Do problems with the historocity of the Bible affect your faith (or lack of it)? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:11:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do problems with the historocity of the Bible affect your faith (or lack of it)? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do problems with the historocity of the Bible affect your faith (or lack of it)?  (Read 2421 times)
Meursault
« on: May 31, 2014, 04:16:58 PM »

My absence of faith is not predicated on any empirical truth-claim.
Meursault
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 05:22:17 PM »

Save that pi has never been three on the nose.
Meursault
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 12:58:22 AM »

I don't want near accuracy from the Living Word; "as good as any other estimate" does not cut it.

I suppose then that the Bible is as good as any other bit of sacred text.
Meursault
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 01:07:16 AM »

Or, to express it differently: because the Good News does not move my soul - because I do not find it as emotionally true as the Bhagavad-Gita, or as logical as the Law of Mani - it had better be more realistic than these.

But it isn't the history that bothers me. It's the little things, like getting pi wrong, or the exact weight of a talent. If G__ can sweat the small stuff like dietary laws, He can be exacting with His units of measurememt, not sloppy, like those filthy Baalists.
Meursault
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 03:38:33 AM »

Exactly.

That's how conscious life is.  Sentient beings fight, are selfish, are petulant, love conditionally, and are generally all-around hot-blooded motherers.

I prefer gods to be so relatable, rather than the numbing, droning Love of Christianity, or the weird anti-personality that is Allah.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies