POLL re gay marriage (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:33:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  POLL re gay marriage (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How important is gay marriage to your vote?
Very Important (support gay marriage)

Somewhat Important (support gay marriage)

Not Important

Somewhat Important (oppose gay marriage)

Very Important (oppose gay marriage)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: POLL re gay marriage  (Read 3487 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: June 02, 2014, 11:07:21 PM »

I agree with everything you've said about race baiting but I strongly disagree with the notion that his statement on slapping white people is racist. It is certainly expressing antipathy towards white people but hatred towards white people in that context is understandable. The idea of reparations is ridiculous but the general sentiment that white people are ignorant about race relations is rational and disliking them as a group, especially if you have little contact with white people outside of interactions regarding race relations or politics, for this reason is warranted and isn't racist. It's actually absurd to think that it's racist because it isn't predicated on some kind of essentialized trait or generalized behavior but rather an empirical truth.

Disliking people b/c of their race = not racist, and yet I'm a racist for god knows what reason.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 06:47:41 PM »

I agree with everything you've said about race baiting but I strongly disagree with the notion that his statement on slapping white people is racist. It is certainly expressing antipathy towards white people but hatred towards white people in that context is understandable. The idea of reparations is ridiculous but the general sentiment that white people are ignorant about race relations is rational and disliking them as a group, especially if you have little contact with white people outside of interactions regarding race relations or politics, for this reason is warranted and isn't racist. It's actually absurd to think that it's racist because it isn't predicated on some kind of essentialized trait or generalized behavior but rather an empirical truth.

Disliking people b/c of their race = not racist, and yet I'm a racist for god knows what reason.

This is incoherent.

Yes, your standard of defining who or what is racist is incoherent if I qualify but actually hating an entire race of people doesn't.  I don't know how you can say that disliking an entire race of people is warranted and claim that it isn't based on "an essentialized trait or generalized behavior." 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 08:05:13 PM »

This is incoherent.

Yes, your standard of defining who or what is racist is incoherent if I qualify but actually hating an entire race of people doesn't.  I don't know how you can say that disliking an entire race of people is warranted and claim that it isn't based on "an essentialized trait or generalized behavior." 

A non-negligible number of Black Americans dislike white people because some of their family members have been killed at the hands of white supremacists, been barred from eating at restaurants, been called degrading names, been racially profiled and denied their civil rights. If that doesn't warrant some degree of resentment, I don't know what does.

I can certainly see how it is understandable, but that doesn't mean it is warranted, and it is still racism.  It is absolutely based on a generalization against a group of people, and a group of people that are defined as having their essence characterized by their race. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 09:19:07 PM »

White Americans are responsible for the existence of racism. This is a fact, not a generalization. White Americans have significant advantages due to their perceived race. This is not a character trait, this is a reality. If you're annoyed by this state of affairs and blame white America for continuing to support a system of racial caste that upholds racial inequity, you're not a racist. White Americans are responsible for racism and deserve the blame and aspersions of those that they've oppressed unless they make significant efforts to change the status quo. 

I don't know what definition of "generalization" you could be using here.
Speaking in terms of "White Americans" as acting or being in a particular way is itself a generalization based on race, and extending a concept of race to impute collective guilt is to treat race as a reified object constitutive of a person's most essential being. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 12:16:09 AM »

Notice I am not saying that all white people are responsible but that white people are responsible. There's a distinct difference here.

As long as this distinction is constantly remembered I think it's sort of impossible to disagree much. I'm not even really sure what the issue is with what DFB is saying, here.

The claim that hating a race of people is not racist is bound to be controversial.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies