Do problems with the historocity of the Bible affect your faith (or lack of it)? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:40:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do problems with the historocity of the Bible affect your faith (or lack of it)? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do problems with the historocity of the Bible affect your faith (or lack of it)?  (Read 2471 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« on: June 04, 2014, 08:15:47 AM »

Such problems did effect my faith some.  I mean, to whatever degree both the Hebrew and Christian scriptures represent "salvation history," then major difficulties with the historical narratives did, for me anyway, whittle away at the credibility of the whole narrative.  But ultimately these historical problems are not what did away with my Christian faith.  I was willing, even after learning about historical issues, to say to myself that the authors of the scriptures were human beings who, though they either made errors or were creating a mythic (not a derogatory term here) narrative, struggled to understand the relationship between God and the experience and history of their people.  Besides, as one political historian of India once aptly put it to me; "studying ancient history is a little like shining a penlight into outer space;" the instruments we have at our disposal are limited too, and there is so, so, so much we don't know about the past that humility and not arrogance is the proper attitude toward it all.  I ultimately turned away from Christianity because of larger philosophical and personal reasons. not because of historical issues. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies