SENATE BILL: Right to Empowerment Act of 2014 (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:33:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Right to Empowerment Act of 2014 (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Right to Empowerment Act of 2014 (Failed)  (Read 2184 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2014, 07:59:31 PM »
« edited: June 23, 2014, 06:29:04 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

Sponsor: TNF
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 08:00:18 PM »

No non-TNF bills and clogging rule only applies if there are subsequent bills by other Senators.

So what is this man?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 10:09:34 PM »

Unions are good contributors to my election campaign the Atlasian working class. I support this bill.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 11:30:55 AM »

This bill will streamline the union recognition and unionization process, and will allow more workers to form unions.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 06:48:51 PM »

How does this work presently? What is the limit on the number of workers and so forth in a business that can be unionized?

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 09:47:36 AM »

How does this work presently? What is the limit on the number of workers and so forth in a business that can be unionized?

As it stands, there are no limits on what businesses can be unionized and by how many workers. What this law does, in effect, is regularly schedule union elections, and thus make it easier for workers to organize unions.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 03:26:15 AM »

So does this effectively mean we're creating a "union year"? Can't we just make these elections the day after Labor Day or something, so we don't to create a new calendar? Or am I misunderstanding?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 11:07:53 AM »

So does this effectively mean we're creating a "union year"? Can't we just make these elections the day after Labor Day or something, so we don't to create a new calendar? Or am I misunderstanding?

This bill schedules an election in all non-union workplaces a month after the beginning of a new year. I would be completely fine with changing that date around to Labor Day (which in Atlasia is May 1st, mind) if that's what the Senate would prefer on this bill.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 06:47:53 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=183535.msg4010374#msg4010374

Why wasn't this included as part of this previous act?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 03:38:30 AM »

This bill schedules an election in all non-union workplaces a month after the beginning of a new year. I would be completely fine with changing that date around to Labor Day (which in Atlasia is May 1st, mind) if that's what the Senate would prefer on this bill.

Oh, so I did misunderstand. The election just needs to be in January? That's fine with me.

Of course, we now need to specify what type of year we mean (Gregorian vs. Atlasian) thanks to Simfan's ridiculous policy on the matter.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 08:39:32 PM »

What is the President's view on this at present?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 08:52:03 PM »

I've always been leery of forcing people to hold union elections or forcing them to join unions. It's called collective bargaining for a reason. I don't want to give unions too much power like I don't want businesses having too much power.

Presently, if workers want to hold a union vote, what is stopping them? We outlaws all kinds of union busting tactics already to give them more freedom to operate.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 09:24:44 PM »

Do we not have existing laws in place that more or less allow for this? It was my understanding that a vote on unionization by employers could be brought essentially at any time. I'm not against this; just trying to figure out where current unionization measures stand, because we've proposed and passed a lot regarding unionization over the past year or so.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 11:41:09 PM »

Do we not have existing laws in place that more or less allow for this? It was my understanding that a vote on unionization by employers could be brought essentially at any time. I'm not against this; just trying to figure out where current unionization measures stand, because we've proposed and passed a lot regarding unionization over the past year or so.

From my understanding, unions have plenty of rights and methods by which they are heard, and we already heavily restrict anyone from breaking up or forbidding unions from forming.

I have always opposed handing unions exclusive control or basically state sponsoring them to gain even more power. If workers want to unionize, they have all the rights and tools in the world to do so. This bill isn't necessary to force union votes.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 10:25:27 AM »

Even with all the rights accorded to them, some employers are going to break the law and make it hard for workers to unionize. This avoids that entirely by making sure that votes are held, whether the employers like it or not, and they've got next to no input in it. This bill would truly make the right to organize a union one that is fully protected under the law because it would give unions real equality with employers by giving them a chance at forming every single year with state aid. The state already makes it possible for corporations to form and aids them with charters and grants; why should it not to the same for labor unions?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 06:57:20 PM »

Then what was the purpose of the Employee Non-Interference thing I linked above. Wasn't that suppose to avoid such disruptive actions?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 11:35:02 AM »

Then what was the purpose of the Employee Non-Interference thing I linked above. Wasn't that suppose to avoid such disruptive actions?

From my understanding, it was. I echoed the same concerns with that I am echoing now, in that I want to keep "collective bargaining" alive and well and have it fair for both sides, instead of handing power of to one side and making them at the mercy of others.

If anything, I have remained consistent here. Tongue
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 12:01:36 PM »

The idea that, even with state recognition of labor unions, labor and capital are "equal" in terms of power relations is patently absurd. Can labor move whole industries overseas, hire and fire, or make decisions on investment?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2014, 02:17:02 PM »

The idea that, even with state recognition of labor unions, labor and capital are "equal" in terms of power relations is patently absurd. Can labor move whole industries overseas, hire and fire, or make decisions on investment?

No, but that's not the labor's job now, is it? Tongue

We have management for a reason. Nothing would ever get done if every single employee was making decisions, nor do many employees want to make management decisions like that. Imagine the inefficiency!
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 09:00:26 AM »

No, but that's not the labor's job now, is it? Tongue

We have management for a reason. Nothing would ever get done if every single employee was making decisions, nor do many employees want to make management decisions like that. Imagine the inefficiency!

It should be labor's job.

Managers are parasites that should be ultimately replaced by elected workers' councils.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 08:09:01 PM »

The thing is that labor is merely one of the factors of production and managements job is combine them all into a successful enterprise. I thought your problem was with Capital, how does shooting the one who puts the puzzle pieces together acheive the desired aim?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 10:17:58 AM »

The thing is that labor is merely one of the factors of production and managements job is combine them all into a successful enterprise. I thought your problem was with Capital, how does shooting the one who puts the puzzle pieces together acheive the desired aim?

Management is fine provided that it is democratically elected and it is accountable to the workers. Otherwise it's a police functionary of Capital.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 08:39:15 PM »

Is that inherently going to be case in any for-profit enterprise though? In a non-profit or cooperative entity, it would necessarily be reversed and as you prefer it.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 10:48:36 PM »

Is that inherently going to be case in any for-profit enterprise though? In a non-profit or cooperative entity, it would necessarily be reversed and as you prefer it.

You should know by now that the idea of profit is near anathema to our Midwestern colleague.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2014, 11:30:36 AM »

Yes, we all know TNF is a commie that wants to nationalize all industry, so I'm not sure why we are lecturing to him about management and profits. Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies