Which of the following decades produced the best music? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:05:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which of the following decades produced the best music? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
1920s

1930s

1940s

1950s

1960s

1970s

1980s

1990s

2000s (2000-2009)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Which of the following decades produced the best music?  (Read 7645 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 09, 2014, 11:46:14 AM »

The 60's, with the 70's and 90's in a near tie. The industrial music of the 90's is an underated facet of the decade. The incredible classic rock of the early to mid 70's is nearly over-shadowed by the later decades atrocities of disco and "singer-songwriter" genre.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 07:35:42 PM »

1965-1975 saw some of the best music ever produced.
However for sake of the poll I voted 1960's since it had The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Cream, and many other amazing bands.

Much of Dylan and the Doors best work, and everything form Zep except their (stellar) first album, was during the 70's.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 04:50:21 PM »

A
1980s and it's not even close. The level of skill that developed in the rock and metal genres building on the great musicians that came before was unprecedented. Then sadly once Grunge came about it all just started to die. The best musicians today are the ones that were created in the 80s, nobody can really compare today, even the ones that are considered "good".

Oh please. Having actually grown up during that culturally blighted decade I can tell you from personal experience how bad it's music sucked. It was the high point of bubble gum Europop (and it's pretenders on this side of the Atlantic).

And don't extole to me the virtues of guitar virtuosos. I WAS in that crowd debating whether Yngwieor Van Halen did better arrpagios in the Mixolydian scale, etc. And the fact is 95% of that crew (outside Eddie Van Halen himself and a few Ozzy/Randy Rhodes compositions) created any actual rock and roll SONGS and MELODIES that have withstood the test of time. Budding little wanna-be Yngwies like us just didn't notice at the time because it was a vastly perferable alternative to pre-electronica Madonna or f&^king Michael Jackson.

Like I said, while there were oasises of exceptions during that decade-long cultural desert, 80's music just sucked. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies