Do problems with the historocity of the Bible affect your faith (or lack of it)? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:26:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do problems with the historocity of the Bible affect your faith (or lack of it)? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do problems with the historocity of the Bible affect your faith (or lack of it)?  (Read 2446 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: June 02, 2014, 10:29:45 AM »

Caring whether Biblical tales actually happened or not is for Protestants and atheists who think Protestantism is the only thing worth interfacing with.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 01:38:35 AM »

Or, to express it differently: because the Good News does not move my soul - because I do not find it as emotionally true as the Bhagavad-Gita, or as logical as the Law of Mani - it had better be more realistic than these.

But it isn't the history that bothers me. It's the little things, like getting pi wrong, or the exact weight of a talent. If G__ can sweat the small stuff like dietary laws, He can be exacting with His units of measurememt, not sloppy, like those filthy Baalists.

You find the Bhagavad Gita more emotionally true?  Krishna telling off whiny Arjuna to go fight because it's his dharma, it's what he was born to do, and because Arjuna is a Kshatriya fighting is simply is duty?  Krishna then revealing himself to be infinite and then proving to just be a guy pulling a chariot again, simultaneously (basically a Hindu version of the Transfiguration)?  I fail to see what makes the Bhagavad Gita in particular compelling unless you accept the premise of dharma, and I don't see how someone born outside the caste system could find the concept of dharma useful.  Arjuna is about as likable a character as Achilles and Krishna is a smug showoff.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies