Nobody Wants To Host The 2022 Olympics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:29:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Nobody Wants To Host The 2022 Olympics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Nobody Wants To Host The 2022 Olympics  (Read 6451 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2014, 09:45:18 PM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
it goes on to tell the tales of Stockholm, Munich, Davos/St. Moritz Switzerland, Oslo and Kiev backing out
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Good.  The IOC sucks.  It never works out for the citizens of the city/state, it only works out for the IOC, corrupt local officials and large construction companies (and I suppose the employees).
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 10:16:51 PM »

Good news. I'm really happy that NYC lost its bid and Chicago should be pleased as well.  There is a real need for investment in useful infrastructure and not one off stadia/venues.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 12:06:37 AM »

If it goes to Beijing I will strangle somebody...

Hoping for Lviv or Almaty
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 12:23:50 AM »

I think Beijing would get the games only if they are only bid remaining.  I seriously doubt the IOC is eager to return to one of the most polluted cities in the world any time soon.  If I were a betting man, Almaty.  Even if the situation in Ukraine were settle down enough to allow Lviv to proceed, there is no chance that Ukraine will have the funds to waste of the Olympics now.  Every spare Ukrainian hryvnia is going to be invested in the military for the foreseeable future.  I doubt Oslo will be willing to put the funds in needed to get the sort of spectacle the IOC insists upon.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 12:38:54 AM »

Its a pity that no one has the fundage or the patience for tax payer subsidized orgies for the master race.  This apathy might be what creates the entire Kahn story arc for the Star-Trek series.    
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 01:00:13 AM »

Whats the long term future for the Olympics? What are the alternatives beyond setting some country as permanent host so nobody has to bother building new infrastructure?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 01:14:01 AM »

Whats the long term future for the Olympics? What are the alternatives beyond setting some country as permanent host so nobody has to bother building new infrastructure?
That or maybe a rotation of 6 or so spots.
Heimdal
HenryH

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 07:48:10 AM »

This was a big thing in Oslo during the 2013 parliamentary elections. They barely managed to scrape together a majority of 53 % for seeking to host the 2022 Olympics. No one outside of Oslo wants to have the Olympics. Most of all because it will cost too much money.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 12:22:39 PM »

They could, you know, not make them into big expensive orgies. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 12:37:07 PM »

Interesting shift.

I know the Calgary games were very successful and had a great legacy, but that's back when the Olympics were smaller.

Vancouver was a lot of fun. I've always loved the Olympics, but I suppose it has become way too expensive to host.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 01:22:37 PM »

They could, you know, not make them into big expensive orgies. 

Unfortunately it's easier to grow than to cut. A scaled down games would probably be best for most parties.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 01:47:50 PM »

Apart from the cost, another factor has got to be that no one cares about the winter olympics, so you're not even getting a chance to sell your country to everywhere else.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 01:48:46 PM »

Apart from the cost, another factor has got to be that no one cares about the winter olympics, so you're not even getting a chance to sell your country to everywhere else.

Speak for yourself.  Even in the US the Winter Olympics gets better ratings.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 01:59:07 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2014, 02:07:32 PM by Хahar »

Even in the US the Winter Olympics gets better ratings than what? On the night of July 31, 2012, NBC received a rating of 21.8. By comparison, this year's Winter Olympics topped out at 18.5.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 02:16:52 PM »

Even in the US the Winter Olympics gets better ratings than what? On the night of July 31, 2012, NBC received a rating of 21.8. By comparison, this year's Winter Olympics topped out at 18.5.

That's still close. But I was remembering that the highest rated Olympic TV night in US history was during the 1994 Winter Olympics.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 02:36:45 PM »

I'm glad the olympic nonsense was defeated in Kraków.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 03:40:37 PM »

That's still close. But I was remembering that the highest rated Olympic TV night in US history was during the 1994 Winter Olympics.

So they need to have more Winter Olympians whacked in the knee?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 04:19:48 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2014, 04:22:08 PM by ag »

Almaty will be it. Nursultan the Great will not spare expense.

That is going to be a problem with Winter Games: there are very few Eastern despoties where they could be held. Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Belarus, may be Azerbaijan and...? North Korea would work climatically - but will be boycotted.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 04:53:13 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2014, 04:55:17 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

That is going to be a problem with Winter Games: there are very few Eastern despoties where they could be held. Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Belarus, may be Azerbaijan and...? North Korea would work climatically - but will be boycotted.

Does Belarus even have mountains?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 05:01:48 PM »

So have Antartica host it. It's nothing but ice and penguins, and there's no countries or official residents.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 05:03:38 PM »

So have Antartica host it. It's nothing but ice and penguins, and there's no countries or official residents.

Base Esperanza and Villa Las Estrellas would disagree with you there. Also I doubt they'd want it.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 06:05:32 PM »

From wiki:

"Belarus's mostly level terrain is broken up by the Belarusian Range (Byelaruskaya Hrada), a swath of elevated territory, composed of individual highlands, that runs diagonally through the country from west-southwest to east-northeast. Its highest point is the 346-meter (1,135 ft) Mount Dzyarzhynskaya, named for Felix Dzerzhinsky, head of the Cheka."
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 07:33:32 PM »

From wiki:

"Belarus's mostly level terrain is broken up by the Belarusian Range (Byelaruskaya Hrada), a swath of elevated territory, composed of individual highlands, that runs diagonally through the country from west-southwest to east-northeast. Its highest point is the 346-meter (1,135 ft) Mount Dzyarzhynskaya, named for Felix Dzerzhinsky, head of the Cheka."

Belarus: The land that time forgot
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 02:00:21 AM »

From wiki:

They could always build up the molehill, I suppose, but since Quebec City's bid was quashed because Le Massif was not massive enough, there is no way Belarus could land the Winter Olympics with a mountain half the height.
freefair
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 12:50:59 PM »

Whenever the a big global showpeice event like the Olympics or FIFA World cup roll around you can always guarantee some poor citizens will be thrown out of their shanty towns to make way for some unaffordable white elephant stadium or velodrome so that officaldom can make a quick buck. Tragic really, no wonder they're now wisely seen as cursed burdens.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies