Which of These Social Classes Do You Consider Yourself a Part Of?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:10:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which of These Social Classes Do You Consider Yourself a Part Of?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Upper Class

Upper Middle Class

Middle Class

Lower Middle Class

Working Class

Lower Class

Underclass

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of These Social Classes Do You Consider Yourself a Part Of?  (Read 1680 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 01:44:43 PM »

Upper Middle Class; we don't live large by any stretch of the imagination.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 01:54:22 PM »

It is a sure sign the you are upper middle class if you are sitting there typing, wearing only your underwear, your glasses, and five days worth of beard stubble, while drinking cheap vodka straight, at 2 o'clock in the afternoon, from a McDonald's Happy Meal cup that once contained your son's Orange Fanta, and occasionally picking bits of the microwaveable burrito that you at for lunch from your teeth with a folded up piece of cellophane from a cigarette package. 

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 01:57:54 PM »

It is a sure sign the you are upper middle class if you are sitting there typing, wearing only your underwear, your glasses, and five days worth of beard stubble, while drinking cheap vodka straight, at 2 o'clock in the afternoon, from a McDonald's Happy Meal cup that once contained your son's Orange Fanta, and occasionally picking bits of the microwaveable burrito that you at for lunch from your teeth with a folded up piece of cellophane from a cigarette package. 

Living the dream?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 01:58:26 PM »

I voted "Working Class" and "Lower Middle Class" in the poll. As a child I would say I definitely grew up in a working class context: dad worked as a laborer (building houses and whatnot) and then got a job in a factory when my little brother was born, while mom didn't work. We moved from the trailer to a house around that time, and then, after my parents' divorce and my little brother going to school, my mother began a job as a middle school teacher. She remarried later to a man who is a sales associate with a foreign company (it's American branch) who mostly works from home, but is on the road a lot.

My father remarried a woman whose class position can fairly easily be described as petty bourgeois, her father owning an interior decorating company which she worked for. After she became pregnant with my sister she stopped working, and so she doesn't work and watches the girls and dad continues his work in the factory.

I'm the first person on my dad's side to graduate from college (my mother was the first on her side of the family) and for the most part, I would describe my dad's side of the family as very working class (almost all of them work for someone else, though there's one self-employed business owner; the fact that he doesn't have any employees other than himself would still lead me to term him working class); again, there's not a single male relative on that side of the family that I can think of that has more than a high school education (and many of them don't have that). On my mother's side, it's more of a mix between working class and petty bourgeoisie, though the section I share most of my heritage with and have spent most of my time with definitely stands closer to the former than it does to the latter.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 02:05:52 PM »

Haha.  I actually put on a shirt about 20 minutes ago.  It was getting a little cold.  Probably I should turn up the thermostat. 

I must admit that the vodka's not bad with just a hint of artificial orange flavoring. 
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 02:10:06 PM »

Haha.  I actually put on a shirt about 20 minutes ago.  It was getting a little cold.  Probably I should turn up the thermostat. 

I must admit that the vodka's not bad with just a hint of artificial orange flavoring. 

If i'm going to drink fire I'll knock back a whisky. Vodka doesn't do it for me unless there's a splash of something in it. I've always been keen on a dash of orange.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 02:11:05 PM »

Just go all the way and have a screwdriver.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 02:16:14 PM »

I'm thinking that the Fried Coke that what's his name posted might not be bad with a splash of Wild Turkey.  Nothing spells class like a flask full of Wild Turkey surreptitiously spirited into the county fairgrounds in the sock, expressly for the purpose of spiking one's Fried Coke lunch. 

I guess I'm going to have to limit myself to one early-afternoon cocktail since it's my turn to ferry the boy home from school, so the Turkey & Coke will have to wait.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 02:19:29 PM »

By definition, floated between middle and lower back after forth over the years I suppose, but in reality the term "class" seems inappropriate. Its nothing more than income brackets, society isn't nearly as black and white as some try and paint it.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 02:21:10 PM »

Solid middle-class. The family have never lacked anything, but neither have we lived in any sort of excess.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 02:43:12 PM »

Oh, I'm not killing them off, just selling them to Gypsies.

Surely you could have found higher paying buyers? Smiley
I tried but the Arab royalty was wanting whiter females and darker dudes.  My dark girls and pale boys just didn't make the cut.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 03:25:42 PM »

UMC, but with certain eccentricities more typical of the UC, such as driving beat up old cars (relatively speaking), and dressing down, and not being particularly interested in following many social conventions, simply because I don't have to these days and can get away with it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 03:28:07 PM »

That's more akin to either UC or dysfunctional WC actually (yes the top and the bottom have certain things in common sometimes).
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2014, 03:29:43 PM »

Upper Middle Class
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2014, 04:42:33 PM »

UMC
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2014, 07:43:13 PM »

Personally, I am middle class. No shame, I'm proud of the hard work I've done. Before I moved to Texas, I busted my ass working 2 jobs, nearly 70 hours a week to barely break 40k a year in CT. Who would have thought that 3 years later, I would have put myself in a whole new bracket. I don't mean to say it as bragging, but I'm proud. I come from a very poor family, so everything I have, I've done on my own. Feels good
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2014, 11:14:28 PM »

Upper class growing up but now I work and earn a modest salary. Spending about $100k a year as an adult I also voted for upper middle class. I don't live too extravagantly tbh.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2014, 11:16:30 PM »

By definition, floated between middle and lower back after forth over the years I suppose, but in reality the term "class" seems inappropriate. Its nothing more than income brackets, society isn't nearly as black and white as some try and paint it.

Hush up and get back to work, prole! Wink
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2014, 11:48:23 PM »

Middle Class to Upper Middle Class.  Will most likely be Lower-Middle/Working Class in a few months.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2014, 01:54:54 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2014, 01:57:14 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Working class/lower middle class

My Dad is a skilled carpenter/drywaller. His dad was a carpenter. His grandfather was a carpenter. His great-grandfather was a carpenter from Westphalia. In Marxist terms, this makes this side of the family more petit bourgeois than proletarians as carpentry used to be a self-employed, artisanal trade that was gradually eroded by industrialization. I'd still consider this side of the family to be solidly working class though.

My Mom grew up in rural Mexico on a ejido but my abuelo's non-conformist Protestantism meant that he pressured all of his children to become educated whether they were his daughters or his sons so my Mom ascended to white collar, upper middle class status in Mexico but when she emigrated to the US, she had to work her way up again. I'd consider her lower middle class now but she has an upper middle class pedigree in many regards (friends who are architects, who own vineyards etc). Yet she also has an understanding of 1 dollar a day poverty so it cancels out.

I'd guess this means that I am materially middle class but am culturally working class.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies