do you actually care about the world cup?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:30:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  do you actually care about the world cup?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ....
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 86

Author Topic: do you actually care about the world cup?  (Read 6810 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2014, 01:21:20 PM »

Yes (normal)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2014, 01:21:51 PM »

The fats and dumbs here can't stand the sport because they don't get 48 commercial breaks to go get more snacks.

Pfffttt..... shows what you know. You can get up from a soccer match anytime for beer or snacks or the john or even a nap, and you're virtually guaranteed to miss nothing.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2014, 01:27:20 PM »

You could miss a situation like Ghana-Uruguay or Germany-England in 2010, but the percentage of exciting soccer matches is very low (especially for such an important tournament). Whereas I feel like October baseball is objectively intense and exciting and great for background noise if your team isn't involved.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2014, 01:51:47 PM »

Yes, with high hopes that France is obliterated and humiliated.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2014, 04:40:57 PM »

World Cup is okay to watch, but the 2010 Netherlands-Spain final was the most gut-wrenching, painful, and most emotional soccer game I have seen in my life. My friend (who is a Dutch-American) couldn't get out of bed for weeks due to that game. Hopefully the U.S. wins, though.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2014, 04:44:43 PM »

I'm a member of the great British empire so yeah.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2014, 04:47:16 PM »

Stop that.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2014, 04:53:31 PM »

Don't listen to Phil, bronz. The guy literally supports the Italians.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2014, 05:13:59 PM »

I feel like people who say that nothing happens in soccer are implying that the only thing that matters in a sports game is the goals. I find the notion that you need the scoreboard to tell you when something is exciting pretty simplistic.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2014, 05:15:26 PM »

You're not nearly that stupid to believe the U.S. has any shot at winning.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2014, 05:19:56 PM »

They might win against Ghana!
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2014, 05:22:39 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2014, 05:27:30 PM by DemPGH »

The fats and dumbs here can't stand the sport because they don't get 48 commercial breaks to go get more snacks.

Pfffttt..... shows what you know. You can get up from a soccer match anytime for beer or snacks or the john or even a nap, and you're virtually guaranteed to miss nothing.

Haha. Or go grill a steak or bake a cake. Wink

Ball gets kicked out of bounds, then it has to be retrieved and thrown back in somewhere, then someone falls down with a cramp. Then the ball is kicked around the middle part of the field for fifteen minutes and ends up out of bounds again, then someone falls down with a cramp. Twenty minutes later, what might be a scoring opportunity is blocked up over the net. Then the ball is kicked around the middle part of the field for ten minutes, then someone falls down with a cramp.

Painful to watch. Painful.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2014, 06:09:20 PM »

I guess, though I'm not generally thrilled by soccer.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2014, 06:22:06 PM »

They might win against Ghana!

A big maybe...for one game. Have an enjoyable week.
Icehand Gino
Rookie
France

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2014, 05:37:54 PM »

Ball gets kicked out of bounds, then it has to be retrieved and thrown back in somewhere, then someone falls down with a cramp. Then the ball is kicked around the middle part of the field for fifteen minutes and ends up out of bounds again, then someone falls down with a cramp. Twenty minutes later, what might be a scoring opportunity is blocked up over the net. Then the ball is kicked around the middle part of the field for ten minutes, then someone falls down with a cramp.

Let me guess, the only game you have seen is Switzerland vs Ukraine in 2006 ? Smiley

There are some very dull matches of course, but they are not so frequent and from a certain point of view, it only makes great matches even more enjoyable.

Soccer/Football is more about drama than about pure show, a single goal can lead to a lot of stress even if it's early in the game. You don't know if your favorite team will have a good opportunity to come back, in most sports good opportunities are nearly guaranteed, not in soccer.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2014, 06:31:23 PM »

yep the world cup is awesome (and I always cheer for the Dutch, USA soccer is a joke and they shouldn't even bother, Dutch play real football and I have ancestral ties)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2014, 06:33:03 PM »

No (Normal), I do hope the USA does very well, but baseball is far better and, of course, real football - American football - is right around the corner.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2014, 06:35:36 PM »

Let me guess, the only game you have seen is Switzerland vs Ukraine in 2006 ? Smiley

There are some very dull matches of course, but they are not so frequent and from a certain point of view, it only makes great matches even more enjoyable.

Soccer/Football is more about drama than about pure show, a single goal can lead to a lot of stress even if it's early in the game. You don't know if your favorite team will have a good opportunity to come back, in most sports good opportunities are nearly guaranteed, not in soccer.

Ha, I was exaggerating a little. It's just hard to put into words from a North American perspective how the sport is viewed as just not interesting. You make a good point, though. Even in baseball, which is "boring," there is a chance to score every time a person comes to the plate.

Anyway, I'll keep up with the USA via one of the sports channels like ESPN. A lot of the problem here as well is that a lot of the matches will be on at midnight or nine in the morning. Those are obviously very inconvenient times.

I suppose if I had to, a team from western Europe (England or France) I'd root for if not the USA. That would be only for ethnic reasons.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2014, 12:33:02 AM »

No (Normal), I do hope the USA does very well, but baseball is far better and, of course, real football - American football - is right around the corner.

I can imagine how you might feel that way. Actual football involves lots of physical activity for the player, instead of standing around huddled up every 30 seconds or running to second base once or twice a game.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2014, 12:52:46 AM »

It should be noted that by far the worst thing about soccer is people who like soccer.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2014, 01:00:08 AM »

It should be noted that by far the worst thing about soccer is people who like soccer.

Perhaps, but worse than the dislike of football are...indeed....the Americans who dislike it out of principle without knowing the first thing about it (like Bushie).
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2014, 01:45:59 AM »

American Football is even more boring than Soccer, and that's saying something.

Aussie Rules sh**ts all over both, obviously.

That said, the World Cup is great.

Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2014, 04:57:27 AM »

Yes. (Not Murican)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2014, 10:19:52 AM »

Says the guy who watches it at a soccer bar where snacks and drinks are brought to him, with no interruptions.  Tongue
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2014, 12:42:33 PM »

It's the only major sporting event worth caring about - despite the football usually being pretty poor (normal)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies