Enough with Invincible Hillary (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:22:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Enough with Invincible Hillary (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Enough with Invincible Hillary  (Read 1630 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« on: June 05, 2014, 02:17:50 PM »
« edited: June 05, 2014, 02:20:30 PM by TheHawk »

Everyone seems to think that Clinton will run. That's fine to speculate, even if I personally don't think she will, but I just don't get why everyone who thinks that also thinks she is this unbeatable champion. Tons of topics are dedicated to her and how much she would slaughter every republican. What qualifies her of this treatment besides Clinton-era nostalgia and the fact that she is a woman, making people want to be "part of the tolerant ones" like Obama in 2008 because he was black ? What would she DO besides have different organs and have a certain last name?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 02:27:51 PM »

Everyone seems to think that Clinton will run. That's fine to speculate, even if I personally don't think she will, but I just don't get why everyone who thinks that also thinks she is this unbeatable champion. Tons of topics are dedicated to her and how much she would slaughter every republican. What qualifies her of this treatment besides Clinton-era nostalgia and the fact that she is a woman, making people want to be "part of the tolerant ones" like Obama in 2008 because he was black ? What would she DO besides have different organs and have a certain last name?

Thank you...  It's about time someone acknowledges the humanity and frailty of Hillary.  She is not and should never be considered a shoo-in.  There is a better chance that she will NOT be the 45th president of the United States than there is that she will be.

Amazing! A Dem on this site that isn't obnoxious about their views or near-worshipping Hillary
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 02:31:13 PM »

While it may be true that her chances of being the next POTUS are less than 50%, she still has better odds than anyone else.  I would say right now, there is about an 85% chance she will be the nominee, and an even 50-50 chance that she will win if nominated.

But why? What are her qualifications besides the two I mentioned? Why is she treated like this political god-among-(wo)men
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 06:45:20 PM »

While it may be true that her chances of being the next POTUS are less than 50%, she still has better odds than anyone else.  I would say right now, there is about an 85% chance she will be the nominee, and an even 50-50 chance that she will win if nominated.

But why? What are her qualifications besides the two I mentioned? Why is she treated like this political god-among-(wo)men

Just look at the polls.  She is, in fact, unbeatable in Democratic primaries, and polls show her as competitive against her potential Republican opponents.  She is the best hope the Democrats have of keeping the White House.  Why this is the case is a debatable question.

She is "invincible" BECAUSE of the two factors. Do people know of her POLICIES? Do they know of what she wants to actually DO? That's all I'm asking.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 08:52:58 PM »

It's an interesting rarely considered question.

Her qualifications are impressive at this point. Let's ignore the significance of her marriage to Bill Clinton. She was essentially a senior adviser to a President who went on to become a prominent Senator, and then served in a prominent cabinet post in a later presidential administration.

And after the election of the first African-American President, the first female President seems to be the milestone the country's waiting for. There just isn't anything else on that level. Women represent half the country, and it's about time to have one in the White House.

The primary opposition also isn't that impressive. The Veep, the former Speaker, the Senate Majority Leader and the most prominent Governor are in their 70s. Edwards had a career-ending scandal. There's no democratic member of Congress who gets as much attention as McCain did eight years ago. There's no executive who dealt with a national crisis with the coverage Giuliani had during the response to 9/11. Some prominent progressives were recently elected to significant office, but the one best able to run for President was elected to statewide office in her 60s (It's very rare for a presidential candidate to rise to prominence that late in their career.)

She polls very well in the General Election, so anyone inclined to support her has little strategic reason to do so.

But that's not the main reason. After a divisive primary, Hillary Clinton did the right thing (as far as the party is concerned) and served in the administration of the guy who beat her. Her previous supporters love her even more (She's now even more qualified), but this has also won over a lot of Obama fans, who see her as someone who helped a transformational figure.

Serving as Secretary of State was convenient. It kept her out of domestic controversies, allowing her a lot of latitude when it comes to deciding how much she should embrace Obama's policies. She's currently a blank slate. Supporters of Obama see her as someone who could continue his work. His critics (among the left and the center-left) see her as someone who can do a better job.

That's my biggest concern with her. Quit being delusional and partisan, Obama hasn't been that good. I don't care what party is in charge. If she wins, Republicans still aren't going anywhere (but if they win Democrats will just be "the underdogs." God I hate this double standard whenever a party loses). I am concerned more if we will get 4, possibly 8 more years of the same garbage policies.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 09:50:52 AM »

I still think that if Progressives could someone who is at least competitive in a Iowa Caucus, that invincibility goes out the window, just like 2008. As for the General Election... She's the underdog against Ryan (who almost certainly isn't running) and Walker (who probably is), it's a coin toss against Bush, Rubio, and Portman, she'd be the favorite against Cruz and Paul, and a mortal lock against Perry. (Am I missing anybody?)

If Ryan was such a great candidate, he would've been able to carry his home state in 2012.

People don't vote for Vice-President
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies