SENATE BILL: The Bicameral Birthing Amendment of 2014 (sent to the Regions?) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:18:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Bicameral Birthing Amendment of 2014 (sent to the Regions?) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Bicameral Birthing Amendment of 2014 (sent to the Regions?)  (Read 17335 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« on: June 21, 2014, 06:56:27 PM »
« edited: June 21, 2014, 07:38:11 PM by Barnes »

This is remarkable similar to the debate over how to deal with the late term At-Large vacancies, which Parties can fill. But of course there, it is a shorter period time then seven or eight weeks obviously. Also if there are multiple indy vacancies that could be rather problematic.

With PR, how many indies would be expected to be able to win? Is it possible for more then oen to win?

I think if we do an open-list election for all 11 seats, and there is an independent/minor party list, or perhaps even two such lists, and there are some strong candidates, more than one win should be possible.

If I may make a few contributions here: it is most certainly possible to elect several independents under open-list PR if said independents ran strong campaigns - which has certainly been achieved before in Atlasia's history! Grin

On the matter of vacancies, I am already skeptical of any form of appointment to an elected office and totally opposed to filling a vacancy left by an independent left in this manner. Simply by virtue of electing an independent, the voters directly chose to not endorse the political positions of any party but the specific positions of one candidate. No executive can legitimately claim to be able to appoint another independent to fill such a vacancy - seeing as such a replacement cannot be viewed as an acceptable successor to the positions of he previous independent.

A solution to this can be to simply allow the seat to remain vacant until the next election. Alternatively, a special election could be held within a reasonable timeframe.

Looking at the issue of replacement for members who are from a party, an easier solution could be for the next candidate on the party list to be automatically awarded the vacant seat. If the list is exhausted, then the method of the party choosing the replacement could be implemented.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 07:36:55 PM »

PLPR is where a bunch of people vote for a party and then if the party gets X seats they choose their X favorite candidates and those people go to the House?

Basically. A recent example would be the European Parliamentary elections in May. There are two main systems, both of which are used throughout the EU: closed-list and open-list. The first allows the voter to only vote for one party - giving their support to the full list of candidates the party puts forward but to no others. The second allows the voter to individually rank each candidate.

Also, most nations using the system employ a minimum threshold percentage for a party to receive any seats - although, even in systems with no threshold, there is obviously a base mathematical amount of support that they must receive.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 12:34:56 AM »
« Edited: June 29, 2014, 03:53:07 PM by Barnes »

If anyone would like to experiment with closed-list PR, here is a nifty calculator:

http://paul-lockett.co.uk/closedlist.html

(This assumes that a party runs a full slate of candidates.)

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 01:55:25 PM »

So far, over 70% oppose party lists. Yes, we only have 24 votes so far, but considering this needs to pass 4/5 regions(I think), 70% is a pretty large opposition if we decide to make the lower house based on party lists.

Something to consider if the Senate is serious about this reform.

If I can chime here again as well, Duke is absolutely right.  While I would love to see some kind of list system, it is simply not worth having if the entire prospect of bicameralism is threatened because of it. 

I've said this before, but I'll repeat it now, the entire political aspect of Atlasia has become stagnant: I firmly believe that a shake-up of this magnitude will help to change the game for the better, rejuvenate interest, and create the possibility for a new and different future.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies