the Senate and is now sent to the Regions for their consideration.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

2. Article 1, Section 4 of the Third Constitution of Atlasia is amended to read:

Section 3: The Addition of the House

1. Article 1, Section 8 of the Third Constitution shall be entitled “The House” and shall read:

Section 4: House Districts and Elections

1. Article 1, Section 9 of the Third Constitution shall be entitled “Elections to the House” and shall read:

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #308 on: August 18, 2014, 12:44:57 PM »

Woohoo!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #309 on: August 18, 2014, 04:41:15 PM »

How would my numbers not fit? You're only adding 5 maybe 6 seats. How does that warrant eliminating one region and merging two. The proponents of consolidation have failed to explain that.

A concern that we already have too many office,s which underlies the consolidation push.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #310 on: August 19, 2014, 08:06:42 AM »

I have three questions.
1) How we can avoid strategic change of region (as a consequence, a change of district) or change of district (in the same region)? For example a change from a safe district to a swing district.
2) Presumably, we will have 3 regions. The district includes only states of a region or can includes a state of a region and a state of another region?
3) If I live in a region with 3 districts: District 1, District 2 and District 3. Supposing that I'm elected in the District 1 and at the end of term I desire to run for District 3. I can change my state registration (not region registration, district registration)? This is connected to Question 1.

Thanks.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #311 on: August 19, 2014, 08:19:15 AM »

Cris, if this were to pass the constitution would have to be amended so that states are allowed to be moved every 6 months like regions (that would only require ratification by 1 or 2 more regions). It's as simple as that. And districts can cross regional boundaries.

The evidence already suggest we have too many offices, adding more would make it virtually impossible to have competitive elections, or even fill the seats.

My own region of the northeast has had what feels like hundreds of special elections this assembly term, and it's probably doing the best of all the regions. I can not remember the last time there were more people on the ballot than seats in the assembly. The south's most recent election had one seat with no one in the ballot and the other 2 had people run unopposed. The pacific only had one person on the ballot for the 3 person council and the governor ran unopposed. The midwest had the same number of candidates as seats.  The mideast's governor disappeared for several centuries and no one noticed.

You can not legitimately claim that atlasia can support more offices than it has at the present.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #312 on: August 19, 2014, 05:49:32 PM »

Does anyone else remember when the entire regional government that JCL serves in virtually ceased to exist for a month? I seem to remember the Mideast going dormant through all of July.

And now that I think about it, no one had posted in any of your region's threads over the past 10 days when I checked te Regional Government board yesterday...

When two assemblymen are promoted to the Senate it's kinda hard to have an active assembly. I tried to explain that to Gov. Riley but he had other plans and was dead set on said plan. Sadly I have been proven right in this situation.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #313 on: August 19, 2014, 06:27:41 PM »

Does anyone else remember when the entire regional government that JCL serves in virtually ceased to exist for a month? I seem to remember the Mideast going dormant through all of July.

And now that I think about it, no one had posted in any of your region's threads over the past 10 days when I checked te Regional Government board yesterday...

When two assemblymen are promoted to the Senate it's kinda hard to have an active assembly. I tried to explain that to Gov. Riley but he had other plans and was dead set on said plan. Sadly I have been proven right in this situation.

The Mideast Constitution allows for recall petitions. Maybe that's something to consider? I don't have a problem with Riley, and we've worked together at the federal without his absences becoming an issue, but I'd be irritated if my region's government were as inactive as the Mideast has been all summer.

I'm quite irritated with it. We're just a month out from a regional election so I'm not sure a recall would be wise but I'm thinking about it.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #314 on: August 19, 2014, 06:35:17 PM »

The Mideast Constitution allows for recall petitions. Maybe that's something to consider? I don't have a problem with Riley, and we've worked together at the federal without his absences becoming an issue, but I'd be irritated if my region's government were as inactive as the Mideast has been all summer.

I'm quite irritated with it. We're just a month out from a regional election so I'm not sure a recall would be wise but I'm thinking about it.

No one wants you anywhere near high office, get over it.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #315 on: August 19, 2014, 07:33:01 PM »

No one wants you anywhere near high office, get over it.

E tu SimFan? Given the times I've stood by you one would think it'd lead to a good return given the nature of the game. What's the reason for the harshness?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #316 on: August 20, 2014, 04:33:56 PM »

With all due respect, nobody likes you, Mr. JCL, sir. You are what could be described as a cancer.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #317 on: August 20, 2014, 05:54:20 PM »

With all due respect, nobody likes you, Mr. JCL, sir. You are what could be described as a cancer.

A certain geologist in RL begs to differ with you. You just hate the fact I represent a view not many on this site are willing to have an open mind towards all the while it's demanded of me to conform to the predominant views of the site. I'm not the cancer here.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #318 on: August 20, 2014, 06:01:18 PM »

The only qualm most of us have with your view, dear JCL, is that your plan would increase the number of offices in the game. In a time where we can hardly keep each position filled, we don't need to be adding more positions to fill. I am confident that if this plan passed, we'd see renewed interest in the game, but I could be wrong, hell, I'm wrong far often than I'd like to admit.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #319 on: August 20, 2014, 08:52:28 PM »

The only qualm most of us have with your view, dear JCL, is that your plan would increase the number of offices in the game. In a time where we can hardly keep each position filled, we don't need to be adding more positions to fill. I am confident that if this plan passed, we'd see renewed interest in the game, but I could be wrong, hell, I'm wrong far often than I'd like to admit.

My response was to Senator Jones's personal attack. As I've said I'm open to your view but I have difficulty due to the tying it to the dissolution of my region while the others are preserved in some way, shape or form. I've been made aware of another bicameral proposal which would preserve all five regions.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #320 on: August 21, 2014, 07:42:24 AM »
« Edited: August 21, 2014, 10:44:31 AM by Cris »

My response was to Senator Jones's personal attack. As I've said I'm open to your view but I have difficulty due to the tying it to the dissolution of my region while the others are preserved in some way, shape or form. I've been made aware of another bicameral proposal which would preserve all five regions.

The bicameral proposal which would preserve all five regions and with and with almost zero gain of office holders is mine and I'm open to present this only If the referendum fails, for a sign of respect.
But I like also the Amendment approved by the Senate.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #321 on: August 22, 2014, 03:01:44 AM »

A certain geologist in RL begs to differ with you. You just hate the fact I represent a view not many on this site are willing to have an open mind towards all the while it's demanded of me to conform to the predominant views of the site. I'm not the cancer here.

I wouldn't say it's the unpopularity of your views that I hate, more like the fact that they are entirely antithetical to my deeply held beliefs and the fact of who I am. Also we need to consolidate the regions because we have too damn many of them and we don't need the number of offices to increase.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies