Is it offensive to call queer people ‘queers’
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:57:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is it offensive to call queer people ‘queers’
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is it offensive to call queer people ‘queers’
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Is it offensive to call queer people ‘queers’  (Read 1571 times)
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2021, 03:36:34 PM »

Yes, and I wish the LGBT community hadn't tried to resuscitate the word. It's an ugly term that has always meant "weird", or "other" and not at all inclusive. Just say gay or trans or whatever.
gay had similar connotations not that long ago. personally i kind of like queer
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2021, 03:41:20 PM »

Yes, and I wish the LGBT community hadn't tried to resuscitate the word. It's an ugly term that has always meant "weird", or "other" and not at all inclusive. Just say gay or trans or whatever.

It had similar connotations but at least its primary definition wasn't negative. Queer is not just a word that means weird or other, it also implies that it's a weird or other that makes you uneasy and uncomfortable.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2021, 03:44:19 PM »

No, gay meant happy, queer meant weird or bizarre.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2021, 03:54:50 PM »

No, gay meant happy,
queer meant weird or bizarre.
heterosexual people were called straight because anything else was considered deviant and/or anti social behavior basically. straight as in... straight and narrow.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2021, 06:16:15 PM »

Depends on the person. I'm perfectly fine with it, but some people may not be.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2021, 08:15:31 PM »

Darn that English language for having so many synonyms available, that individual words can be periodically be appropriated for entirely different meanings. Smiley I'm still trying to explain to some of my fellow olds that gender and sex are no longer strict synonyms as they were 40 years ago. Tongue
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2021, 10:20:22 AM »

I'm still trying to explain to some of my fellow olds that gender and sex are no longer strict synonyms as they were 40 years ago. Tongue
They still are. It's only gone out of fashion to say that.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2021, 11:15:12 AM »

As always it depends on the context. The concept of reclaiming slurs has always been a divisive issue among LGBT people, with some being completely fine with the word altogether, some feeling it's only acceptable if LGBT people use it, and some not wanting to use the word at all. Queer as an adjective is gaining more mainstream attention lately because a lot of people have found it a useful label, especially if their gender and sexuality exist outside of the accepted binary. Generally speaking though it's offensive to use queer as a noun to refer to other people, as stated earlier in the thread.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2021, 11:34:51 AM »

Most people I see using the queer label these days are straight white women that want to pretend they're part of the LGBTQJRGUTBWKSGUTN community

This is both incorrect and bigoted.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2021, 03:34:29 PM »

Most people I see using the queer label these days are straight white women that want to pretend they're part of the LGBTQJRGUTBWKSGUTN community

This is both incorrect and bigoted.

no u
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2021, 08:03:32 PM »

As a transhet person, I find it important for a word like "queer" to exist. Not all LGBT people are gay, or even a sexual/romantic minority, and "LGBT" (and its variants) are a mouthful in spoken conversation, so "queer" is a great umbrella.

Isn't that the literal definition of the LGBTQ+ community?
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2021, 08:36:33 PM »

As a transhet person, I find it important for a word like "queer" to exist. Not all LGBT people are gay, or even a sexual/romantic minority, and "LGBT" (and its variants) are a mouthful in spoken conversation, so "queer" is a great umbrella.

There are straight trans people.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2021, 09:07:54 PM »

What does queer mean then?

"Queer" can refer to anybody who is not both cisgender and heterosexual.

I dont mean to ask something if it’s to private, but 1) what is your biological sex 2) what do gender do you identify with most 3) what are your pronouns and 4) what sex are you attracted to?
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2021, 10:22:20 PM »

That is a sexual minority.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2021, 12:23:10 AM »

That is a sexual minority.

Nope, heterosexuals are not a sexual minority. They're a gender minority. What makes a straight trans person queer has nothing to do with their sexuality, as being heterosexual isn't queer. Being transgender is queer, so that's what makes the straight trans person in question queer.

The definition of being queer or LGBTQ+, at least as far as I and most other people believe, is being anything that isn't heterosexual and cisgender. A cis lesbian and a straight trans dude would both fit the bill for being queer, even though the first person is cisgender and the second person is straight.
Klobmentum Mutilated Herself
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -8.35

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2021, 01:48:31 AM »

Queer is also an important term for nonbinary people to describe their sexualities. If homosexuality is attraction to people with your own gender, heterosexuality is attraction to people with the opposite gender, then where does that put you if you're nonbinary person dating a trans man, or a nonbinary person dating a cis woman? What's opposite, what's the same? For many nonbinary, the ambiguity in the labeling is the whole point of subverting labels and binaries. For them, no pun intended, queer is an empowering word that is very descriptive in its lack of specification.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2021, 04:45:27 AM »

Honestly, I refer to myself as 'Queer' sometimes, and I think it's good to reclaim typically derogatory words and make them positive / disperse the stigma they hold. That being said, I don't think it's the first way you need to refer to a friend whose a member of the LGBT+ community unless you know they're specifically comfortable with it / already refer to themselves that way openly.

I can't think of a non-offensive way in which a straight person would use the word 'Queers' in passing fwiw.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2021, 08:26:33 PM »

No but i think the prefered term is "queer folk."   Though personally I prefer "whites" or "white Americans" to "white people" (too much woke baggage)
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2021, 06:15:35 PM »

I'm still trying to explain to some of my fellow olds that gender and sex are no longer strict synonyms as they were 40 years ago. Tongue
They still are. It's only gone out of fashion to say that.
Weird, I don't recall having gender with your mom last night.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies