Office of Representative Talleyrand
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:08:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Representative Talleyrand
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Office of Representative Talleyrand  (Read 15297 times)
Talleyrand
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 01, 2014, 10:14:30 PM »
« edited: April 20, 2021, 08:29:25 PM by Talleyrand »

Hello all. After a short absence from Atlasia, I have been drawn back into the game again- this time as a candidate for Governor of the Northeast. It has been quite some time since I've served in office at a regional level (and my times in the Northeast and Mideast Assemblies were the most enjoyable periods for me in Atlasia), and I have never held office on an executive goal.

My main goal, if elected, will be to boost the activity levels of the region, whether through a new system of election for Representatives to the Assembly, or trying to foster more heated debate in the body, along with trying to get more new people involved.

I don't have a detailed policy platform at the moment, although I am willing to answer any questions thrown my way. I hope to have some ideas available over the next few weeks to share with you all. Ask away!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 10:15:11 PM »

Excellent! Glad to see you back Talleyrand!
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 10:20:22 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2014, 10:25:25 PM by Talleyrand »

Excellent! Glad to see you back Talleyrand!

Thank you! The same to you. Smiley
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 10:37:18 PM »

Endorsed dear comrade.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 04:10:55 AM »

Endorsed obviously Smiley
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 04:49:37 AM »

Glorious news!
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 06:53:16 AM »

Endorsed.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 03:29:44 PM »

Obviously endorsed, my friend.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 07:42:53 PM »

Thank you all for your endorsements. Here is my banner, courtesy of Homelycooking.

Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 04:20:35 PM »

No questions???

Anyway, tomorrow I'll be talking about some ideas to reform the Assembly's structure.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 06:53:29 PM »

Reforming the Northeast Assembly (Two Proposals)

One issue the Northeast has seen many times in the past is an inability to secure enough active candidates or Representatives for the Assembly. Quite often, it has been a struggle simply just to find a person to hold a vacant seat. However, there are a couple of fixes we could do to possibly resolve this issue.

Three Representatives

This would undoubtedly be the easiest policy, because it would increase competition for fewer seats, while maintaining our current election system and the like. The Mideast Region currently has a system in which the number of seats available in its Assembly is tied to the number of declared candidates (3 seats if less than 6 choose to run; 5 otherwise), and I would be willing to compromise with something similar if needed, but after speaking with some longtime Northeast politicians, the more effective solution would simply be a permanent reduction. Having three active representatives instead of three active and two inactive representatives is certainly preferable.

Two District, Three At-Large

The Southeast Region has had success with this system, which allows for the election of two legislators from districts carved out of different states by population and three legislators in the traditional At-Large method. The idea behind such a change would be to shake up the system through which we choose the five representatives, instead of reducing them in number. Having two separate mechanisms to run for or elect members to the Assembly could do just that. With two districts of around twenty citizens each, this could work very well. The only roadblock is that the federal constitution currently allows for state changes once every twenty-four hours, which could render this system meaningless. I would try to push for a change to this law with the backing of some Senators if we tried to implement this.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 06:55:14 PM »

As a member of the IDS system, I am actually not a great fan of it. I hope, if you do go with a change, that is a three member legislature.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 11:21:40 AM »

As a member of the IDS system, I am actually not a great fan of it. I hope, if you do go with a change, that is a three member legislature.

Yeah, I would probably prefer that too, but I understand that some might prefer to keep five members.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 07:10:10 PM »

Updating the Wiki

The Northeast Statute page has not been updated since April. If elected, I will work to update the wiki to all legislation from the 25th and 26th Assemblies which are not already catalogued. In addition, the categorical index of Northeast Statute has not been updated since the 22th Assembly. This is an unfortunate development, as this page has been indispensable to the creation of legislation over the years, and I will work to remove repealed laws and categorize all laws from the 23rd Assembly onward with the assistance of the Representatives elected in the upcoming election.

Repealing outdated legislation

I would work to find and remove obsolete, unenforceable, and draconian laws from our books. I would first begin with the Northeast Cabinet Act- this bill was intended to allow newcomers to the game to "participate" without winning a political office, and has worked a few times, but as of late, all the offices within it are vacant (and I believe that if they exist at all, they should permanently be held by NPCs). I do not think that allowing newcomers control over a bureaucracy with little, at most, influence at all is a good way to integrate them into the game, plus this will reduce the office to active citizen ratio (sorely needed).

Consolidating legislation

I remain highly skeptical of a total legislative reboot in Atlasia, but its proponents do make a point that the preponderance of old laws in this game have made it difficult for some new members to enjoy. To combat this, I think legislation pertaining to some common issues should be combined (as we saw with the federal animal welfare act that passed in 2012). Some areas where this could be applicable include drilling, etc.

Allowing the CJO to administer elections

This has been proposed already, but as far as I am aware, it has yet to become law. I believe the person best suited to administer elections in the Northeast is the Chief Judicial Officer, the person most attuned to our legal system and statute. It would give a sorely needed additional responsibility to the position as well as take some weight off an executive's shoulders so they could spend more time working with the Assembly instead, along with making election administration theoretically more impartial.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 06:30:04 AM »

I also prefer the idea of the CJO running elections, but it doesn't need any additional laws to make it happen because Article IV Section 5 of the constitution reads:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

For whatever reason this has just never been followed through.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 11:11:37 AM »

Endorsed!
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 11:12:50 AM »

I also prefer the idea of the CJO running elections, but it doesn't need any additional laws to make it happen because Article IV Section 5 of the constitution reads:

It was the case, but when we had CJO's missing for periods of time we had to give the ability to open booths to the Governor, IIRC.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 09:07:55 AM »

It was the case, but when we had CJO's missing for periods of time we had to give the ability to open booths to the Governor, IIRC.

Yeah, given that CJO's are not allowed to hold other offices and are often unneeded for months at a time (has Nix heard a case yet?) it's not difficult to see why that happened.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 05:00:57 PM »

Did you support fellow Laborite Windjammer's unconstitutional assault on free speech?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 06:24:46 PM »

If elected, what would you do to make the game more fun?
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2014, 03:38:02 PM »

Did you support fellow Laborite Windjammer's unconstitutional assault on free speech?

I believe the Supreme Court made a correct decision in striking down the Midwest LGBT Hate Crimes  Law, which was unenforceable and discriminatory, whatever its intentions may have been. That said, while Windjammer has some unorthodox views on free speech which I strongly disagree with, there is no evidence he is spearheading any coordinated assault for its removal. I continue to believe he has been an excellent Governor of the Midwest and would make a fine Vice President.

If elected, what would you do to make the game more fun?

Atlasia is an elections game, and I think the 'fun' in it mostly depends on activity and competitiveness, which I have indicated I would work to increase if elected. In addition, I am open to any ideas to game reform for that purpose, and strongly support a Constitutional Convention, which would, at the very least, unclutter the game a fair bit for some time to come.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2014, 04:25:19 PM »

Endorsed!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2014, 05:06:01 PM »

Endorsed!
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 07:03:17 PM »

Thank you Alfred and SirNick.

Any questions in the last few days before voting begins?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2014, 07:05:27 PM »

Endorsed, you'll do well as a Governor.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies