10 years since Ronald Reagan's death
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:48:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  10 years since Ronald Reagan's death
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: 10 years since Ronald Reagan's death  (Read 8535 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 05, 2014, 01:07:51 PM »

I don't know if anybody realizes, but today (June 5) is the 10th anniversary of President Ronald Reagan's passing.

From a neutral perspective, how does America view his presidency 10 years after his death and 25 years after he left office?

I still contend he's the best president in American History, slightly above Abe Lincoln.

I believe America as a whole remember the Reagan years with great fondness, even better than Clinton or Bush right after him and certainly much better than Obama.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 01:08:54 PM »

*shrug*
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 01:09:12 PM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 01:10:19 PM »

Are you sure that's quite the right word to use?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 01:12:08 PM »

Reagan? That B-list actor turned right-wing salesman and corporate stooge for General Electric? The guy who snitched on his Hollywood friends for HUAC?

Ask a black person or a gay person or a working-class person in the Upper Midwest who remembers Reagan for a more...real-world perspective on his Presidency and legacy.

Yeah, don't miss him.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 01:12:31 PM »

Changed my thing in memorium.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 01:16:07 PM »

Changed mine as well.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 01:19:57 PM »

What a horrible, destructive President. A huge number of America's problems can be directly traced to his Presidency and legacy.

I can't believe people still like him for such superficial reasons.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 01:21:50 PM »

Reagan? That B-list actor turned right-wing salesman and corporate stooge for General Electric? The guy who snitched on his Hollywood friends for HUAC?

Ask a black person or a gay person or a working-class person in the Upper Midwest who remembers Reagan for a more...real-world perspective on his Presidency and legacy.

Yeah, don't miss him.

Of course, only the downtrodden can ever have a valid opinion. I mean, I'm sure you'd get an equally 'real-worldly' perspective from... I don't know, the man who was a Wall Street Banker, Business Owner or CIA analyst during the Reagan years. Or indeed, anybody who worked in the arms industry during the Reagan years.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 01:23:32 PM »

Just to let you know, but you've crossed the line over into self parody there.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 01:23:54 PM »

I don't know if anybody realizes, but today (June 5) is the 10th anniversary of President Ronald Reagan's passing.

Hadn't thought about it, really.  I was married ten years ago on this day.  I suppose we were pretty busy all day on June 4, 2004 and I wasn't paying attention to the news.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 01:25:13 PM »

Whatever.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 01:26:36 PM »

Just to let you know, but you've crossed the line over into self parody there.

I started down that path when I was about 5. 'Tis just another normal day. Self-deprecation and self-parody - two pillars of my life so far Smiley
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 01:26:46 PM »

It's a pity they don't have a Nicaraguan or Salvadoran avatar.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 01:26:53 PM »

What a horrible, destructive President. A huge number of America's problems can be directly traced to his Presidency and legacy.

I can't believe people still like him for such superficial reasons.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 01:33:40 PM »

Yeah, don't miss him.

Of course, only the downtrodden can ever have a valid opinion. I mean, I'm sure you'd get an equally 'real-worldly' perspective from... I don't know, the man who was a Wall Street Banker, Business Owner or CIA analyst during the Reagan years. Or indeed, anybody who worked in the arms industry during the Reagan years.

The least you can offer the downtrodden is to take seriously their "opinions" (more like real-world experiences, but whatever), considering how exhausting it is to live in a world of oppression and adversity.

Conversely, I'm sure the business owners, Wall Street bankers, and other "job creators" (lol) that did indeed benefit from Ronnie Trickle-down Reagan's Presidency don't exactly care about whether most people take their opinions seriously...just the important people in society.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 01:34:26 PM »

Can we stop bashing him and accept the great things he did?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 01:36:26 PM »

For example?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 01:44:39 PM »

I remember exactly where I was. I was an eight year old on his way to spend the night at Grandma's apartment, and when I walked in I found her on the couch wiping tears away. I also remember watching his funeral. RIP...I guess?

The Reagan hate is adorable, especially as many of these same people attacked me for my opinions on the death of Hugo Chavez. For whatever its worth, I don't find the attacks here on Reagan to be distasteful (the Thatcher thread was awful, but whatever), but I must note the hypocrisy.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 01:48:30 PM »

I remember exactly where I was. I was an eight year old on his way to spend the night at Grandma's apartment, and when I walked in I found her on the couch wiping tears away. I also remember watching his funeral. RIP...I guess?

The Reagan hate is adorable, especially as many of these same people attacked me for my opinions on the death of Hugo Chavez. For whatever its worth, I don't find the attacks here on Reagan to be distasteful (the Thatcher thread was awful, but whatever), but I must note the hypocrisy.

I don't pretend to be consistent, but it's not hypocrisy, it's valuing my opinion of Reagan over your opinion of Chavez.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2014, 01:55:20 PM »

White 90s kids whining. Laughable.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2014, 02:15:33 PM »

I don't pretend to be consistent, but it's not hypocrisy, it's valuing my opinion of Reagan over your opinion of Chavez.
Isn’t saying “I can bash Reagan because I hate him” and then saying “you’re not allowed to bash Chavez because I like him” the height of hypocrisy? I don’t fault you for holding a higher value of your opinions over mine-I am guilty of the same thing, but I do fault you and several others for being particularly vocal in the Chavez thread.

“Basic human dignity.” Remember when Velasco, Lief, Platypus, Hashemite, and Kalwejt (who at the time really disappointed me in that thread since I thought he would be more consistent) attacked my lack of that in the Chavez thread? And remember when you said you were going to “avenge” Chavez (that post may have been deleted in the sh*tfest that followed) by bashing Thatcher? I do. Celebrating the lives of tyrants and the deaths of democratic leaders with whom you disagree with is a common trend among some of our forum leftists.

As Afleitch noted in the Thatcher thread, most people who were bashing Thatcher as the destroyer of the "idealistic and community oriented past" were not alive to realize that Britain just wasn't the way they imagined it before Thatcher. I don't defend Reagan for that same reason, as I was born fifteen years after he first took office in 1981, and thus have absolutely no experience with him as my President.....like most people bashing him, oddly enough.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2014, 02:24:36 PM »

The end of stagflation had literally nothing to do with Reagan.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 02:32:55 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2014, 02:35:12 PM by Former Assemblyman Cassius »

The end of stagflation had literally nothing to do with Reagan.

Well, he did reappoint Volcker as Fed Chairman (although most of the heavy-lifting by Volcker had already been done), and his ending of 70's price controls on oil did help reduce prices in that sense too. So, he had a partial role in it, even if he wasn't the main actor.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 03:33:38 PM »

Yay.  10 years without that waste of oxygen. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies