Bloomberg slams liberal "culture of censorship" in Ivy League
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:13:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bloomberg slams liberal "culture of censorship" in Ivy League
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Bloomberg slams liberal "culture of censorship" in Ivy League  (Read 9895 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2014, 08:08:14 PM »
« edited: May 30, 2014, 08:26:50 PM by Simfan34 »

Michael Bloomberg Blasts Ivy League For Liberal 'Censorship'
http://www.businessinsider.com/michael-bloomberg-blasts-ivy-league-for-liberal-censorship-2014-5#ixzz33FcKGdbE

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Bloomie, how truly we miss you. Although I would have liked to have heard this sort of stuff when you were in office, it is the truth, and I'm glad he's telling. We really do miss you. Cry
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 08:17:17 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2014, 08:18:48 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

What a load of rubbish. Conservatism isn't persecuted in universities nor is it censored. Conservative academics are no more likely than liberal academics to believe that they're persecuted for their political beliefs. Bloomberg is just butthurt because his policies have been systematically discredited by the academy and his most prominent critics reside in the academy, which is no excuse to spread slander.

Is it just me or does this resemble McCarthyism?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 09:20:08 PM »

I agree with the spirit of what he's saying, but he lost me when he compared the treatment of conservatives to McCarthyism.  That's a gross exaggeration.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 10:21:49 PM »

lol.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 11:01:39 PM »

Does anyone actually care what Bloomberg thinks anymore?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 11:10:04 PM »

Doesn't Bloomberg like censorship?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 11:28:49 PM »

I think it the natural human condition to censor speech which it makes one uncomfortable to hear. That impulse knows no boundaries, be it of class, wealth or erudition. It's just too powerful a human impulse. That is why the uniquely robust application of the Free Speech right in the US, is truly its most gleaming jewel in its crown. Thank heavens that the quads within the Ivory Tower are not co-extensive with the public square. Were it, the Fruited Plain would be something nearer to a wasteland, and farther away from any sort of Shining City on the Hill, than it is - at least to me.

I do find the hubris of the academy irritating, and found it so when I was there, and challenged it, and did not hesitate to go after academics, no matter what their station or prestige, whom I thought failed to parse the competing considerations in any fair or balanced way, and were just too comfortable in their ways. As a Magistrate in Hong Kong once told me when we were sharing bread, and then drinks together, on my legal junket to the place, it is in the folk culture of the Anglosphere to challenge authority, and do so with relish, in a way that does not obtain in most of the planet outside it.  It certainly does not in Chinese culture, which was the magistrate's point - that he needed to be more careful in exercising his authority, knowing all too well it would not be subject to challenge if he got it wrong, in the way it would in the Welsh culture in which he grew up.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 11:44:12 PM »

I think it the natural human condition to censor speech which it makes one uncomfortable to hear. That impulse knows no boundaries, be it of class, wealth or erudition. It's just too powerful a human impulse. That is why the uniquely robust application of the Free Speech right in the US, is truly its most gleaming jewel in its crown. Thank heavens that the quads within the Ivory Tower are not co-extensive with the public square. Were it, the Fruited Plain would be something nearer to a wasteland, and farther away from any sort of Shining City on the Hill, than it is - at least to me.
snip
I've always thought of the Anglosphere as having a sort of Sonderweg on the issue of free speech and authority: we aren't dictatorships like China or Venezuela but we aren't habitual revolutionaries/anarchists like the French and the Somalis.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 12:14:49 AM »

He brings up a good point, but the conservative censorship at universities is grossly overstated by the right-wing.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 01:50:50 AM »

I'm surprised that people take the conservative persecution complex seriously. Does anyone honestly believe that liberal censorship exists at universities?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 05:05:01 AM »
« Edited: May 31, 2014, 05:08:17 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

LOL, if universities were censoring conservatives, UC Berkeley would have fired John Yoo long ago.

Stanford once fired a tenured professor for being too liberal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._Bruce_Franklin

Bloomberg is 100% wrong here.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 05:16:09 AM »

I'm surprised that people take the conservative persecution complex seriously. Does anyone honestly believe that liberal censorship exists at universities?
Are you funking kidding me?  Not that this will change much but....
Tom Tancredo not allowed to speak at UNC by angry crowd
Don Feder not allowed to speak at University of Massachusetts at Amherst by mob
Canadian lefties suck too, anti-abortion speaker was physically blocked from the stage
Ehud Olmert shouted off stage at U of Chicago
Ray Kelly forced off stage at Brown

I could do this for days.  So either you don't consider that "liberal censorship" (which would be moronic) or don't pay attention to things very well because this happens a LOT.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 06:00:52 AM »

lolbloomberg
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 06:56:18 AM »

Walter Mitty?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 07:19:35 AM »

Well of course American acedemia has a "liberal" bias. So does reality. You can't expect intelligent, educated people to take the majority of American conservatism seriously.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 07:40:51 AM »

Did anyone ever?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 09:07:01 AM »

Bloomberg arrested and jailed hundreds of demonstrators during the 2004 RNC, and didn't give a damn about the first amendment or censorship when he wanted to put on a good show for the Republicans. He only cares when people like him are affected.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 09:13:53 AM »

Interesting perspective here:

snip:

More:http://www.salon.com/2013/06/18/is_there_a_liberal_bias_in_academia_partner/
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 09:49:22 AM »

Well of course American acedemia has a "liberal" bias. So does reality. You can't expect intelligent, educated people to take the majority of American conservatism seriously.

Americans take conservatism seriously because we have the most incompetent liberals in the developed world. If Democrats did something other than waste our money, they would never have lost power in the 1980s.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 09:54:05 AM »

Americans take conservatism seriously because we have the most incompetent liberals in the developed world. If Democrats did something other than waste our money, they would never have lost power in the 1980s.

The GOP has wasted more of your money than the Democrats could ever dream of doing. And truly wasted it, not just put it into state programs that you may think are suboptimal.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2014, 10:48:41 AM »

Some of the most conservative economists I've read are from Harvard.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2014, 11:04:05 AM »

we have the most incompetent liberals in the developed world.

American liberals are very competent. Look at how they've prevented any meaningful change to the health care system or to the economic system at large.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 12:08:30 PM »

The GOP has wasted more of your money than the Democrats could ever dream of doing. And truly wasted it, not just put it into state programs that you may think are suboptimal.

Look at spending growth in the United States. A lion's share is mandatory entitlement spending.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 12:09:50 PM »

Look at spending growth in the United States. A lion's share is mandatory entitlement spending.

Looking solely at spending growth doesn't give you the full picture on wastefulness. Not by far.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2014, 01:36:53 PM »

Did anyone ever?

Touche
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies