Calvinism vs Arminianism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:39:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Calvinism vs Arminianism
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Arminianism

Calvinism

Neither

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Calvinism vs Arminianism  (Read 1029 times)
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2014, 11:28:22 PM »

My thought tends to fall in line with Arminianism. I can't really say I agree with Calvinism much at all, especially there being an "elect" as opposed to God's grace available to anyone and everyone willing to accept. God desires all to be saved, not a predetermined group I was curious what the thoughts of the others here were.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 06:42:43 AM »

Calvinism (Calvinist) Tongue
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 07:26:34 AM »

My thought tends to fall in line with Arminianism. I can't really say I agree with Calvinism much at all, especially there being an "elect" as opposed to God's grace available to anyone and everyone willing to accept. God desires all to be saved, not a predetermined group
My feelings exactly.  While the Bible does mention predestination in some spots, I think I have to agree with the traditional Lutheran view: God predestines everyone for salvation, but they have to accept it first.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 02:38:09 PM »

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 03:02:57 PM »

Out of interest, is that your church's doctrine?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 03:05:18 PM »

John Wesley is one of my biggest influences in terms of Christian theology.  Take a guess.

DC and Mung Beans are Presbyterians, so yes, that would be their church's doctrine.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 03:09:20 PM »

John Wesley is one of my biggest influences in terms of Christian theology.  Take a guess.

DC and Mung Beans are Presbyterians, so yes, that would be their church's doctrine.

I know that, but I needed some insight simply because given Presbyterianism is the 'state church' of Scotland in circles where it dominates (not that you can say it still does here) I've came across more of a variance within it.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »

Arminianism. Whilst its definitely my firm belief that everybody has the potential to obtain salvation, I also like it because of its influence upon the Laudian movement in the 17th century Church of England.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 04:18:36 PM »

John Wesley is one of my biggest influences in terms of Christian theology.  Take a guess.

I know that, but I needed some insight simply because given Presbyterianism is the 'state church' of Scotland in circles where it dominates (not that you can say it still does here) I've came across more of a variance within it.
Hasn't Calvinism always been the dominant thought in Scotland since the Reformation? (Among those still religious there.)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 04:33:34 PM »

John Wesley is one of my biggest influences in terms of Christian theology.  Take a guess.

Hasn't Calvinism always been the dominant thought in Scotland since the Reformation? (Among those still religious there.)

Various traits of it have been yes (though church attendance across all Christian faiths struggles to hit 1 in 20 these days). The Church of Scotland is not particularly orthodox today and certainly not when it comes to 'doom and gloom' Calvinism.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 06:00:48 PM »

My thought tends to fall in line with Arminianism. I can't really say I agree with Calvinism much at all, especially there being an "elect" as opposed to God's grace available to anyone and everyone willing to accept. God desires all to be saved, not a predetermined group
My feelings exactly.  While the Bible does mention predestination in some spots, I think I have to agree with the traditional Lutheran view: God predestines everyone for salvation, but they have to accept it first.

That's how I feel too. I have some trouble with the concept of predestination, and I think that issue is one of Calvinism's weak points. This might be simplistic, but I've always felt that even if there is an "elect", how exactly are we supposed to know who is a part of it and who isn't? It seems more Christ-like to tell everyone about the gift of salvation, since it is available to all, and then let each person accept or reject that gift on their terms.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 06:03:01 PM »

I belong to the Presbyterian Church in America, which is explicitly Calvinist. I think Mung Beans is as well, but don't quote me on it.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 06:13:24 PM »

That's how I feel too. I have some trouble with the concept of predestination, and I think that issue is one of Calvinism's weak points. This might be simplistic, but I've always felt that even if there is an "elect", how exactly are we supposed to know who is a part of it and who isn't? It seems more Christ-like to tell everyone about the gift of salvation, since it is available to all, and then let each person accept or reject that gift on their terms.

Calvinists are still supposed to preach the Gospel to everyone. Whether you think it's God's calling or 100% free will, some people still won't be saved even if you preach to them. Besides, its not like we think we know who the elect are.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 07:55:49 PM »

I belong to the Presbyterian Church in America, which is explicitly Calvinist. I think Mung Beans is as well, but don't quote me on it.

This is probably a stupid question, but why would a church which I presume is located in Canada be called the "Presbyterian Church in America?"

I'm also surprised that that's the Calvinist church you're a member of, considering its evolution to the left on some issues.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 09:33:55 PM »

This is probably a stupid question, but why would a church which I presume is located in Canada be called the "Presbyterian Church in America?"

My church was originally part of the Reformed  Presbyterian Church, Evangelical Synod, which was mostly in the northern USA and Canada. The PCA absorbed the RPCES in the 1980's.

I'm also surprised that that's the Calvinist church you're a member of, considering its evolution to the left on some issues.

My congregation is to the right of the PCA at large, so I'm content where I am. Besides Calvinist churches aren't exactly thick in the ground where I am. If I left my current church, my options would be an ultraconservative Presbyterian church or a reformed Baptist church. I'm not sure which one I'd choose.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 09:41:40 PM »

While Canada is not part of the United States, it certainly is part of America.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 12:27:59 AM »

Technically my church isn't part of PCA, but I pretty much am in more or less complete theological agreement with it and would probably go to a PCA church if I'm not at home.

My church was originally part of the Reformed  Presbyterian Church, Evangelical Synod, which was mostly in the northern USA and Canada. The PCA absorbed the RPCES in the 1980's.

My congregation is to the right of the PCA at large, so I'm content where I am. Besides Calvinist churches aren't exactly thick in the ground where I am. If I left my current church, my options would be an ultraconservative Presbyterian church or a reformed Baptist church. I'm not sure which one I'd choose.

Actually on purely theological matters you are more moderate than a lot of other PCA members I've come across (excepting the more evangelical faction centred around Tim Keller) since many of them are YEC and have very critical views regarding Catholicism.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 02:43:33 PM »

Like Scott, Wesley is a major influence of mine in terms of theology.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies