Illinois to vote on min wage increase in 2014, will impact larger picture
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:05:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Illinois to vote on min wage increase in 2014, will impact larger picture
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Illinois to vote on min wage increase in 2014, will impact larger picture  (Read 2447 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2014, 10:49:59 PM »

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/Illinois-Lawmakers-OK-Minimum-Wage-Ballot-Measure-260971611.html

It is non-binding and a brilliant move by Illinois Democrats to get people to the polls. Definitely will be important for an already-narrow Governor's race as well as a few close Congressional races.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 09:45:33 AM »

I'll give credit where credit is due. A great move for the Democrats, especially in an off year election.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 01:36:08 PM »

Way too low, but hey, it's a start. Here's hoping it passes and the equivalent vote for a $15 an hour minimum wage passes in the Greatest City in the United States. Wink
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 02:31:59 PM »

Way too low, but hey, it's a start. Here's hoping it passes and the equivalent vote for a $15 an hour minimum wage passes in the Greatest City in the United States. Wink

Hey now, we still have one of the higher minimum wage laws in the nation and this would put us at the highest as it stands today.

Btw aren't you in Illinois now? Join the avatar club, we need more of them. Smiley
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »

Hey now, we still have one of the higher minimum wage laws in the nation and this would put us at the highest as it stands today.

Btw aren't you in Illinois now? Join the avatar club, we need more of them. Smiley

I am not just yet, but hopefully will be soon. I'm still looking for a job, gotta have one to afford the insane Chicago-area rent. Tongue
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 03:11:13 PM »

Great news Cheesy
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 12:10:55 AM »

I am not just yet, but hopefully will be soon. I'm still looking for a job, gotta have one to afford the insane Chicago-area rent. Tongue

It is obscene, but it's a great city. Much more in tune with your political beliefs as well.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 01:13:54 AM »

Why don't they also refer that constitutional initiative authorizing a progressive income tax? That seems like it'd get even more support.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 09:50:49 AM »

Thanks for exporting whatever jobs you had remaining, Illinois.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 09:52:17 AM »

Why don't they also refer that constitutional initiative authorizing a progressive income tax? That seems like it'd get even more support.

I doubt it. Much more complicated to understand than raising the minimum wage.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 06:03:28 PM »

They tried to get that BINDING referendum on the ballot and it failed thanks to a few Democrats that represented liberal-but-wealthy areas along the North Shore. This was much easier to pass because it is not binding and Democrats know that it can drive up turnout.

Also LOL at the Texas Republicans commenting. You may be creating more jobs than we do, but they are paying so low that your working class doesn't have healthcare and you're denying Medicaid expansion for them. Well done.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 08:20:37 PM »

They tried to get that BINDING referendum on the ballot and it failed thanks to a few Democrats that represented liberal-but-wealthy areas along the North Shore. This was much easier to pass because it is not binding and Democrats know that it can drive up turnout.

Also LOL at the Texas Republicans commenting. You may be creating more jobs than we do, but they are paying so low that your working class doesn't have healthcare and you're denying Medicaid expansion for them. Well done.
Because your workers will be able to keep their benefits even if they don't lose their jobs. Right...have you ever considered some possibilities about this hike? Meanwhile, the average Texan is doing very well.

Brown people count as Texans too, you know.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 11:52:23 PM »

Because your workers will be able to keep their benefits even if they don't lose their jobs. Right...have you ever considered some possibilities about this hike? Meanwhile, the average Texan is doing very well.

The only part of this that I was able to comprehend was the last sentence, which just isn't true. You're income inequality is off the charts and your % uninsured is as well. The average Texan is doing worse than the average Illinoisan.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 12:27:20 PM »

It's happening, and he's already using it to his advantage for authorizing it. Brilliant.

http://wgntv.com/2014/06/23/gov-pat-quinn-approves-minimum-wage-ballot-question/
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 12:41:47 PM »

Regarding the Texas comments, I am personally embarrassed by our 25%+ uninsured rate. However, I'll point out that California has a comparable uninsured figure (or they did prior to the Medicaid expansion), so it's hard to blame that on right-wing politics.

I think using referenda as voter bait for one party's base is a cheap tactic. It was petty and small when Republicans did it in the 2000s with gay marriage initiatives and in this decade with abortion bills. This is simply the other side of that coin.

And it's far less offensive for someone to want to be paid more than it is for someone to actively seek to take away other people's freedoms and choices.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 01:55:36 PM »

Regarding the Texas comments, I am personally embarrassed by our 25%+ uninsured rate. However, I'll point out that California has a comparable uninsured figure (or they did prior to the Medicaid expansion), so it's hard to blame that on right-wing politics.

I think using referenda as voter bait for one party's base is a cheap tactic. It was petty and small when Republicans did it in the 2000s with gay marriage initiatives and in this decade with abortion bills. This is simply the other side of that coin.

And it's far less offensive for someone to want to be paid more than it is for someone to actively seek to take away other people's freedoms and choices.

Wouldn't you want to see a referendum on the medicaid expansion this Nov here in Texas?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 02:18:31 PM »

Wouldn't you want to see a referendum on the medicaid expansion this Nov here in Texas?

I'm pretty sure he would, but I think he's only talking about how he hates politicians using referendums to try and turn out their bases (It really is a cheap tactic).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies