How many services does your church hold each Sunday?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:45:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  How many services does your church hold each Sunday?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How many services does your church hold each Sunday?  (Read 1529 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 01, 2014, 11:34:13 AM »
« edited: June 01, 2014, 11:35:52 AM by Emperor Scott »

Typically, we hold two services each Sunday throughout the fall, winter, and spring: one at 8:45 and another at 10:30.  On occasion, we will hold a single 10:00 service for youth-led worship and other special services, but that's generally been the status quo.  I attend the 10:30 services for convenience and because that's when most congregants show up.  Our pastor told us in Bible Study last week that the church is transitioning to a single 10 AM service this summer and will maintain that schedule from then on.  That will officially begin, I believe, next week or the week after, but I'll be out of Connecticut by the time it becomes a regular thing.  One reason for this is that this August, our junior pastor is moving back to Ohio, his home state, so the church sees this as an opportunity to make a few tweaks.

I know we're not the only church that does this, so to churchgoers: how many services are held each week, and to which one do you attend?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 12:01:22 PM »

We hold four services each Sunday: an 8 AM traditional service with music, but no singing; a 10 AM traditional service with music and a full choir; a 10 AM contemporary service that's based on traditional liturgy but uses stuff from Enriching Our Worship and has contemporary Christian music (occasionally themed - sometimes it's all jazz, sometimes just Johnny Cash - we had a U2charist a couple years back); and a full spoken service (no music) in the chapel off the main sanctuary at 6 PM. There's also a chapel service at noon on Wednesdays, and a potluck plus parishioner speech and songs at 6 PM on Wednesdays.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 12:36:24 PM »

The church I usually go to has 4 Masses each Sunday during most of the year and 2 during the summer (considering I live in Madison so this place is missing a decent fraction of its residents over the summer). The earlier Masses tend to have more traditional music and the evening ones have praise and worship style music. They also have confession before every Mass, which is something I think every Catholic church should do unless logistically impossible for some reason and I think it's really unacceptable most churches don't.

During the week, they have a noon Mass every day, which is fairly common.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 12:49:52 PM »

Three: Sunday morning, Sunday night & Wednesday night (youth service).
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 02:41:28 PM »

Each of the three churches I participate in has but a single Sunday service, of which the UU one skips the 4th Sunday, and another also holds a short service every other Thursday night.  I favor smaller, more intimate churches over larger ones, so it's not surprising that each holds but a single service.
Small L
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 08:29:28 PM »

My parish holds 8 Masses every Sunday, 5 in English and 3 in Spanish. They're spaced out every hour and a half, with the first one starting at 7:30 and the last one starting at 6:00.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 08:42:57 PM »

I haven't found a church to settle into in Tulsa, yet, so I'll use my church in Midwest City.  They have Sunday School at 9:30, Morning Worship at 10:45, Discipleship Training at 17:00 and Evening Worship at 18:00.  During the school year, there is dinner at 17:00 on Wednesday and Service at 18:30 all year long on Wednesday.  So, to answer the question, they have 2 services total on Sunday with an additional midweek service on Wednesday.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 09:27:15 PM »

Two. The Episcopal Church has two different Eucharistic rites, which have the same structure but very different language, so my church has one service for each. In a perfect world I'd prefer to go to Rite I, which uses a more antiquated register more familiar to somebody like me who came to Christianity mainly through classic Christian literature, but it's too early and doesn't have musical accompaniment.

We also have a Wednesday midday service and used to have a Saturday evening service but no longer do.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 09:30:55 PM »

My parish holds 8 Masses every Sunday, 5 in English and 3 in Spanish. They're spaced out every hour and a half, with the first one starting at 7:30 and the last one starting at 6:00.

Wow! How many priests does your parish have?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 10:15:42 PM »

Two in the summer, three the rest of the year.
Small L
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 10:56:38 PM »

Wow! How many priests does your parish have?
Just three regulars. Only one of them speaks Spanish, so he has to handle the Spanish Masses (they're consecutive!). About once a month a young priest who's involved in vocations visits to say a Mass or two.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 10:25:15 AM »

Two, a said eucharist at 7.30am, followed by a sung eucharist at 9.00am. I attend the latter.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 04:22:25 PM »

Zero (My church is sabbatarian.) Smiley

But otherwise, two.  A morning/early afternoon service at 11:00 Saturday, and then a vespers service at varying times in the evening (currently 5:00.)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 08:22:39 PM »

Standard masses on Sunday at 7:15am, 10:45am, and 5pm. Contemporary services Saturday at 5pm and Sunday at 9am.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 09:22:32 PM »

8:00 and 10:00 on Sundays
5:00 on Saturdays and an 8:00 am Saturday Morning mass (which was added 2 weeks ago).

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 09:50:08 AM »

The city parks are open from dawn till dusk so as many times as you want to walk there Smiley
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »

The city parks are open from dawn till dusk so as many times as you want to walk there Smiley

I'm not saying that Edinburgh is better, but our parks are open all day every day.

So what I'm saying is Edinburgh is better Tongue
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 09:29:19 PM »

You Scots seem to be confusing the place a church meets with the church itself.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies