Democrats voting in GOP Primaries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:11:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democrats voting in GOP Primaries
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats voting in GOP Primaries  (Read 809 times)
GaussLaw
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2014, 10:05:11 PM »

How much of an influence have Democrats (not WV-type DINOs but actual legitimate Democrats) had on GOP primaries?  For instance, did a good chunk of Paul Broun's vote come from Democrats?  Will there be a sizable chunk of Democrats voting for McDaniel so Childers would have a shot?

Is there any data on this?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 03:17:29 AM »

The only reason Matt Mead is Governor of Wyoming is because of the support many Democrats gave him in the 2010 GOP Primary that enabled him to edge out a far-rightwinger.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 05:02:57 AM »

The only reason Matt Mead is Governor of Wyoming is because of the support many Democrats gave him in the 2010 GOP Primary that enabled him to edge out a far-rightwinger.

Much more often we see the opposite - the practice of "rating", which i abhor. For example - i know substantial number of California Democrats, who already voted Donnelly in coming gubernatorial "top 2" primary (though Brown is in no danger of defeat there). The practice of "choosing the most problematic or Akin-prone" opponent, which "rating" essentially is, annois me greatly.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 11:48:05 AM »

I think the same thing is likely to happen in Mississippi this year.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 11:49:55 AM »

I think the same thing is likely to happen in Mississippi this year.

Yep sure,  some democrars won't try to help Mcdaniels Tongue
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »

Also from the RRH poll, FWIW:

CD1 is McDaniel's second strongest CD. I wonder how many Childers supporters are voting for McDaniel.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 01:53:33 PM »

Also from the RRH poll, FWIW:

CD1 is McDaniel's second strongest CD. I wonder how many Childers supporters are voting for McDaniel.

A lot, probably.. CD1 seems to be closest to "old South" districts to me - somewhat populist on economy, but fiercely social conservative - the counties that voted for "personhood" initiative are mostly there...
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 10:17:23 PM »

I don't know about Mississippi, but here in Madison, there were hyper liberal wards with 4-5 times as many votes for Rick Santorum in the Republican Primary as there were votes for Mitt Romney in the general election. Perhaps all these disappointed Santorum voters on Willy Street decided Romney was just too much of a social liberal to vote for him, but I suspect otherwise Wink

However, I imagine this phenomenon is largely limited to areas with a progressive activist base. While I'm sure some Mississippians will do this, it doesn't seem to be the right kind of state for that type of liberal gamesmanship.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 10:35:50 PM »

However, I imagine this phenomenon is largely limited to areas with a progressive activist base. While I'm sure some Mississippians will do this, it doesn't seem to be the right kind of state for that type of liberal gamesmanship.

Exactly. 

As I stated earlier today:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Why risk trading Cochran for Childers and getting McDaniel when Cochran and Childers would vote the same way on all the important issues?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 11:04:37 PM »

Exactly. 

As I stated earlier today:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Why risk trading Cochran for Childers and getting McDaniel when Cochran and Childers would vote the same way on all the important issues?

Cochran will vote to repeal Obamacare, Childers won't. That's a huge pretty issue to me.

But overall I agree that it's not worth the gamble to help throw out Cochran for the chance of Childers. I would need to be at least 80% sure of a Childers victory over McDaniel to consider that, and I'm definitely not there.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 12:11:02 AM »

In very strong Republican areas, the percentage of voters in Republican primaries who are Democrats can be anywhere from 10-20%. Democrats don't all get together and vote to cause mischief in these things, though - we're not that organized. By and large, the reason Democrats vote in them is because Republicans control local affairs and so quite the contrary, they're usually SUPER SERIOUS about picking the lesser or two or more evils ("I'm voting for x candidate because school board and my kids"). I really doubt it's any different for statewide races.

Take a look at my most recent assessment of primary voting participation in Georgia for 2014 and compare some of the strong Republican counties' Democratic percentage of the vote to mid-term general and presidential general elections' equivalents.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 12:16:18 AM »

I voted in the GOP primary in Illinois this year, but legitimately. I liked Rutherford as a GOP candidate and my pro-same sex marriage Republican state rep who I actually really like had a primary organized against him from out-of-district downstate conservative hacks after his vote in the legislature.

I was having none of that and neither was my district. I'll vote for him again in November.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 04:37:22 AM »

While I'm sure that there is some tiny fraction of these cross-overs who would vote for the least-electable candidate to help their own side, I think those are outnumbered by those that like a particular candidate of the other party, or who want the "lesser of two evils".
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 12:52:30 PM »

Yeah, it seems like the partisans who will vote strategically in primaries for the other party are a fairly limited group.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 02:43:58 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/seeking-edge-dems-meddle-in-gop-races-107346.html?hp=t3_3
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies