Will DC ever get representation in the House?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:13:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will DC ever get representation in the House?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will DC ever get representation in the House?  (Read 943 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 05, 2014, 11:13:17 PM »

It needs to happen, and that's with politics aside. The residents of the District are disproportionately underrepresented in our government.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 11:14:51 PM »

If it's paired with Puerto Rico, sure
retromike22
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 11:16:01 PM »

I think there was an idea to give DC 1 seat, and Utah an extra one because it was close to getting a new one anyway during the last reapportionment. It was considered a good idea because it made a new safe Dem seat and a new safe Rep seat.

But like most good ideas it never was implemented Sad
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 11:17:09 PM »

Perhaps the District should get a congressman, but that's where I have to draw the line. I think that the Founding Fathers deliberately limited the influence of Washington D.C. to keep the capital from having enough influence of its own to politically overpower the rest of the country, as has happened in many other nations. 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 11:22:20 PM »

The District of Columbia should be reduced in size to only the federal buildings and other related properties that people don't officially reside in (e.g. the Smithsonian museums and the White House), and the rest of the city absorbed by Maryland.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 11:52:53 PM »

The District of Columbia should be reduced in size to only the federal buildings and other related properties that people don't officially reside in (e.g. the Smithsonian museums and the White House), and the rest of the city absorbed by Maryland.
That's a far less complex solution than my idea; this is what needs to be done.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 01:03:22 AM »

Except neither Maryland nor the people of Washington City want that done.  While the latter could be ignored, Maryland's wishes cannot as the Federal government can't force Maryland to take the city.

There was a proposed amendment giving DC a Representative that was sent to the states, but it failed to be ratified.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 09:50:08 AM »

It is not very simple. It has been attempted and it is commonly accepted now that they would need an amendment and of course approval from Maryland first, neither of which they think they can get passed.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 10:04:29 AM »

It's disgusting that here in the United States of America we have almost 650,000 people living under the shadow of our nation's Capitol with no political representation in Congress. There is absolutely no excuse. They should have been admitted as a state when the Democrats had full control between 2008-2010.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 11:27:50 AM »

As D.C. has had an economic renaissance and grown over the last two decades, it's gotten much less African-American and much whiter.  In fact the % of A-A in the city is probably below 50% now and the white population over 40%.  Does this matter as far as statehood?  It shouldn't, but if the city gets statehood after becoming plurality or majority white?  I can hear the Chris Rock jokes right now.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 11:28:40 AM »

Yes, when Maryland stop being obnoxious and allow them to join them.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 11:37:57 AM »

As D.C. has had an economic renaissance and grown over the last two decades, it's gotten much less African-American and much whiter.  In fact the % of A-A in the city is probably below 50% now and the white population over 40%.  Does this matter as far as statehood?  It shouldn't, but if the city gets statehood after becoming plurality or majority white?  I can hear the Chris Rock jokes right now.

Good point. I think it might acquire statehood once its white population reaches 60%.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 12:05:39 PM »

Assuming current trends hold, DC will still be horribly, horribly Democratic once it's majority white, and that has been a stumbling block far more than racism has been. Furthermore, unless we make the entirety of DC a state, including Capitol Hill, we would be left with the problem of what do we do with the three electors the rump DC would still have by virtue of the XXIIIrd Amendment.  I can't see Congress surrendering sovereignty over Capitol Hill.  In a very real sense, the XXIIIrd is a stumbling block to any proposal to making the inhabited, non-government portions of DC into a State.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 12:17:53 PM »

How about DC is given one Representative in the House, but for the Senate they are allowed to vote in Maryland's Senate elections? DC remains a Federal District, independent of any state, but it now has representation in Congress.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 12:41:06 PM »

How about DC is given one Representative in the House, but for the Senate they are allowed to vote in Maryland's Senate elections? DC remains a Federal District, independent of any state, but it now has representation in Congress.
It just wouldn't be Constitutional under the Constitution as it is, but it does suggest a possible compromise amendment.
        1. The District constituting the seat of government of the United States shall for purposes of elections to the Congress of the United States and of Electors of the President of the United States shall be treated as if it were still a part of the State or States from which it was formed.

2. When forming districts for the election of Representatives, any State which has provided territory for the District constituting the seat of government of the United States, shall apportion such territory as part of the fewest possible number of districts for the election of Representatives.

3. The twenty-third article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.

4. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
The second clause is intended to prevent gerrymanders that split up DC to such an extent that it can't elect a representative of its own, or conversely ends up electing more representatives than it is entitled to.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 01:10:37 PM »

Assuming current trends hold, DC will still be horribly, horribly Democratic once it's majority white, and that has been a stumbling block far more than racism has been. Furthermore, unless we make the entirety of DC a state, including Capitol Hill, we would be left with the problem of what do we do with the three electors the rump DC would still have by virtue of the XXIIIrd Amendment.  I can't see Congress surrendering sovereignty over Capitol Hill.  In a very real sense, the XXIIIrd is a stumbling block to any proposal to making the inhabited, non-government portions of DC into a State.

I suspect that if a politcal agreement could be reached to grant Washington statehood or full voting rights, I suspect the political will to concurrently repeal the 23rd Amendment would be easy.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 01:57:10 PM »

I hope so.  The best solution would to give it to Maryland, with Washington represented by one of Maryland's House members as well as by its two members in the Senate.

For DC to be represented without its own statehood or joining a state, the Constitution will have to be amended.  As long as none of those things happen, DC residents must be exempted from federal taxes. I don't see how anyone could justify "taxation without representation" for the residents of the nation's capital.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies