For religious people only: Do you personally favor allowing female preachers?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:25:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  For religious people only: Do you personally favor allowing female preachers?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Not religious

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: For religious people only: Do you personally favor allowing female preachers?  (Read 4934 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2014, 07:15:22 PM »

No. Absolutely not. It's just wrong.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2014, 08:54:10 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2014, 09:09:42 PM by the blue man group won't cure depression »

We had a woman speak today. She was wonderful. Love how she was so casual she even included the word "like" in the sermon multiple times, as a placeholder (Saying things such as "So then Moses was like "So God you really want me to lead my people? I'm not a leader and I don't know what to say" and then God was like "Don't worry, I'll tell you what to say. I got your back."")
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2014, 11:54:45 PM »

That's not technically a 'placeholder' use of 'like'; it's the word's indirect or paraphrasing quotative sense, which actually does constitute a specific, identifiable, predictable, albeit very much colloquial meaning.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2014, 08:29:31 PM »

...and those are from Catholics. I'm talking about ex-Catholics. My church has a lot and all seem pretty happy with us having female preachers, might not be the only or even main reason they left but it's certainly something they disapprove of. And of course the woman raised Catholic who IS a pastor wouldn't be able to do what she does has she stayed Catholic.

No, when I say Catholic, it's shorthand for "people raised Catholic." Perhaps we have a regional difference going on here (you don't really see female ministers in any denomination down here, so Southern liberal Catholics don't see anything weird about it), but of all the criticisms I've encountered Catholics, former Catholics, and non-Catholics, the lack of women priests is never one of them.

I too am surprised you don't have any Methodists. Actually you mentioned getting married in an Episcopalian church so there's that too.

There are a few Methodists, but I don't know of any female preachers. Of course I haven't gone church to church surveying, but I've never seen any on the televised services or heard any Methodist mention having a female one.
As far as the Episcopals go, I've been to mass at 4 or 5 different churches and only saw a female priest at one of them -- the cathedral in Jackson had a female associate priest who did the homily once. Apparently Episcopal congregations just get to pick their own priests, rather than the bishop assigning them one, and the ones around here tend to pick men.
Don't know about the Lutherans. I know a couple of people who are Wisconsin Synod, so there must be one of those churches around here somewhere. I understand that branch is pretty conservative, so I'm guessing they don't ordain women?

Maybe I just haven't paid close enough attention, but from what I've seen, female ministers in the Jackson area, regardless of denomination, are practically non-existent.

Galloway UMC seems to have a female associate pastor: http://www.gallowayumc.org/index.php/gallowaysermons

Pratt Memorial UMC has had female pastors: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?r113:E12SE3-0018:/

I'm a bit confused, but Hope Morgan Ward is listed as a Resident Bishop at Breadmeadow UMC, even though she's the UMC's Bishop of North Carolina: http://www.broadmeadow.org/about/  (note the shout-out to the gays!)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2014, 02:27:12 PM »

I could answer 'not religious', but many Quakers do not have ministers, so it is not a problem for them; everbody is 'equal' in this regard.
I would say that although I could make the case for some gender roles, since I think men and women have different temperaments, that it is quite ok with me if women are allowed to be ministers.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies