Which of the following decades produced the best music?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:34:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which of the following decades produced the best music?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
1920s

1930s

1940s

1950s

1960s

1970s

1980s

1990s

2000s (2000-2009)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Which of the following decades produced the best music?  (Read 7586 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 11:46:14 AM »

The 60's, with the 70's and 90's in a near tie. The industrial music of the 90's is an underated facet of the decade. The incredible classic rock of the early to mid 70's is nearly over-shadowed by the later decades atrocities of disco and "singer-songwriter" genre.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 05:45:20 PM »

1980s and it's not even close. The level of skill that developed in the rock and metal genres building on the great musicians that came before was unprecedented. Then sadly once Grunge came about it all just started to die. The best musicians today are the ones that were created in the 80s, nobody can really compare today, even the ones that are considered "good".

agreed, the 80s rocked, and had good pop too
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 06:46:51 PM »

Some of you people clearly have defective ears.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 09:22:51 PM »

1965-1975 saw some of the best music ever produced.
However for sake of the poll I voted 1960's since it had The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Cream, and many other amazing bands.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 11:25:46 PM »

Some of you people clearly have defective ears.

Get over yourself.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2014, 11:05:02 AM »

You are twenty six years old and have the cultural tastes of a not particularly bright sixteen year old. How does it feel to be so, well, stunted?
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2014, 11:16:34 AM »

In terms of stuff that you'd actually hear on the radio, the consensus that the 60s and 70s tower above all other comers is, indeed, the correct one.  Hard to top classic rock and Motown.

I would also consider the 2000s to be a worthy choice, half on the grounds that a lot of my favorite "alternative" and indie pop acts peaked at that time, and half on Tik's grounds that there's just so much stuff being made and so much easier accessibility in the past decade-and-a-half.  

In terms of pop music, the 50s (or earlier) and 80s are obvious laggards.  Rock and its cousins was still just too undeveloped, without much complexity or artistic impulse, until the mid-60s; and while the early 80s had some great New Wave and other classic rock-type things (Elvis Costello, Talking Heads, Paul Simon [yes, Paul's 1980s work was among the best of his career]), the late 80s were just a nuclear wasteland in every genre as far as I can tell.

Obviously this all gives very short shrift to jazz, classical, and other such "art" genres.  Muon's right that jazz probably peaked in the '50s, and obviously classical owns every decade before that.  But, as much as I do actually love classical, and 20thC stuff to boot, I just can't think of it in terms of decades, so I'm leaving it out.  I also happen to think that classical today is pretty good, and has recovered from its postwar nadir artisticially, even if contemporary stuff has next-to-no marketshare.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2014, 11:25:22 AM »

I also happen to think that classical today is pretty good, and has recovered from its postwar nadir artisticially, even if contemporary stuff has next-to-no marketshare.

Though even the idea of a postwar (composition) nadir is kind of questionable; of course you did have the... um... absurdities of the Darmstadt School, but you also had (for instance) pretty much the entire career of Benjamin Britten.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2014, 11:34:36 AM »
« Edited: June 10, 2014, 11:57:19 AM by traininthedistance »

I also happen to think that classical today is pretty good, and has recovered from its postwar nadir artisticially, even if contemporary stuff has next-to-no marketshare.

Though even the idea of a postwar (composition) nadir is kind of questionable; of course you did have the... um... absurdities of the Darmstadt School, but you also had (for instance) pretty much the entire career of Benjamin Britten.

It is to my great embarrassment that I must admit I've never really been able to get into Britten.  I think part of the problem is that his greatest skill seemed to be with operas and vocal music, and I happen to not really care for those forms much as a rule, even when the language barrier isn't a factor.  I much prefer instrumental works for the most part.

Also worth noting that his contemporaries who stayed within a more-or-less tonal idiom tended to be, well, hacks like Walton, so as a whole the era still suffers.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2014, 11:42:54 PM »

You are twenty six years old and have the cultural tastes of a not particularly bright sixteen year old. How does it feel to be so, well, stunted?

Yes mein Fuhrer! I could not care less what you like, I obviously don't like it but good for you that you do. What you need to get over your self on is that just because you don't like it doesn't mean other people can't. Do you feel superior? If so you might want to do some soul searching.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2014, 06:01:01 PM »

It's interesting to think of jazz as an "art" music since was arguably the style of much of "pop" music from the 1920's through the 40's. Does that suggest later in this century rock may become an "art" music when some other style becomes the mainstay of "pop"?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2014, 07:13:08 PM »

Anything up to (and including) the 1970s is an acceptable answer. Anything after is unacceptable and evidence of an appalling lack of taste. Happily this applies - at least with respect to the cut off point - to almost all genres.

What about television? The 2000s are certainly hefty competitors there.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2014, 08:56:11 AM »
« Edited: June 13, 2014, 08:57:46 AM by MOP »

It's interesting to think of jazz as an "art" music since was arguably the style of much of "pop" music from the 1920's through the 40's. Does that suggest later in this century rock may become an "art" music when some other style becomes the mainstay of "pop"?

I suppose that it's possible that, as rock music continues to recede in popularity, its shrinking fanbase becomes more discerning at the same time that what's being put out becomes more sophisticated (I'm fairly certain that that's what happened to jazz after all). Certainly, there's already plenty of rock music out there that has more in common with "art" music (whether jazz or classical) than it does with pop music.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2014, 11:21:58 AM »

Pretty much anything from the 50s-80s, although the 90s and 1920s-40s had a lot of awesome music, too.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2014, 11:23:11 AM »

I suppose that it's possible that, as rock music continues to recede in popularity, its shrinking fanbase becomes more discerning at the same time that what's being put out becomes more sophisticated (I'm fairly certain that that's what happened to jazz after all). Certainly, there's already plenty of rock music out there that has more in common with "art" music (whether jazz or classical) than it does with pop music.
Uh, I don't think so.  Rock has become such a massively popular and all-encompassing genre that new terms are needed to describe it; hence "pop," "metal," "alternative," and nearly any other term you hear bandied about now.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2014, 01:00:21 PM »

Uh, I don't think so.  Rock has become such a massively popular and all-encompassing genre that new terms are needed to describe it; hence "pop," "metal," "alternative," and nearly any other term you hear bandied about now.

You say "now" as if this is some recent development, when in fact the terms "pop rock", "heavy metal", and "alternative rock" have been in use for decades. This is a function of the many different subgenres that have spun off from rock and roll, which was at one time the dominant force in pop music. Since the 1990's, however, rock music's relevance has steadily declined while country, hip-hop, and contemporary R&B have become more popular by the year. If this trend continues, it isn't hard to see rock becoming a niche genre in the way that jazz is today. My hope is that this would be accompanied by a kind of increase in sophistication that was visited upon the latter genre after its own decline in commercial popularity.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2014, 07:35:42 PM »

1965-1975 saw some of the best music ever produced.
However for sake of the poll I voted 1960's since it had The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Cream, and many other amazing bands.

Much of Dylan and the Doors best work, and everything form Zep except their (stellar) first album, was during the 70's.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2014, 08:19:59 AM »

I'd say 90s, but I can see the strong cases for the previous three decades as well.
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2014, 06:22:11 AM »

90s because Swedish death metal.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2014, 04:50:21 PM »

A
1980s and it's not even close. The level of skill that developed in the rock and metal genres building on the great musicians that came before was unprecedented. Then sadly once Grunge came about it all just started to die. The best musicians today are the ones that were created in the 80s, nobody can really compare today, even the ones that are considered "good".

Oh please. Having actually grown up during that culturally blighted decade I can tell you from personal experience how bad it's music sucked. It was the high point of bubble gum Europop (and it's pretenders on this side of the Atlantic).

And don't extole to me the virtues of guitar virtuosos. I WAS in that crowd debating whether Yngwieor Van Halen did better arrpagios in the Mixolydian scale, etc. And the fact is 95% of that crew (outside Eddie Van Halen himself and a few Ozzy/Randy Rhodes compositions) created any actual rock and roll SONGS and MELODIES that have withstood the test of time. Budding little wanna-be Yngwies like us just didn't notice at the time because it was a vastly perferable alternative to pre-electronica Madonna or f&^king Michael Jackson.

Like I said, while there were oasises of exceptions during that decade-long cultural desert, 80's music just sucked. Tongue
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2014, 07:28:39 PM »

You say "now" as if this is some recent development, when in fact the terms "pop rock", "heavy metal", and "alternative rock" have been in use for decades. This is a function of the many different subgenres that have spun off from rock and roll, which was at one time the dominant force in pop music. Since the 1990's, however, rock music's relevance has steadily declined while country, hip-hop, and contemporary R&B have become more popular by the year. If this trend continues, it isn't hard to see rock becoming a niche genre in the way that jazz is today. My hope is that this would be accompanied by a kind of increase in sophistication that was visited upon the latter genre after its own decline in commercial popularity.
I simply meant since the 50s, the time when rock first became the dominant form of pop music.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2014, 10:22:22 AM »

I simply meant since the 50s, the time when rock first became the dominant form of pop music.

I know what you meant. I was using your post as an excuse to make a broader point.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2014, 11:04:15 AM »

1880s, 1890s, 1900s, 1910s
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2014, 11:06:06 AM »

1990s. Then again, I am a 90s nostalgic.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies