Schweitzer: I'd be a better president than Hillary Clinton
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:13:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Schweitzer: I'd be a better president than Hillary Clinton
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Schweitzer: I'd be a better president than Hillary Clinton  (Read 4028 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2014, 02:32:28 AM »

I believe Schweitzer has calculated that he has absolutely no chance with the Democratic Establishment and is basically telling them f**k you.  That may play well with some of the anti-Hillary elements in our party, but those folks are very far from a majority of Democratic voters.  Perhaps he is trying to consolidate them early before someone else can?

Schweitzer's tactics are starting to resemble the sledgehammer approach John Edwards took toward Hillary in 2008.  And it probably contributed to her not getting the nomination.  But Edwards didn't get it either and Clinton is a much stronger candidate now than she was in 2008.

Well, even if if he ends up losing in a landslide, he would still succeed in selling a lot of books. The Gingrich/Cain strategy. Tongue
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2014, 03:01:08 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2014, 03:08:15 AM by brah »

I believe Schweitzer has calculated that he has absolutely no chance with the Democratic Establishment and is basically telling them f**k you.  That may play well with some of the anti-Hillary elements in our party, but those folks are very far from a majority of Democratic voters.  Perhaps he is trying to consolidate them early before someone else can?

Schweitzer's tactics are starting to resemble the sledgehammer approach John Edwards took toward Hillary in 2008.  And it probably contributed to her not getting the nomination.  But Edwards didn't get it either and Clinton is a much stronger candidate now than she was in 2008.

One can only hope Bernie finds enough of a hole to win.

I agree with him. While I do have faith in Hillary, the Democratic Party needs to return to its populist roots.

If the Democratic party were to go that route, I'd sure like to see Warren lead the way rather than some self serving prick like Schweitzer.

Admittedly I would too, considering all the work she's done. But unfortunately, since she won't run, that point is moot.

Schweitzer is just telling it like it is. Obamacare doesn't do enough to protect the people from rogue insurance companies, we need to teach respect for our Fourth Amendment rights instead of only caring when Republicans are in office, and we need to get off of Wall Street's teat as a party. That's why I support him over Hillary Clinton. He isn't afraid to speak out against the establishment.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2014, 11:37:59 AM »

I believe Schweitzer has calculated that he has absolutely no chance with the Democratic Establishment and is basically telling them f**k you.  That may play well with some of the anti-Hillary elements in our party, but those folks are very far from a majority of Democratic voters.  Perhaps he is trying to consolidate them early before someone else can?

Schweitzer's tactics are starting to resemble the sledgehammer approach John Edwards took toward Hillary in 2008.  And it probably contributed to her not getting the nomination.  But Edwards didn't get it either and Clinton is a much stronger candidate now than she was in 2008.

I agree with him. While I do have faith in Hillary, the Democratic Party needs to return to its populist roots.

If the Democratic party were to go that route, I'd sure like to see Warren lead the way rather than some self serving prick like Schweitzer.

Admittedly I would too, considering all the work she's done. But unfortunately, since she won't run, that point is moot.

Schweitzer is just telling it like it is. Obamacare doesn't do enough to protect the people from rogue insurance companies, we need to teach respect for our Fourth Amendment rights instead of only caring when Republicans are in office, and we need to get off of Wall Street's teat as a party. That's why I support him over Hillary Clinton. He isn't afraid to speak out against the establishment.

Why would he be afraid? Speaking out against the establishment is going to be his trademark.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2014, 12:23:33 PM »

Why would he be afraid? Speaking out against the establishment is going to be his trademark.

Tongue
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2014, 03:37:07 PM »

My Mom read this article and she thought that Brian Schweitzer was conservative because he criticized Obama. I know that it's a sample size of one but I think this is proof that the average Democratic primary voter won't be swayed by Schweitzer's rhetoric. He'll appeal to West Virginia, Kentucky and Oklahoma but not to progressives, who love Obama and like Clinton.
Nichlemn

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2014, 11:25:49 PM »

IA and NH are probably above average states for Schweitzer (caucus and independents, respectively), so I could see doing quite well there and giving the impression of a horse race. He'd almost certainly get crushed in the big Dem machine states like NY and IL, though.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2014, 02:31:16 AM »

IA and NH are probably above average states for Schweitzer (caucus and independents, respectively), so I could see doing quite well there and giving the impression of a horse race. He'd almost certainly get crushed in the big Dem machine states like NY and IL, though.

Actually, Schweitzer's pro-gun views would probably hurt him here. NH Democrats don't like guns here, and Clinton's economic views are left-of-center enough to win over our voters. Plus, the establishment will be coming out of the woodwork for her - Hassan and Shaheen were two of her fiercest backers, and Shea-Porter also gave her endorsement of a Hillary candidacy (and Kuster strikes me as the type to back her too). I just might see Schweitzer winning Iowa, but New Hampshire is Hillary country.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2014, 02:45:17 AM »

Actually, Schweitzer's pro-gun views would probably hurt him here. NH Democrats don't like guns here, and Clinton's economic views are left-of-center enough to win over our voters. Plus, the establishment will be coming out of the woodwork for her - Hassan and Shaheen were two of her fiercest backers, and Shea-Porter also gave her endorsement of a Hillary candidacy (and Kuster strikes me as the type to back her too). I just might see Schweitzer winning Iowa, but New Hampshire is Hillary country.

Plus there's the fact that she won it in 2008 against someone much more formidable than Schweitzer.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2014, 03:33:33 AM »

Plus there's the fact that she won it in 2008 against someone much more formidable than Schweitzer.

Candidate strength is irrelevant anyway when you've got literally every major Democrat in the state rallying behind you in a primary. We can't tell if Schweitzer is going to be a strong candidate or not, but we can tell that he's not going to play well in my state.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2014, 07:47:50 AM »

I hope Hillary & the DNC destroy this charlatan.

Agreed. If he actually gave a damn about liberalism and not himself he would be kicking Daines' a** in Montana right now.

oh, bullsht.

unlike Dear Leader Hillary, schweitzer is the kind of person who can be relied upon to do his job instead of running for one office while knowing perfectly well that he'll immediately start running for another.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2014, 04:06:01 PM »

Agreed. If he actually gave a damn about liberalism and not himself he would be kicking Daines' a** in Montana right now.

Or he could not risk his resources on a Senate run where Daines would probably be favored anyway.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2014, 04:11:55 PM »

TIL that the idea that someone who has never expressed any interest in running for Congress didn't run for Congress is outrageous
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2014, 05:08:48 PM »

He's not wrong.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2014, 12:56:59 AM »

Or he could not risk his resources on a Senate run where Daines would probably be favored anyway.
Actually, PPP's June 2013 poll had Schweitzer leading Daines 48-45. Had he not known how much Reid and the Democratic establishment wanted to see him run and thus hold this seat, he probably would have ran. If he caved into Reid, it would have ruined his left-wing rebellion

This notion that Schweitzer would be a better President than Hillary is hilarious. His political career entails governing one of the smallest states; a state where Hillary was shown leading him by over 20 points and has subsequently failed to gain traction against potential Republican candidates, to. Amazing how he wants to repeatedly attack Hillary for crossing over party-lines and voting for the Iraq War, yet Schweitzer himself has proven he can't work in bipartisan fashion like Hillary can. He bypassed the Montana legislature to get single-payer healthcare which I support, but not when executive power is abused. If Schweitzer could get single-payer healthcare passed through Congress if he were President, I would personally admit that I was wrong about him, but not until then.  He says the Presidency would ruin his life? Not as much as it would ruin our lives as Democrats.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2014, 01:20:33 AM »

TIL that the idea that someone who has never expressed any interest in running for Congress didn't run for Congress is outrageous

He expressed plenty of interest in running for the Senate seat. It was a fairly big surprise when he suddenly declined.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2014, 01:22:23 AM »

Actually, PPP's June 2013 poll had Schweitzer leading Daines 48-45. Had he not known how much Reid and the Democratic establishment wanted to see him run and thus hold this seat, he probably would have ran. If he caved into Reid, it would have ruined his left-wing rebellion

This notion that Schweitzer would be a better President than Hillary is hilarious. His political career entails governing one of the smallest states; a state where Hillary was shown leading him by over 20 points and has subsequently failed to gain traction against potential Republican candidates, to. Amazing how he wants to repeatedly attack Hillary for crossing over party-lines and voting for the Iraq War, yet Schweitzer himself has proven he can't work in bipartisan fashion like Hillary can. He bypassed the Montana legislature to get single-payer healthcare which I support, but not when executive power is abused. If Schweitzer could get single-payer healthcare passed through Congress if he were President, I would personally admit that I was wrong about him, but not until then.  He says the Presidency would ruin his life? Not as much as it would ruin our lives as Democrats.

That was before public opinion shifted against Obama and the Democrats. Obama's approval in Montana fell eight points between June and November, when the tide started to shift to the Republicans, and if it even got to 2002's level, then Daines would be favored. He doesn't like Congress anyway enough to risk his career on, and he sure as sh*t isn't entitled to run.

And so what if he went around the establishment? As someone who was literally insured only because of Obamacare, I think I'm qualified to say that it doesn't go far enough. I don't think of the families like mine that can see a doctor because of the current system. I think of the families that still can't afford it because the government can't be bothered to pay for the basic human right of health. Giving everyone access to the healthcare that they need is what being a Democrat is all about, and if you want to knock Schweitzer for that of all things, then that's just simply not the Democratic way.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2014, 02:26:41 AM »

I like Sanders but realistically, he would be a weak general election candidate. 
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2014, 05:26:28 AM »

Yeah, someone who always showed contempt for Washington and never expressed any interest in running for the Senate obviously only didn't run so that he could spite his party
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2014, 01:14:41 PM »

He'll be in Washington if he became president though.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2014, 04:25:17 PM »

He'd also be setting the agenda instead of taking orders.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2014, 06:19:29 PM »

It's funny because I remember a time, especially before 2008, when Schweitzer was being hailed as one of our best prospects. Its interesting how in the last year or so, that has changed.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2014, 06:21:28 PM »

It's funny because I remember a time, especially before 2008, when Schweitzer was being hailed as one of our best prospects. Its interesting how in the last year or so, that has changed.

*Before* 2008?  I don't recall many people talking about Schweitzer as a potential candidate until around the time of his convention speech in 2008.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2014, 06:35:08 PM »

*Before* 2008?  I don't recall many people talking about Schweitzer as a potential candidate until around the time of his convention speech in 2008.

I recall seeing quite a bit of hype surrouding him, especially here.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2014, 11:52:27 PM »

Is Schweitzer an End the Fed guy?  That's the only sense I can make of his comments about Woodrow Wilson.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies