Bloomberg slams liberal "culture of censorship" in Ivy League
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:56:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bloomberg slams liberal "culture of censorship" in Ivy League
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Bloomberg slams liberal "culture of censorship" in Ivy League  (Read 9882 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2014, 04:36:23 PM »

Didn't this knob ban Coca Cola or something?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2014, 05:57:36 PM »

To be fair, a religious studies prof was fired at my school (UIUC) for preaching about gay marriage. The way I understand it was that he was not just teaching religious positions on the topic, but was actually preaching his Christian view on it.
Meursault
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2014, 05:59:31 PM »

I'd have sh**tcanned him, too.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2014, 06:03:37 PM »

The GOP has wasted more of your money than the Democrats could ever dream of doing. And truly wasted it, not just put it into state programs that you may think are suboptimal.

Look at spending growth in the United States. A lion's share is mandatory entitlement spending.

And a lion's share of that mandatory entitlement spending is caused by the GOP's Medicare Part D.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2014, 12:58:30 AM »

The GOP has wasted more of your money than the Democrats could ever dream of doing. And truly wasted it, not just put it into state programs that you may think are suboptimal.

Look at spending growth in the United States. A lion's share is mandatory entitlement spending.

And a lion's share of that mandatory entitlement spending is caused by the GOP's Medicare Part D.

Maybe it's just because I was eight at the time, but I don't recall Democrats raising hackles about Part D, either. I haven't read much on it though, I could be wrong on that. But I'm currently under the impression it was uncontroversial at the time.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2014, 09:46:15 AM »

Nate Silver confirms that right of center politicians are almost totally absent these days as graduation speakers in the Ivory Tower. Lots of lip service is given to tolerance and a preference for diversity. That's the PC thing to do, particularly among those who like to think they are enlightened. The reality is very different. Click on the poll on that which Nate links in his article.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2014, 08:38:18 PM »

Nate Silver confirms that right of center politicians are almost totally absent these days as graduation speakers in the Ivory Tower. Lots of lip service is given to tolerance and a preference for diversity. That's the PC thing to do, particularly among those who like to think they are enlightened. The reality is very different. Click on the poll on that which Nate links in his article.

Given than faculty and students are overwhelmingly left-wing or non-political, why bringing someone clearly out of tune with them?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2014, 09:24:47 PM »

Given than faculty and students are overwhelmingly left-wing or non-political, why bringing someone clearly out of tune with them?

They want to add wingnut affirmative action to the already lucrative wingnut welfare system.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2014, 10:03:07 PM »

Part of the problem is that the Democrats haven't really done anything that would get students riled up and part is that while all politicians prefer speaking to like-minded people, conservatives have been more prone to that because they could afford to.  They still act like they can do that because they don't seem to have truly grasped that the political ground has eroded out from underneath them nationally because regionally they still have solid ground.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2014, 11:18:14 PM »

Maybe it's just because I was eight at the time, but I don't recall Democrats raising hackles about Part D, either. I haven't read much on it though, I could be wrong on that. But I'm currently under the impression it was uncontroversial at the time.

It's uncontroversial unless you also want to spout a narrative about how entitlement spending grows out of control naturally because it's an entitlement. Before Part D and the Bush tax cuts, Medicare was paid for.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2014, 12:02:58 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2014, 12:05:21 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

LOL, uncontroversial bills don't have the vote take hours in the middle of the night until they bribe and threaten enough Congressmen for it to barely pass. You clearly didn't pay the slightest attention to how it passed the House.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_Prescription_Drug,_Improvement,_and_Modernization_Act

LOL, "uncontroversial".
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2014, 01:56:44 AM »

They want to add wingnut affirmative action to the already lucrative wingnut welfare system.

Or, you know, it's just a big echo-chamber that breeds left-wing thought and a different perspective could do some good.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2014, 09:42:19 AM »

Or, you know, it's just a big echo-chamber that breeds left-wing thought and a different perspective could do some good.

Allowing a different perspective? That almost sounds like a liberal idea. Wink
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2014, 10:00:52 AM »

Yeah, SCREW THE MINORITY!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2014, 10:52:17 AM »

But remember, conservatives are wrong, and wrong viewpoints don't deserve to be listened to.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2014, 12:42:25 PM »

Commencement speeches are ceremonial and should rightfully be tailored to the preferences of students. Obviously a significant function of the commence speech is imparting some kind of timeless wisdom to students and students could certainly benefit from a different perspective but this function is destroyed if the speaker is perceived to be a craven hack. Considering that the event is for students and their family, it makes no sense to subject them to a speech from a political figure they despise. They're footing the (oftentimes astronomical) speaker bill via their tuition dollars.

Let's get this straight: censorship is not students expressing their preference for a commence speaker that is better suited for them. Censorship is not students protesting prominent conservative figures being hired as professors for outrageous sums of money. The claim that any of this constitutes censorship is designed to discredit the academy, which serves the political objective of conservatives.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2014, 12:58:29 PM »

So you're still not admitting that censorship goes on and now you're claiming that all this is part of a plan by the "others" to make the uni's look bad?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2014, 01:07:32 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2014, 01:38:45 PM by Simfan34 »

Bloomberg was speaking in broader terms than commencement speakers, however, but rather a general and concerted trend to shut out views not conforming to the prevailing liberal consensus on college campuses. I think the following describes it well:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/illiberal-education
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2014, 01:15:17 PM »

oh my god
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2014, 01:22:57 PM »

Metanarrative? Bloomberg is a poststructuralist now?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »

Yeah, I'm sure college students will want Ann Coulter or Sean Hannity to speak at their graduation ceremony to tell them how stupid and brainwashed they are. It's already been shown that sane and normal Republicans have spoken at commencement ceremonies. Unfortunately, the number of those decreases daily, and they are now close to extinct.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2014, 02:47:34 PM »

Conservatives control the departments that really matter -- economics, business administration, and finance. Sure, there are a lot of left wing college professors in physics or anthropology or oriental studies, but they aren't training the future masters of the universe.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2014, 03:03:54 PM »

Harvard awarded George H.W. Bush, a Republican President, an honorary degree this year.

It's an absolute travesty that liberal universities aren't inviting Joe the Plumber, the Duck Dynasty guy, or Donald Trump to address them for equal time.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2014, 03:13:56 PM »

Harvard awarded George H.W. Bush, a Republican President, an honorary degree this year.

It's an absolute travesty that liberal universities aren't inviting Joe the Plumber, the Duck Dynasty guy, or Donald Trump to address them for equal time.

I assume these "very, very concerned" people are also slamming Liberty University for never inviting Nancy Pelosi or Al Gore for commencement speeches.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2014, 03:23:47 PM »

Metanarrative? Bloomberg is a poststructuralist now?

No, but apparently Rod Dreher is pretending to be one, much like an otherwise conventionally macho man putting on a tacky wig and tackier dress for one school play in his late teens or early twenties and considering it 'drag'. That's less surprising.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies