Juan Carlos calls it a day
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:15:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Juan Carlos calls it a day
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Juan Carlos calls it a day  (Read 4270 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2014, 01:08:29 PM »
« edited: June 02, 2014, 01:10:40 PM by Simfan34 »

I think it's time Elizabeth did the same.

It would be out of character. It would also be generally undesirable until, say, 2025.

I am not saying he brought democracy to a people with no desire or concept of democracy. He simply did the right thing. But how many leaders have done the right thing? The number of autocrats who voluntarily elected to reduce their powers in favour of more democratic government can be counted on one hand, maybe two.

King John, one of the Frederiks in Denmark, Juan Carlos...

King John of Magna Carta fame? The Magna Carta was a concession prompted by a noble revolt, was it not?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2014, 01:10:22 PM »

It would be... remember, she lived through the abdication of her uncle (Edward VIII) and saw what the impact of being thrust onto the throne with no real preparation did to her father's health.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2014, 01:19:37 PM »

You seem to believe that Juan Carlos had magic powers and did all the hard work.

He did a lot of the hard work. While preserving a monarchy the way Franco planned for was not possible, many different things could have happened. A civil war - or a few of those. An unstable coup-prone Latin quasi-democracy. Putin-style caudillismo.  That Spain is a modern democracy today was far from pre-ordained. And Juan Carlos actively participated in making it what it is. He was not alone, of course. But he had a major role that hardly anybody else could have performed.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2014, 02:19:20 PM »

Isn't the future King George VII still rather unpopular in the UK?

Do you mean Charles? Nah, I don't think he's not that unpopular anymore, even if he occasionally says some questionable stuff...

He's easily the weakest link in the current succession line. I feel bad for the guy, quite frankly - an extremely messed up childhood (thanks Philip), constant mockery and a tortured personal life. Although I'm ambivalent towards the monarchy I often feel a strange feeling of pathos towards its constituent members. Ludicrous, I know.

I can't find the poll, but I'm pretty sure a large majority support the monarchy, but want it to skip a generation upon Brenda's passing. Which seems to me like, err, they don't really understand the monarchy?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2014, 02:31:10 PM »

I am not saying he brought democracy to a people with no desire or concept of democracy. He simply did the right thing. But how many leaders have done the right thing? The number of autocrats who voluntary elected to reduce their powers in favour of more democratic government can be counted on one hand, maybe two.

There's the King of Bhutan. But yes, it's pretty rare.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2014, 03:27:23 PM »

Sometimes I think it might be better if monarchies did that, skipped every other generation. Long reigns seem to do better service to the institution, and the glamour of a young monarch always provides a boost in popularity.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2014, 03:34:16 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2014, 03:36:09 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

It's the right decision at this juncture, and I might add one of which I think Juan Carlos's father would wholeheartedly approve.

Do you mean Charles? Nah, I don't think he's not that unpopular anymore, even if he occasionally says some questionable stuff...
Yeah, I meant Charles. On the other hand, the future George VIII is probably very popular in Britain right now.

Do you mean William? William, unlike his father and son, doesn't actually have 'George' anywhere in his given name and would thus probably not take it as his name as king.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2014, 03:36:10 PM »

Yeah, I meant Charles. On the other hand, the future George VIII is probably very popular in Britain right now.

Do you mean William? William, unlike his father and son, doesn't actually have 'George' anywhere in his given name and would thus probably not take it as his name as king.
This time, I meant the baby Tongue. I have a feeling that Prince William will be William V, since the first four were decent monarchs, unlike the first two Charles. Sorry my posts are confusing everyone, I'm not wording anything right.
Meursault
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2014, 06:20:57 PM »

The televangelist Jack van Impe promised me in 1993's Revelation Revealed that Juan Carlos was the Antichrist.

I'm upset he isn't.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2014, 06:23:23 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2014, 06:35:55 PM by Velasco »

You seem to believe that Juan Carlos had magic powers and did all the hard work.

He did a lot of the hard work. While preserving a monarchy the way Franco planned for was not possible, many different things could have happened. A civil war - or a few of those. An unstable coup-prone Latin quasi-democracy. Putin-style caudillismo.  That Spain is a modern democracy today was far from pre-ordained. And Juan Carlos actively participated in making it what it is. He was not alone, of course. But he had a major role that hardly anybody else could have performed.

Actually, I don't question his major role and his active involvement in the events after the death of Franco. Also, there is the fact that many people feared a new civil war in that time, because the openness that society was demanding was in frontal opposition with the Franco's old guard (called then 'the bunker'). Alternatives belong to counterfactual history and I'm not a big fan of it but, yes, many worse things could have happened. However and as you say, he wasn't alone and some sugarcoated and mythologizing narrative might make believe that, without the active collaboration of other people -inside and outside his inner circle- and the civil society, he would have 'brought' democracy to us like a grant. He deserves recognition, I have no doubt about it. I think that narrative I referred to, highly focused on the king and his inner circle, has contributed to one of the main criticisms against the Transition, the so-called 'Elite Pact'. There are others, such us the 'Oblivion Pact'. The voluntary amnesia on the Spain's recent past made some sense in the first years of the Spanish Transition, but it has lasted too long. Now we have a country besieged by multiple crisis (economic, territorial, moral, etc) with its main institutions exhausted (including monarchy), invaded by pessimism and in need of a change of direction. I would not like to be in Felipe's shoes, because he has a terribly complex challenge in front of him.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2014, 12:34:54 PM »

F[inks] you, you filthy republican. Juan Carlos has been far more "useful" to Spain in terms of job creation, diplomacy, and international reputation than any washed-up politician President would ever be. Africa begins at the Pyrenees no longer, thanks to him.

Shhh. Visit Spain first and then we'll talk about these issues. Being useful isn't enough to be a King. He did the right thing (because he had to) in the 70s and 80s, that for sure. But we haven't had the opportunity to oust him when he started being useless, expensive and polemic (a King should never be polemic).

What did he do in terms of job creation? And everything he did for international reputation was lost after the Urdangarin scandal, the elephant scandal, and, yes, the "Por qué no te callas?" among Latin American countries...

When this is how we, Spaniards, "like" our Monarchy, it doesn't have legitimacy. In a Republic, when the President loses his legitimacy, you can vote him out. There you have the difference Wink

Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2014, 12:59:59 PM »

It's the right decision at this juncture, and I might add one of which I think Juan Carlos's father would wholeheartedly approve.

From what it sounds like, Charles might be flimsy enough to abdicate in favor of his son. He doesn't seem at all happy with the attention he already gets as Prince of Wales -- as King, it'd be far worse.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 01:47:35 PM »

F[inks] you, you filthy republican. Juan Carlos has been far more "useful" to Spain in terms of job creation, diplomacy, and international reputation than any washed-up politician President would ever be. Africa begins at the Pyrenees no longer, thanks to him.

Shhh. Visit Spain first and then we'll talk about these issues. Being useful isn't enough to be a King. He did the right thing (because he had to) in the 70s and 80s, that for sure. But we haven't had the opportunity to oust him when he started being useless, expensive and polemic (a King should never be polemic).

What did he do in terms of job creation? And everything he did for international reputation was lost after the Urdangarin scandal, the elephant scandal, and, yes, the "Por qué no te callas?" among Latin American countries...

When this is how we, Spaniards, "like" our Monarchy, it doesn't have legitimacy. In a Republic, when the President loses his legitimacy, you can vote him out. There you have the difference Wink

Meanwhile Spain has been ran into the ground by its politicians and there's a potential for civil conflict with this Catalonian independence referendum.

Voters in democracies get the governments they deserve. Focusing on a powerless royal is a red herring.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2014, 10:49:46 AM »

I don't think that I deserve the government we have. Perhaps, if Felipe was useful in mediation and building bridges between Catalonia and the rest of Spain, I'd remain neutral on monarchy. It looks a nearly impossible task in this moment. On the other hand, the independence movement is peaceful and it's silly to think that we are on the verge of a civil war. Catalonia is not Crimea, don't you know? However, economic consequences of secession might be terrible in both sides and the political and territorial stability of what would remain of Spain might be in distress. Anyway, saying "no" to a referendum is not a solution. I don't like this one called on November 9 because questions are tricky, but some day Catalans will have to be asked on what the hell they want to be. Is it clear enough?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2014, 11:14:41 AM »

Catalonia is not Crimea, don't you know? However, economic consequences of secession might be terrible in both sides and the political and territorial stability of what would remain of Spain might be in distress.

Why would the economic consequences be terrible? Both states would still be in the EU with free movement of goods and persons.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2014, 06:38:16 AM »

Why would the economic consequences be terrible? Both states would still be in the EU with free movement of goods and persons.

That's what independence supporters say, but it's only feasible in the case of a friendly separation. The Spanish government considers that the referendum called in Catalonia is illegal and won't accept the results whatever they are. An unilateral secession would have the consequence that Spain will put a veto on Catalonia's admission. On the other hand, even Scotland will have to wait some years before being readmitted, if I'm not wrong. As for Spain, Catalonia represents 20% of the GDP and a good share of the industrial production. Also, the independence of Catalonia would likely be followed by the Basque Country or, at least, by increasing demands from this and other regions. The only way out is negotiation, constitutional reform and a referendum agreed between Spanish and Catalan governments.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2014, 11:21:07 AM »

That match did not help anything.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2014, 08:25:05 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2014, 08:33:29 AM by StateBoiler »

Catalonia is not Crimea, don't you know? However, economic consequences of secession might be terrible in both sides and the political and territorial stability of what would remain of Spain might be in distress.

Catalonia would not be per the muddled EU response to the issue because it requires unanimity from existing members, of which Spain is one.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Which Spain refuse to negotiate and Catalonia are pressing forward.

Meanwhile:

"@Edward_hugh·
 Real wages have been falling in Spain now since at least mid 2011. #deflation pic.twitter.com/nAnYKiVKKW"

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies