Political Compass: Question #14
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:41:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Political Compass: Question #14
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: It is regrettable that many personal fortunes are made by people who simply manipulate money and contribute nothing to their society
Strongly Agree

Agree

Disagree

Strongly Disagree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Political Compass: Question #14  (Read 695 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2014, 01:53:06 PM »

Disagree, but not strongly.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 02:21:18 PM »

Strongly agree, and action should be taken to prevent it from happening by liquidating capitalism.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 02:30:29 PM »

Very strongly agree
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »

You know you're out to lunch if you disagree with this question. Even the most ardent capitalists can't logically argue against this statement.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 02:43:54 PM »

Strongly agree, and action should be taken to prevent it from happening by liquidating capitalism.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 02:45:25 PM »

You know you're out to lunch if you disagree with this question. Even the most ardent capitalists can't logically argue against this statement.
I agree with the statement, but can you give me an example of a capitalist who fits this description?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 02:50:22 PM »

I agree with the statement, but can you give me an example of a capitalist who fits this description?

No, I doubt there are very many who could could come up with a logical reason.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 02:53:31 PM »

By "this description" I mean the statement in Question 14.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 03:03:17 PM »

This question is, as per usual, rather biased and poorly phrased. I strongly disagree with it though. I mean, how does one define 'contribution to society'? I mean, how? Besides that, I would argue that the 'manipulation of money' (by investing at the right time and then selling your shares as prices rise) is simply another part of the system that keeps the economy ticking over. Sure, people can make a killing off this without even getting off their backsides, but, at the end of the day, what is so immoral about that? There's nothing dubious about buying and selling shares; indeed, as I said before, it helps the market go round. However, back to my first point, how is one to define 'contribution to society'? Does one make a contribution to society by producing goods and services that people 'need' (a very subjective thing in of itself). I would say so, but, then again, I would argue that the buying and selling of shares does perform a useful function, and thus could be classed as a 'contribution to society'. Not to mention the fact that many people who do make money off this will plough some of it back into charitable causes, or as investment for firms. Both of these could be said to be a useful 'contribution' to society, even if, originally, the benefactors of such 'manipulation' of money could not be said to have contributed something to society in order to gain said monies.
Hamster
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 03:26:05 PM »

By "this description" I mean the statement in Question 14.

Carl Icahn.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 10:34:51 PM »

All of them fit the description of being parasites who live off of others' labor, if that's what you're asking here.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 04:06:53 AM »

Agree.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 06:14:21 AM »

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 06:32:17 AM »

Sorry what? I'd say that the question is illogical. Anyone who talks about "manipulating money and not contributing to society" probably doesn't understand how the economy works. I disagree with the statement in the respect that it makes no sense to me.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 10:03:51 AM »

Sorry what? I'd say that the question is illogical. Anyone who talks about "manipulating money and not contributing to society" probably doesn't understand how the economy works. I disagree with the statement in the respect that it makes no sense to me.

On the contrary, they know precisely how the economy works: a few non-productive parasites gouging the vast majority of mankind.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies