Michelle Obama for Senate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:53:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Michelle Obama for Senate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Michelle Obama for Senate?  (Read 3343 times)
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2014, 09:21:36 PM »

In a Reuters article, First Lady Michelle Obama is noted for having passion for various issues ranging from her school lunch program to the kidnapping of schoolgirls in Nigeria. She has also proven herself to be an adept fundraiser and public speaker.

According to the author of the article, Michelle Obama makes a viable option for the 2016 Illinois Senate race as the potential Democratic nominee against Republican Sen. Mark Kirk, the current holder of the seat up in 2016, and a poll from 2012 showing her ahead of Kirk by eleven points is provided as evidence that she would make the election very competitive.

Anyhow, my question: Does Michelle Obama seem like a plausible Senate candidate? Why or why not?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 09:23:04 PM »

Definitely not, she hates electoral politics from everything I've read about her.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 09:23:19 PM »

What RogueBeaver said. I've heard she hates DC.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 09:43:35 PM »

Madigan is probably more likely, but I feel like it's going to be an Illinois B-lister instead.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 09:43:53 PM »

The Democrats can win this race with just about anyone. Michelle Obama is not needed, and she doesn't want to run anyway.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 09:48:11 PM »

Madigan is probably more likely, but I feel like it's going to be an Illinois B-lister instead.

I've mentioned this here a few times, but my roommate from Chicago (who has some political connections apparently), seems very convinced that Madigan isn't interested in US Senate. He could be wrong for all I know.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 09:58:48 PM »

I've mentioned this here a few times, but my roommate from Chicago (who has some political connections apparently), seems very convinced that Madigan isn't interested in US Senate. He could be wrong for all I know.

Yeah, Madigan doesn't strike me as a DC-type either.

I think Sheila Simon's going to make a run at it myself.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 11:04:12 PM »

She would be an amazing Senator, but I doubt she will do it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 12:39:05 AM »

Madigan's best chance was to be gov but she didnt want to take on Rutherford. She will have to deal with Vallas instead of Quinn on the Dem side for gov in 18.

I am hoping we are wrong that she wont run for senate. If she passes Simon is our best bet.

Obamas will surely settle on retirement after prez. Which historians will have mixed reviews on. Michelle doesnt want scrutiny too.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 06:03:07 PM »

Michelle isn't HRC. She's far more decent than HRC.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 07:21:53 PM »

I would love to see her run just because of how passionate, awesome and informed she is on her most pertinent issues, but she won't. Not only is she tired of Washington, but her getting elected to the Senate would only mean 12-18 more years of the same crap Barack had to deal with and not even Bo would want that. Plus even if Democrats control the Senate after 2016, Republicans would literally filibuster every bill Michelle proposed as a basis of "government fascism." In fact, the Republican cavalry of the Paul's, Cruz's, Aderholt's and Limbaugh's would love to see Michelle Obama in Washington because if she didn't run, Republicans would have to find a new way to distract themselves from actually doing their jobs and keeping the Obama's in Washington would solve that problem!

As for who will likely face Kirk, the problem with Sheila Simon is she's got to beat Topinka first which isn't a guarantee to begin with given Topinka has won statewide every time since 1994 (except in 2006) plus Simon could get hurt in her race from Quinn as well as Frerichs. White will obviously be old too run in 2016, Vallas (assuming Quinn wins re-election) will be too inexperienced which leaves Madigan as the only viable statewide candidate. I could see Giannoulias or Hynes giving another shot at Senate, though.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 07:32:41 PM »

She would be open to questions about hubby's fundraising. But, she isnt Hillary, but she can put it in perspective like Hilary can. Since no one has any interest in a state primed to be key to Senate maj, then Michelle may
run.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 08:02:47 PM »

As for who will likely face Kirk, the problem with Sheila Simon is she's got to beat Topinka first which isn't a guarantee to begin with given Topinka has won statewide every time since 1994 (except in 2006) plus Simon could get hurt in her race from Quinn as well as Frerichs. White will obviously be old too run in 2016, Vallas (assuming Quinn wins re-election) will be too inexperienced which leaves Madigan as the only viable statewide candidate. I could see Giannoulias or Hynes giving another shot at Senate, though.

I think she's just doing this to keep her name in the limelight. Topinka is not beatable in this climate, and especially with Pat Quinn leading the ticket.

If she doesn't run, what about Duckworth? I think one of those two is going to win in the primary.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 08:16:06 PM »

Duckworth has a compelling story, but I can't say her win was a majority her doing, she beat the most annoying and backward incumbent who didn't seem to give a damn if he won a second term. She lost to a much stronger non-incumbent in 2006. I doubt she would be able to beat Kirk unless its a Dem wave, which 2016 very well could be.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 10:50:04 PM »

Maybe. Then she'll run for president in 2024, barely lose, and then be begged by desperate Democrats to run in 2032
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 02:19:30 PM »

I do NOT see Michelle Obama running for the United States Senate against Kirk in 2016.

She will prefer to move back to Chicago, Illinois and enjoy RETIREMENT.

Moderate VA Voter, what's this I've been hearing about the Obamas' pulling a Clinton and not moving back to Illinois by buying property in North Carolina ?

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 03:18:27 PM »

Duckworth has a compelling story, but I can't say her win was a majority her doing, she beat the most annoying and backward incumbent who didn't seem to give a damn if he won a second term. She lost to a much stronger non-incumbent in 2006. I doubt she would be able to beat Kirk unless its a Dem wave, which 2016 very well could be.

What makes you think Kirk is that formidable? Duckworth would beat him even in an Republican year all any Dem has to do is run up their margins in Cook County he would've against a competent Dem in 2010.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 03:28:45 PM »

What makes you think Kirk is that formidable? Duckworth would beat him even in an Republican year all any Dem has to do is run up their margins in Cook County, he would've lost against a competent Dem in 2010.

Kirk is an incumbent (an actual incumbent, not like John Walsh in Montana), one of the best candidates the Illinois GOP could put up, and beyond a couple of people, the Illinois Democratic party bench is actually not that great (Madigan isn't going to run, Simon is going to lose big time to Topinka, and then my case for Duckworth not being as good as some say she is). And if the Republicans do have a victory in 2014, it may signal some Dems not to go after Kirk, as a result, leaving a not so competent Dem to challenge him like in 2010.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 04:42:54 PM »

What makes you think Kirk is that formidable? Duckworth would beat him even in an Republican year all any Dem has to do is run up their margins in Cook County, he would've lost against a competent Dem in 2010.

Kirk is an incumbent (an actual incumbent, not like John Walsh in Montana), one of the best candidates the Illinois GOP could put up, and beyond a couple of people, the Illinois Democratic party bench is actually not that great (Madigan isn't going to run, Simon is going to lose big time to Topinka, and then my case for Duckworth not being as good as some say she is). And if the Republicans do have a victory in 2014, it may signal some Dems not to go after Kirk, as a result, leaving a not so competent Dem to challenge him like in 2010.

What makes you so sure Madigan isn't going to run? And if the Democrats lose the Senate in 2014, Kirk will be their top target because they will need every seat to win back the majority there is no way they would let him slide.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 11:20:57 AM »
« Edited: June 17, 2014, 11:23:15 AM by Mr. Illini »

I don't think Michelle or Madigan will be running for Senate in 2016. Madigan is going to stick to Springfield and likely run for Governor once her father retires. Michelle is very smart and would do very well, but I do think she will want to settle down after the Obama presidency. I really hope she doesn't run in North Carolina (and idk why she would). I would feel betrayed.

If I had to draft an early line-up for the Dems, it would be Duckworth, Luis Gutierrez, Robin Kelly, and Sheila Simon if she can get past Topinka.

My early choice would be Robin Kelly, but it doesn't mean much at this point.

I don't think any of them are b-listers, btw. They're all quality candidates with great name recognition in the area and present a big threat to Senator Kirk.

I really like Kirk and would probably vote to re-elect him, but he doesn't stand much of a chance if the Dems put up a somewhat decent candidate. 2010 was an anomaly year and the candidate he faced was unexciting anyway.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 11:44:44 AM »

I don't think Michelle or Madigan will be running for Senate in 2016. Madigan is going to stick to Springfield and likely run for Governor once her father retires. Michelle is very smart and would do very well, but I do think she will want to settle down after the Obama presidency. I really hope she doesn't run in North Carolina (and idk why she would). I would feel betrayed.

If I had to draft an early line-up for the Dems, it would be Duckworth, Luis Gutierrez, Robin Kelly, and Sheila Simon if she can get past Topinka.

My early choice would be Robin Kelly, but it doesn't mean much at this point.

I don't think any of them are b-listers, btw. They're all quality candidates with great name recognition in the area and present a big threat to Senator Kirk.

I really like Kirk and would probably vote to re-elect him, but he doesn't stand much of a chance if the Dems put up a somewhat decent candidate. 2010 was an anomaly year and the candidate he faced was unexciting anyway.

I think Madigan would prefer being a Senator, Illinois seems like it would be a difficult state to Govern with all its problems being a Senator seems relatively easy.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 11:54:49 AM »

Lolwut?  I don't know two people who like her, much less would vote for her.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2014, 02:37:56 PM »

I don't think Michelle or Madigan will be running for Senate in 2016. Madigan is going to stick to Springfield.

If I had to draft an early line-up for the Dems, it would be Duckworth, Robin Kelly, or Simon.

My early choice would be Robin Kelly.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 08:28:21 AM »

Kirk suggests Michelle Obama might run in fundraising letter.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 10:02:17 AM »

Lol Kirk.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies