Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, imprisoned by Taliban in Afghanistan since 2009, is freed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:05:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, imprisoned by Taliban in Afghanistan since 2009, is freed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, imprisoned by Taliban in Afghanistan since 2009, is freed  (Read 18518 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2014, 10:28:09 PM »

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/06/bergdahl-s-dad-drone-killed-captor-s-kid.html

ummmmm guys... this is LITERALLY exactly the same story as Homeland at this point.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2014, 10:33:14 PM »

Well it's lucky that Bowe isn't being treated like a hero and won't be drafted for Congress.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #127 on: June 06, 2014, 10:52:40 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Can you imagine if a Democrat said this? Alan Grayson got relentlessly hammered for calling his opponent "Taliban Dan". Jim Risch says Obama is worse than Al Qaeda, Iran, North Korea, and the Taliban, and gets off scot free.
Meursault
« Reply #128 on: June 06, 2014, 10:58:27 PM »

I loathe these self-important fear peddlers so very, very much. And I am irreconcilable to an America they control.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2014, 05:44:25 AM »

I'm legitimately shocked, and frankly scared, about the stunning cultural disconnect between the people here and the real world of the military. There was a gentleman on Fox who talked about this. Being a deserter is second only to actively betraying your country in terms of severity. As the guy on fox said, being a deserter isn't like being a little too hungover and skipping Gender 101.

if anyone is a traitor, it is the people who are literally supporting the continued imprisonment of an american citizen by the taliban. just saying.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2014, 08:18:16 AM »

I'm legitimately shocked, and frankly scared, about the stunning cultural disconnect between the people here and the real world of the military. There was a gentleman on Fox who talked about this. Being a deserter is second only to actively betraying your country in terms of severity. As the guy on fox said, being a deserter isn't like being a little too hungover and skipping Gender 101.

if anyone is a traitor, it is the people who are literally supporting the continued imprisonment of an american citizen by the taliban. just saying.

Even assuming the GOPies are correct in their summarizing of Bergdahl, is a treacherous enemy sympathizer with an unpredictable mental state really the sort of person you want to simply forget about? Best case scenario, we traded a few runts to recover a POW. Worst case scenario, we traded the same runts to bring a deserter and potential Adam Gadahn sequel to the justice and due process we guarantee (kinda sorta hahah not really) to everybody. I see no downside either way.

I'm thankful that in this situation the shotcallers acted decisively and without consideration for the selectively namby pamby BS the Fox crowd ferments in their heads.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2014, 09:48:40 AM »

So...the war is ending soon, and we can't exactly hold Taliban people indefinitely after we are no longer at war with the Taliban.  It seems to me that this exchange is closer to "we might as well get something back for these guys, what are the Taliban offering" than "we'll give anything to get our guy back."

Unless people seriously think that we could indefinitely continue to hold representatives of a defeated in war government that haven't been tried for warcrimes after the war itself ended?
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2014, 12:28:04 PM »

Even assuming the GOPies are correct in their summarizing of Bergdahl, is a treacherous enemy sympathizer with an unpredictable mental state really the sort of person you want to simply forget about? Best case scenario, we traded a few runts to recover a POW. Worst case scenario, we traded the same runts to bring a deserter and potential Adam Gadahn sequel to the justice and due process we guarantee (kinda sorta hahah not really) to everybody. I see no downside either way.

I'm thankful that in this situation the shotcallers acted decisively and without consideration for the selectively namby pamby BS the Fox crowd ferments in their heads.

Well, the one thing with your best-case scenario is that the runts will likely return to terrorism. Nevertheless, even though Bergdahl was not the greatest soldier in my opinion, I still think it was worth it to get him back from the Taliban, at least for the sake of reuniting him with his family.

Anyhow, I will say this to everyone that I interacted with on this thread: I sincerely apologize for my abrasive attitude in my prior posts. I should not have carried myself in the manner that I did, as it was unbecoming for any topic of discussion.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2014, 12:33:59 PM »

Well, the one thing with your best-case scenario is that the runts will likely return to terrorism. Nevertheless, even though Bergdahl was not the greatest soldier in my opinion, I still think it was worth it to get him back from the Taliban, at least for the sake of reuniting him with his family.

Anyhow, I will say this to everyone that I interacted with on this thread: I sincerely apologize for my abrasive attitude in my prior posts. I should not have carried myself in the manner that I did, as it was unbecoming for any topic of discussion.

These former prisoners aren't terrorists, they're members of the Taliban, which is the deposed former government of Afghanistan/current guerrilla anti-Kabul government rebel group that was aligned with a terrorist organization.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2014, 06:41:44 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2014, 08:30:37 PM by Never »

These former prisoners aren't terrorists, they're members of the Taliban, which is the deposed former government of Afghanistan/current guerrilla anti-Kabul government rebel group that was aligned with a terrorist organization.

Okay, so I take it that we should refer to the former prisoners as probable supporters of terrorism?

I understand that the Taliban was the former government of Afghanistan, but since their disposal, not only have they aligned with terrorists, but its supporters have apparently committed terrorist acts themselves.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2014, 06:50:22 PM »

They're not terrorists in the same way the Khmer Rouge weren't terrorists, I guess...
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2014, 09:59:48 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2014, 10:03:26 PM by The Mikado »

Okay, so I take it that we should refer to the former prisoners as probable supporters of terrorism?

I understand that the Taliban was the former government of Afghanistan, but since their disposal, not only have they aligned with terrorists, but its supporters have apparently committed terrorist acts themselves.

My point is more that, come a few months from now, we will no longer be at war with the Taliban, and continuing to hold prisoners of war after the war has ended is the behavior of rogue states and not becoming countries like the United States.  PoWs are supposed to be held until the end of hostilities so these Taliban folks would be going home soon anyway, might as well get something out of them.

EDIT: I'm not crazy here, right?  Letting PoWs go at the end of hostilities is still a thing, right?  We haven't charged these particular Taliban members with warcrimes, so we have no legal right to hold them after the cessation of the conflict.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2014, 05:33:27 AM »

Bergdahl's parents are now receiving death threats.  Troubling but not surprising.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2014, 06:06:32 PM »

This whole affair is depressing, in that it really goes to show people seem to really open their mouths and hurling complaints without understanding what is going on. I don't, although it looks suspect to me, I don't see why waiting to see what is happening seems to be so difficult to people.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2014, 06:36:19 PM »

This whole affair is depressing, in that it really goes to show people seem to really open their mouths and hurling complaints without understanding what is going on. I don't, although it looks suspect to me, I don't see why waiting to see what is happening seems to be so difficult to people.

All the more hilarious when it blows up in their face.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2014, 07:52:14 PM »

They think Bergdahl's daddy is a rag head sympathizer.  Why do these threats surprise anyone?
Meursault
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2014, 08:11:22 PM »

You think the same thing.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2014, 08:34:10 PM »

Man, why are the GOP risking their political capital on this? If it all blows over, the Republicans will look exceedingly mean-spirited. It seems like a dangerous tactic that turns away indies.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2014, 09:52:37 PM »

Bergdahl's parents are now receiving death threats.  Troubling but not surprising.

Oh man, all these years the father has been a reliable Republican, and now the entire Republican noise machine is aimed squarely at him.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2014, 10:07:30 PM »

These people are disgusting... but there is still a lot we don't know about this. The situation is very confusing.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2014, 11:07:55 PM »

Oh man, all these years the father has been a reliable Republican, and now the entire Republican noise machine is aimed squarely at him.

Well you see he grew a long beard but didn't wear an American Flag bandanna...rookie mistake.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2014, 11:16:04 PM »

= Taliban

= Patriot

Do I have that correct?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2014, 11:16:58 PM »

I guess they think James Garfield, Ulysses Grant, and ZZ Top were in the Taliban too.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #148 on: June 09, 2014, 10:47:26 AM »

True, but I've never considered threatening anyone.

Oh, and Joe, I'm up for sending the Duck Dude to GITMO with Daddy Bergdahl.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #149 on: June 09, 2014, 08:40:57 PM »

New poll out from Pew/USA Today:

http://www.people-press.org/2014/06/09/public-has-doubts-about-bergdahl-prisoner-exchange/

More people see this prisoner exchange as the wrong thing to do than the right thing to do:

Veterans and people who live in a household with a veteran are more likely than civilians to think the exchange was wrong, more likely to be angry with Bergdahl than sympathetic, and less likely to think that the US was obligated to do whatever it could to free him:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies