SENATE BILL: Demilitarization Act of 2014 (Redraft Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:44:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Demilitarization Act of 2014 (Redraft Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Demilitarization Act of 2014 (Redraft Law'd)  (Read 5618 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2014, 07:13:11 PM »
« edited: July 12, 2014, 09:09:56 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: TNF
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 08:26:05 PM »

Didn't we already vote this down last session?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 12:04:18 PM »

Didn't we already vote this down last session?

No, this is an entirely new bill.

The purpose of this act is to trim spending in the armed forces and fully end the requirement of draft registration.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 02:07:21 PM »

I must ask, do we really want to weaken our military even more?

Some past bills seem to have reduced the military budget quite substantially (except in benefits for Veterans), and I don't think it's a good idea to pursue such a line of thinking. If anything, I would argue that we need to consider to raise spending on the military next budget instead of trimming it even more.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 02:14:07 PM »

Some people oppose our current status as a superpower and feel severely weakening our military and intelligence capabilities is the way to go, spending that money domestically instead.

I tend to disagree, as I feel we play an important role on the national stage, and rolling back our military capabilities would be harmful, but others don't. C'est la vie.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 03:19:05 PM »

Just about anything with "Demilitarization" in it's title will never get my vote. Tongue
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 08:59:07 AM »

I fail to see how preventing military recruitment in high schools and colleges, and eliminating the waste that is the military propaganda (I'm sorry, "advertising") budget is going to make our military "weaker."
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 03:09:47 PM »

I fail to see how preventing military recruitment in high schools and colleges, and eliminating the waste that is the military propaganda (I'm sorry, "advertising") budget is going to make our military "weaker."

Just pointing out that if you're going that route, all advertising is propaganda here (though knowing you, you probably support the abolition of private television stations).
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 03:38:24 PM »

FYI, freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, equal protection, etc all would be violated if we passed this bill.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 07:48:55 PM »

Not necessarily because the military works for the gov't and the gov't can regulate what it can and cannot do.

That said, I don't see a problem with having military recruiters on campuses. Its a matter of free choice, no one is forcing you to pick up the brochure.

Clause 2, maybe.

Clause 3, in conjucntion with Clause 1 would severly crimp recruitment.

Clause 4, What is wrong with these programs? Membership is voluntary and for those who select the military as a career, it can be helpful in terms of getting thme ready, which is what school is suppose to do, get people ready for their careers or indirectly so with college preparations.

Clause 5 - We have a high standard and severe limitations on the use of the draft. I hate the system myself, but if we still have a use for the draft in emergency circumstnaces, we should also have a means to put it to use.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 10:45:27 AM »

FYI, freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, equal protection, etc all would be violated if we passed this bill.

Nonsense. The military does not have the automatic right to go into schools and try and convince people to join up anymore than any other organization does.

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 10:51:26 AM »

Nonsense. The military does not have the automatic right to go into schools and try and convince people to join up anymore than any other organization does.

Could be, but that doesn't mean we should forbade them to go into schools. If they convince people and they join the army of their own accord, what's the problem?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 11:05:36 AM »

Right, TNF. The military has the same rights that any other organization, sans something like alcohol or tobacco companies, to go advertise to people. The state can limit free speech if it has a specific reason to do so, yes, but I don't see a valid reason to ban military recruitment. They aren't forcing anyone to sign up. They are recruiting volunteers. Just as all advertisers do.

What interest does the state have in limiting their freedom of speech?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 08:17:37 PM »

The military has no freedom of speech, because it is a gov't entity. It does what we tell them to do. Only if the military were an independnet entity would the concern be ah a concern, Mr. President. Tongue That would violate the principle of civilian control over the military, which is a dangerous road to traverse.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 12:13:17 AM »

With perhaps Section 5 being the exception, I fail to see why this is controversial in any way, shape or form? Do we really want to promote a culture of meatheadism and pathways through it as viable options when pursuing secondary and post-secondary education?

The military recruitment system preys on adolescents like any typical rapist, making them promises that will never be kept (and legally don't have to be kept). At the end of the day, these kids are worn down so much physically and psychologically that very few of them ever make it to any decent retirement.

It disproportionately targets minority communities for recruitment because the relatively low wages and risk of fatality is only palatable to those who are disproportionately stuck in a type of poverty from which escape feels impossible. The remainder only join because of either bloodlust or ignorance, or if they're lucky, enroll in college and become officers instead.

If somebody wants to throw their physical and mental health away - along with a pretty good chunk of their dignity for a trade-off of "discipline" - then let them seek out such an opportunity on their own.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 05:53:22 AM »

Right, TNF. The military has the same rights that any other organization, sans something like alcohol or tobacco companies, to go advertise to people. The state can limit free speech if it has a specific reason to do so, yes, but I don't see a valid reason to ban military recruitment. They aren't forcing anyone to sign up. They are recruiting volunteers. Just as all advertisers do.

What interest does the state have in limiting their freedom of speech?

That, then, is the question, whether the military is more like a tobacco company or one that sells car insurance, and I think a good argument can be made that the military is like the tobacco company.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 09:45:33 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2014, 10:06:45 AM by President Duke »

Well, even with alcohol and tobacco companies, the companies are still allowed to advertise. They just cannot target underaged people and they must include warnings on their ads. They are not outright banned from having their voices heard.

I am okay with clause 2 though.. Tongue
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 10:20:50 AM »

Well, even with alcohol and tobacco companies, the companies are still allowed to advertise. They just cannot target underaged people and they must include warnings on their ads. They are not outright banned from having their voices heard.

Nah, all drug advertising is actually banned in Atlasia.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 10:37:45 AM »

Even tobacco and alcohol? Interesting.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 10:42:41 AM »

Yeah, you actually signed that into law:

Quote from: Restricted
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 10:46:09 AM »

Yeah, you actually signed that into law:

Quote from: Restricted

Oh, right, I remember that. I wonder if that is constitutional, for the soft drugs at least. I do think the state has an interest in limiting or banning advertising of those things due to the inherit risks of drinking/smoking/using drugs.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 12:02:02 PM »

What is wrong with ROTC?   It's not my cup of tea, but if someone is considering a military career, that could be very helpful preparation.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »

I was never a fan of ROTC either but I certainly don't see why it should be banned.

Also pulling the millitary back and seperating it from the people is only going to make people more suspicious of it and engender the risk of what we experienced post Vietnam with regards to our troops getting treated like crap.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2014, 06:07:56 AM »

Offering an amendment:

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2014, 11:31:27 AM »

Friendly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies