Senate Democrats Begin Efforts to Amend Constitution To Overturn Citizens United
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:27:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate Democrats Begin Efforts to Amend Constitution To Overturn Citizens United
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate Democrats Begin Efforts to Amend Constitution To Overturn Citizens United  (Read 734 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2014, 11:08:13 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Roll Call

It won't pass, of course, but this is very good to see.  This kind of do-nothingness is no worse than most do-nothingness we see in Congress.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 12:25:38 AM »

This is essential.  The left has to own this issue.  Americans are apparently so conscious of "tyranny" lately, what with Obama's FEMA black army and all of it, and I can think of few worse kinds of tyranny than rich people buying the government. 
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 08:06:41 AM »

Rich people have always been buying the government. Prior to Citizens United, it was only rich media moguls who were allowed to do it. Internet dominates media, and the internet will be even more dominant in the future. The major internet players and software companies are run by Democrats, and the company that owns one the world's most powerful internet browsers vowed never to work for a man who believed in traditional marriage.

Democrats know exactly what they are doing, and its sad to see their sheeple goosestep along with them. Media corporations cannot be controlled because they hide behind the first amendment. Why would any other company be denied the same protection?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 08:38:54 AM »
« Edited: June 09, 2014, 10:29:52 AM by Badger »

Rich people have always been buying the government. Prior to Citizens United, it was only rich media moguls who were allowed to do it. Internet dominates media, and the internet will be even more dominant in the future. The major internet players and software companies are run by Democrats, and the company that owns one the world's most powerful internet browsers vowed never to work for a man who believed in traditional marriage.

Democrats know exactly what they are doing, and its sad to see their sheeple goosestep along with them. Media corporations cannot be controlled because they hide behind the first amendment. Why would any other company be denied the same protection?

Oh of course!  When talking Citizens United, one can not help but think of pinko liberals like the Cock Brothers and Art Pope who have been just all over this thing.  Oh, and goosestepping?  Hahaha... Yea, we were all goosestepping behind the CEO of Google to the polls in 2012.

Are you done trolling?  I mean, I hope you are trolling because I can't take your opinions seriously.  Then again... R-TX... So I can only imagine.....
CountryClassSF

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 08:41:48 AM »

In some ways it's interesting because Democrats seem to have benefited more from CU than Republicans have.  Look at the Ready for Hillary PAC fundraising.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 10:19:58 AM »

Oh, I don't agree with this at all. But, this is strange, because I seem to remember reading some article that says the Democrats actually out fundraised the Republicans during the 2012 electoral cycle. Bizarre strategy.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 10:47:14 AM »

Oh, I don't agree with this at all. But, this is strange, because I seem to remember reading some article that says the Democrats actually out fundraised the Republicans during the 2012 electoral cycle. Bizarre strategy.
The Democrats outraise the Republicans becausethe big money on the right gives their millions to secret "independent non profits."
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 11:36:44 AM »

Oh of course!  When talking Citizens United, one can not help but think of pinko liberals like the Cock Brothers and Art Pope who have been just all over this thing.  Oh, and goosestepping?  Hahaha... Yea, we were all goosestepping behind the CEO of Google to the polls in 2012.

Are you done trolling?  I mean, I hope you are trolling because I can't take your opinions seriously.  Then again... R-TX... So I can only imagine to what degree of a vile little **** you are.

No amount of lashing out is going to fix the underlying inconsistencies and disrespect for American citizens. Democrats know damn well that overturning CU will not fix anything, it simply restores the old-fashioned political paradigm which gives exclusive privilege of political influence to media and communications corporations.

It's a pointless endeavor and an irresponsible flouting of basic constitutional principles. If you don't like the effect dumb policy initiatives has on your reputation, don't support them. Otherwise, goosestep and be proud of it.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 11:48:44 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2014, 11:50:30 AM by They call me PR »

The Democrats outraise the Republicans becausethe big money on the right gives their millions to secret "independent non profits."

Yeah, it's really no surprise at all when you consider that the Democrats don't have nearly  as many obscenely wealthy individuals or family foundations on their side that can operate outside official channels of campaign finance, and who have a real interest in covering their tracks.

CountryClassSF

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 01:20:36 PM »

Many in the Tea Party would actually benefit from this being overturned too. The establishment crowd has spent more money this cycle trying to dispatch Tea Party folks (See 6/3 CAGov results) than they do vs. Democrats.

Perhaps this is an area where it is in the Tea Party's best interest to work with the Democrats.  Though, the Democrats seem to have embraced CU.  They say that they "have to because it's the new reality" but I don't buy it They wouldn't be raising such gobs of cash otherwise.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 07:30:16 PM »

It took them 4 years just to begin this effort?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 11:04:46 PM »

I read SJ Res 19. It seems to have a loophole built in with an unequivocal protection of the freedom of the press. All a wealthy interested party would need to do is to buy a media company and editorialize on their topic of interest. In this internet age it might not take much to qualify as a member of the press.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 11:06:22 PM »

All a wealthy interested party would need to do is to buy a media company and editorialize on their topic of interest.

Have you ever heard of a man by the name of Rupert Murdoch?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 03:19:27 AM »

How did we get this far without quoting the proposal?

Oh of course!  When talking Citizens United, one can not help but think of pinko liberals like the Cock Brothers and Art Pope who have been just all over this thing.  Oh, and goosestepping?  Hahaha... Yea, we were all goosestepping behind the CEO of Google to the polls in 2012.

Are you done trolling?  I mean, I hope you are trolling because I can't take your opinions seriously.  Then again... R-TX... So I can only imagine to what degree of a vile little **** you are.

No amount of lashing out is going to fix the underlying inconsistencies and disrespect for American citizens. Democrats know damn well that overturning CU will not fix anything, it simply restores the old-fashioned political paradigm which gives exclusive privilege of political influence to media and communications corporations.

It's a pointless endeavor and an irresponsible flouting of basic constitutional principles. If you don't like the effect dumb policy initiatives has on your reputation, don't support them. Otherwise, goosestep and be proud of it.

This isn't overturning CU, it's far, far broader.  Giving Congress the power to pass limits on funding and not running into any constitutional challenges leaves the door open to the possibility of actual substantive changes, even if it doesn't guarantee them.  If nothing else, several civic-minded states would embrace this and act as laboratories for far-reaching reforms with their state races. 
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 08:48:18 AM »

This isn't overturning CU, it's far, far broader.  Giving Congress the power to pass limits on funding and not running into any constitutional challenges leaves the door open to the possibility of actual substantive changes, even if it doesn't guarantee them.  If nothing else, several civic-minded states would embrace this and act as laboratories for far-reaching reforms with their state races. 

That's all good information, but you can't control media and communications corporations with financial restrictions. There is no substantive change, regardless of the wording. It is merely a step back in time to an era when media and communications dominated the political process.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 12:43:19 PM »

I support a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United, but I'm not particularly fond of the language. I'd prefer something like this proposal from 2010:

Or even something like this (also from 2010):

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 12:45:23 PM »

I believe we should also prohibit corporations from owning real property.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2014, 07:38:03 PM »

I read SJ Res 19. It seems to have a loophole built in with an unequivocal protection of the freedom of the press. All a wealthy interested party would need to do is to buy a media company and editorialize on their topic of interest. In this internet age it might not take much to qualify as a member of the press.

Newspaper editorials convince few people.

Of course there is 24-hour propaganda from FoX "News" Channel.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies