POLL re gay marriage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:04:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  POLL re gay marriage
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: How important is gay marriage to your vote?
Very Important (support gay marriage)

Somewhat Important (support gay marriage)

Not Important

Somewhat Important (oppose gay marriage)

Very Important (oppose gay marriage)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: POLL re gay marriage  (Read 3429 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2014, 06:18:27 PM »

Sorry, what is this thread about now...?

How white people are the scum of the earth.

Your reading comprehension is limited, friend.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2014, 06:38:10 PM »

Your ignorance is showing. Race is a modern concept that emerged out of colonialism and became solidified with Darwinism. It was not present in classical civilizations or medieval principalities. The Romans, Persians and Greeks possessed slaves of all phenotypes. Discrimination that appears on first glance to be similar to racism existed: the caste system in India, the destruction of indigenous peoples across Asia, Arab enslavement of Blacks. Yet none of these forms of oppression can be described as racist because they were justified on grounds outside of race.

The Japanese appropriated the concept of race as they modernized just as they appropriated liberalism. It was a foreign idea.

w/e, gay marriage is boring.

I think that's pretty much wrong.  People in antiquity didn't have a modern conception of race, as they didn't have a modern conception of anything, sure.  But, most people in antiquity never saw someone of a different race so they didn't need a word for race.  People didn't usually live in multi-ethnic/racial societies at all outside of few centers of trade.   There was always a view of "us" versus "them" in appearance, whether it was skin color, clothing or other habits. 

If you look at ancient Japan, do you think if a boat full of super dark East African or blond Swedes showed up in 1200, people wouldn't have gone absolutely nuts over their skin color and appearance?  I believe people fixate over different physical characteristics like skin color very easily and naturally.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2014, 06:53:55 PM »

This thread has gotten way off topic...

so ANYWAYS...

It seems like people who oppose same sex marriage are being PC and saying they are indifferent.  At the time I am writing this around 100 people have voted and only 3 oppose gay marriage??
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2014, 09:13:27 PM »

Why are you so aggressive and condescending when it comes to discussing race issues? What authority do you think you have to be the final say on race? Seriously, calm down.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Slavery was not racially justified before colonialism in the modern sense, true, but that doesn't mean discrimination didn't exist based on what is basically the equivalent of racism.

The human brain differentiates what we see, and I find it implausible that in history (whether it be 3000 BC, 500 AD, or 1200 AD) humans have not discriminated against each other, based on what you consider "modern racism".

When Europeans first made contact with Native Americans, the Natives did freak out. It wasn't always a "racist" reaction, but that proves that people differentiate based on skin color, as Native recollections often mentioned pale skin and lighter features. So yes, it is certain that racism did exist in some form or another among people before modern racial science came about.

White people did not "invent" racism. I get you've jumped on the "check your white privilege" bandwagon from your post history, but arguing there was nothing remotely like racism before evil white people just invented it is ridiculous.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Okay, cool. Then get off the topic if it bores you so much. Create your own thread about race, don't derail this one on gay marriage.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2014, 09:31:43 PM »

Sorry, what is this thread about now...?

How white people are the scum of the earth.

White people are in general pretty terrible though.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2014, 10:05:32 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2014, 09:17:26 AM by Never »

This thread has gotten way off topic...

so ANYWAYS...

It seems like people who oppose same sex marriage are being PC and saying they are indifferent.  At the time I am writing this around 100 people have voted and only 3 oppose gay marriage??

For one, it's not a scientific poll. I seriously doubt that any poll on Atlas could ever get a decent sample of respondents.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2014, 09:16:39 AM »

Although it's one of my higher priorities, I voted "Somewhat Important" because I don't really have any deal-breaker issues.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2014, 01:02:44 PM »

Notice I am not saying that all white people are responsible but that white people are responsible. There's a distinct difference here.

As long as this distinction is constantly remembered I think it's sort of impossible to disagree much. I'm not even really sure what the issue is with what DFB is saying, here.

The claim that hating a race of people is not racist is bound to be controversial.

Racism against white people doesn't exist. No white person ever got denied access to jobs or housing because of their race. No white person ever got arrested for DWW ("Driving While White"-oh, it doesn't exist). No white President ever had their place of birth obsessed over and questioned because some non-white people didn't  think he was American. No white person was ever denied access to education-or a quality education-at any level because of their race. No white person has ever been assumed by the "mainstream" (ie: white, middle-class) society to be representative of all white people, or be judged by the worst of their race.

Understandable, justifiable resentment against white people =/= actual racism-which, by the way, is very much related to and frankly, inseparable from white supremacy, historically and currently. DFB is more or less correct about the historical origins of "race" as we understand it today-a justification for slavery, colonialism, and the destruction of entire cultures by wealthy white men. Whiteness is the default, the norm, the assumed standard of superiority and normalcy that every "Other" culture or group is judged against. Of course a lot of anger and bitterness against white people by minorities occurs; frankly, I'm surprised there's not more!
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2014, 03:22:56 PM »

Notice I am not saying that all white people are responsible but that white people are responsible. There's a distinct difference here.

As long as this distinction is constantly remembered I think it's sort of impossible to disagree much. I'm not even really sure what the issue is with what DFB is saying, here.

The claim that hating a race of people is not racist is bound to be controversial.

Racism against white people doesn't exist.

Cough, Black Panthers, cough

Understandable, justifiable resentment against white people =/= actual racism-which, by the way, is very much related to and frankly, inseparable from white supremacy, historically and currently. DFB is more or less correct about the historical origins of "race" as we understand it today-a justification for slavery, colonialism, and the destruction of entire cultures by wealthy white men. Whiteness is the default, the norm, the assumed standard of superiority and normalcy that every "Other" culture or group is judged against. Of course a lot of anger and bitterness against white people by minorities occurs; frankly, I'm surprised there's not more!

So resentment and bitterness against white people as a group doesn't count as racism? Basically, it seems like you support reverse racism.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2014, 05:57:25 PM »

Guys, I try to mod with a very light hand, but if you want to debate racism vs. the actual, y'know, topic at hand of gay marriage, kindly start your own thread. Now. Thank you.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies