10 years since Ronald Reagan's death
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:46:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  10 years since Ronald Reagan's death
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: 10 years since Ronald Reagan's death  (Read 8526 times)
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2014, 12:07:12 AM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2014, 12:14:57 AM »

ChairmanSanchez white nationalist Reaganaut.

How's this for 'edgy' - I wish Hinckley had better aim.
Not edgy at all. Had Reagan died in 81 before his presidency, he'd be remembered more fondly than JFK. I think the cartoon that Snowstalker posted would be true without all the bad things included, Meursault, formally banned Mussolininaut.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2014, 03:35:36 AM »

This thread is depressing.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2014, 06:46:01 AM »

Is Bushie one of those much talked about but not really existing "Reagan Democrats"?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2014, 03:12:12 PM »

Is Bushie one of those much talked about but not really existing "Reagan Democrats"?

I think Bushie likes every single person who has been or ran for President.  I wouldn't point to him as the proverbial diamond in the rough. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2014, 03:56:25 PM »

I think Bushie likes every single person who has been or ran for President.  I wouldn't point to him as the proverbial diamond in the rough. 

Diamond? I was thinking quite the opposite.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2014, 04:45:27 PM »

Except for Al Gore. He very much doesn't like Al.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2014, 06:16:16 PM »

I am a Reagan Democrat.  We may be few in number, but we do exist.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2014, 06:25:10 PM »

Except for Al Gore. He very much doesn't like Al.

Al of all people?  I'm sure he's fine with Al Gore circa 1988. 
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2014, 07:20:15 PM »

Not big on disrespecting the dead in death threads, but it is 10 years later so those complaining about the disrespect are really just complaining that someone dare say something bad about King Reagan the Great.

On a personal level, may his family be at peace. On a public level, I disagreed with most of what he did and we will never forget his tepid response to apartheid government. In terms of modern politics, it is time for the GOP to calm down and stop using him as an American hero, if for no other reason than that they're creating a narrative about his Presidency that is inaccurate.

Basically this.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2014, 12:30:14 AM »

Not big on disrespecting the dead in death threads, but it is 10 years later so those complaining about the disrespect are really just complaining that someone dare say something bad about King Reagan the Great.

On a personal level, may his family be at peace. On a public level, I disagreed with most of what he did and we will never forget his tepid response to apartheid government. In terms of modern politics, it is time for the GOP to calm down and stop using him as an American hero, if for no other reason than that they're creating a narrative about his Presidency that is inaccurate.

Basically this.

Inaccurate is an understatement.  For him to be viewed as anything less than a corporatist tool who drove the working class of America into the ground is a travesty.  I'm devastated that I have to live out the remainder of my Naval service on a ship named after that racist POS. 
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2014, 12:34:27 AM »

I find it more than questionable to even rate Reagan above average, let alone at the very top. Doing so requires you to either ignore the more terrible aspects...or to just not care.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2014, 01:10:22 AM »

I find it more than questionable to even rate Reagan above average, let alone at the very top. Doing so requires you to either ignore the more terrible aspects...or to just not care.

But you see, Franzl.  A couple one-liners written for him and all is forgiven.  All the poors he created were so uplifted by his Berlin Wall speech that it doesn't even matter that they lost their jobs so Mr. Boss Man could see his salary go stratospheric!  It's all abut happiness it'n it!? 
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2014, 01:46:54 AM »

Here's some quotes about him from his successors and predecessors:
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Meursault
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2014, 01:54:36 AM »

Now look up Nixon's comments about Saint Ron on the Nixon tapes to see how he actually felt.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2014, 01:55:23 AM »

Here's some quotes about him from his successors and predecessors:

Yea... pathetic.  We know...
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2014, 02:07:18 AM »

But you see, Franzl.  A couple one-liners written for him and all is forgiven.  All the poors he created were so uplifted by his Berlin Wall speech that it doesn't even matter that they lost their jobs so Mr. Boss Man could see his salary go stratospheric!  It's all abut happiness it'n it!? 
Wait...what? First you claim that Reagan is responsible for lay-offs, but then you say that they were fired so that their employer could increase their salary?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2014, 02:33:24 AM »

He was a good president for the cheap seats - breezy confidence, one-liners - but the real consequences were pretty terrible for the most vulnerable especially.

But his veneration is completely and utterly undeserved.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2014, 02:48:40 AM »

Wait...what? First you claim that Reagan is responsible for lay-offs, but then you say that they were fired so that their employer could increase their salary?

Uhhh.... more people where made to work harder for the same salary.  I know that's all gravy in your little yellow world, but some of us find it disgusting. 
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2014, 02:59:41 AM »

Uhhh.... more people where made to work harder for the same salary.  I know that's all gravy in your little yellow world, but some of us find it disgusting. 
So, you're claiming that employers increased hours without increasing wages? Or you're claiming that worker productivity rose faster than wages? Which one, and how was it Reagan's fault? And what does that have to do with people being layed off?
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2014, 03:26:49 AM »

So, you're claiming that employers increased hours without increasing wages? Or you're claiming that worker productivity rose faster than wages? Which one, and how was it Reagan's fault? And what does that have to do with people being layed off?

Holy ****  I know that "job creators" are infallible to you... but can I spell it out.

1. Reagan help create a business atmosphere that failed to protect workers because he basically appointed the richest people in America to his Cabinet.
2. Mr. Boss Man fired people 
3. Mr. Boss Man had those "lucky" enough to be retained pick up the slack
4. Mr. Boss Man didn't give those people a raise

Less workers.  Same output.  Same wages.  Where does the difference go?  You know where.  And yes... you are a libertarian, and this kind of oppression gives you a nice little L-stiffy.  Well, some of us that have compassion for others disagree. 
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2014, 03:34:11 AM »

Holy ****  I know that "job creators" are infallible to you... but can I spell it out.

1. Reagan help create a business atmosphere that failed to protect workers because he basically appointed the richest people in America to his Cabinet.
2. Mr. Boss Man fired people 
3. Mr. Boss Man had those "lucky" enough to be retained pick up the slack
4. Mr. Boss Man didn't give those people a raise

Less workers.  Same output.  Same wages.  Where does the difference go?  You know where.  And yes... you are a libertarian, and this kind of oppression gives you a nice little L-stiffy.  Well, some of us that have compassion for others disagree. 
What policies did Reagan (or his cabinet members) implement that created this business environment?
Meursault
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2014, 03:50:04 AM »

Primarily it was their completely unnecessary trampling of the air traffic controllers union that fired the pistol inaugurating the rape of the working class.

Government is a mirror before an ape: private agents see the State acting a certain way and they reproduce that behavior, however unconsciously. In this case, private sector employers aped Reagan's union-busting.

I do not love public sector unions. Or non-industrial unions. Or America's myopic, collaborationist unions more generally. But Reagan is undoubtedly to blame for deunionization - and hypocritically so, given his own love for the Screen Actors Guild (hardworking actors require unions; layabout machinists and electricians, evidently, do not).
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2014, 04:01:49 AM »

Primarily it was their completely unnecessary trampling of the air traffic controllers union that fired the pistol inaugurating the rape of the working class.

Government is a mirror before an ape: private agents see the State acting a certain way and they reproduce that behavior, however unconsciously. In this case, private sector employers aped Reagan's union-busting.

I do not love public sector unions. Or non-industrial unions. Or America's myopic, collaborationist unions more generally. But Reagan is undoubtedly to blame for deunionization - and hypocritically so, given his own love for the Screen Actors Guild (hardworking actors require unions; layabout machinists and electricians, evidently, do not).

Trampling that particular union was hardly unneccessary. They broke the law, Reagan gave them an ultimatum, most of the strikers ignored it, they got fired. In the end, Reagan upheld the law in the face of those determined to break it. To not have done so would have been an embarrassing defeat. The only reason that I can think of for that action being somewhat morally murky is because PATCO had endorsed Reagan in last years election, and thus it was something of a slap in the face. But when all's said and done a self-inflicted one.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2014, 04:15:43 AM »

Trampling that particular union was hardly unneccessary. They broke the law, Reagan gave them an ultimatum, most of the strikers ignored it, they got fired. In the end, Reagan upheld the law in the face of those determined to break it. To not have done so would have been an embarrassing defeat. The only reason that I can think of for that action being somewhat morally murky is because PATCO had endorsed Reagan in last years election, and thus it was something of a slap in the face. But when all's said and done a self-inflicted one.

Ha!  Again, complicating the issue with a load of BS that makes you look "smart".  Another conservative that expects the unions to obey the laws that are designed to enslave them.  Can you just understand that we would like to eat?   Jesus dick!  It's not complicated! 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies