SENATE BILL: Demilitarization Act of 2014 (Redraft Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:54:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Demilitarization Act of 2014 (Redraft Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Demilitarization Act of 2014 (Redraft Law'd)  (Read 5621 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2014, 12:22:38 AM »

What will we do if we, god forbid, have to use the draft someday? I don't think any one of us wants to ever use it, but it's best we keep it in place in the event it's necessary to protect our country.

I think times are different now and most politicians know how terrible it is for them to support a draft.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2014, 01:43:22 AM »

I'll just be frank........

Even by the standards of some of the nuts on here- this is the dumbest piece of legislation I've seen proposed on here (barring the ones that are clearly jokes....)

And some of the language used here has been downright offensive- I'm looking at you,Adam Griffin....comparing military recruiters to rapists is a comment I would have thought was beneath you. I am disappointed

While the language was certainly colorful, I stand by the sentiment of my statements. These individuals are allowed to enter our campuses, make promises to minors that in many cases are never kept and swoop around scooping up signatures as soon as the kids in question turn 18. I saw multiple friends get wrapped up into this song and dance during the Iraq/Afghanistan ordeals. They talked about the retirement packages, the ability to move up the ladder and all of that, but it never came. One of them was supposed to/signed a contract to be a cook and ended up ultimately being placed on the frontlines, while another one served three tours and now can't go outside on the Fourth of July because of fireworks/PTSD, let alone hold down a job or finish a career in the military. Modern recruiters are the harbingers of shattered souls.

I'm assuming based on your age and arena of service that you were drafted? I'd actually much rather go back to a system somewhat like that, instead of what we have today: a commission-based system that preys on those who aren't yet ready to make such decisions, with that process occurring almost exclusively in low-income and/or minority communities. At least with a modern rendition of the draft, we could work around a lot of the former issues with exemptions and ensure that it is socioeconomically just, rather than just playing on the desires, whims and wishes of the disenfranchised to fill the ranks.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2014, 02:50:05 AM »

You can change the standards and guidelines for the recruiters you know. They kind of work for the Gov't, not some third party. Wink

Nay

To repeal the draft would require an amendment and would be best pursued in that mediam, along with which you could attach the abolishment of selective service at the same time either in the amendment or as attached legislation that would go to the President whilst the Amendemnt went to the voters like we did with the At-Large terms just a few weeks ago.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2014, 03:08:07 AM »

NAY

Just in case it was lost in that text.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2014, 06:21:03 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2014, 03:46:44 PM by Senator bore »

Nay

Changing my vote to Aye
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2014, 10:50:59 AM »

Aye
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2014, 12:03:05 PM »

Wait, surely voting Aye means that section 4 is struck, and vice versa?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2014, 12:26:20 PM »

Nay.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2014, 01:11:45 PM »

I'll just be frank........

Even by the standards of some of the nuts on here- this is the dumbest piece of legislation I've seen proposed on here (barring the ones that are clearly jokes....)

And some of the language used here has been downright offensive- I'm looking at you,Adam Griffin....comparing military recruiters to rapists is a comment I would have thought was beneath you. I am disappointed

While the language was certainly colorful, I stand by the sentiment of my statements. These individuals are allowed to enter our campuses, make promises to minors that in many cases are never kept and swoop around scooping up signatures as soon as the kids in question turn 18. I saw multiple friends get wrapped up into this song and dance during the Iraq/Afghanistan ordeals. They talked about the retirement packages, the ability to move up the ladder and all of that, but it never came. One of them was supposed to/signed a contract to be a cook and ended up ultimately being placed on the frontlines, while another one served three tours and now can't go outside on the Fourth of July because of fireworks/PTSD, let alone hold down a job or finish a career in the military. Modern recruiters are the harbingers of shattered souls.

I'm assuming based on your age and arena of service that you were drafted? I'd actually much rather go back to a system somewhat like that, instead of what we have today: a commission-based system that preys on those who aren't yet ready to make such decisions, with that process occurring almost exclusively in low-income and/or minority communities. At least with a modern rendition of the draft, we could work around a lot of the former issues with exemptions and ensure that it is socioeconomically just, rather than just playing on the desires, whims and wishes of the disenfranchised to fill the ranks.
No- I was not drafted,I volunteered like my father did and he never came back and I never met him because of that and I knew,even though Vietnam hadn't yet become a large scale conflict for us, that I might not come home either

And you need to understand that the military is not like the civilian world....when the world goes to hell in a handbasket, we can't ignore it. There is a reason military cooks go thru boot camp and aren't sent to Le Cordon Bleu....they have to be ready to fight. It is clear to every one who enlists that they may be called to fight.

Are recruiters slick salesman who stretch the truth? Sure......but are they lying about the opportunity the military provides? Ask the millions who have degrees hanging on their walls paid for thru the GI Bill. Ask the millions who learned technical skills which carried thru their entire careers and leadership skills for the same. Ask me- who learned all there was to know about construction and came back to build homes and provide for my family

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2014, 02:54:25 PM »

you object to an amendment and then vote for it?

anyway, Nay.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2014, 03:52:24 PM »

Yankee, I am requesting a halt in the vote.

I think half of us have voted the wrong way due to a misunderstanding.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2014, 01:15:56 AM »

I think I did the same. Tongue Alfred's vote confused me into thinking it was a final vote for some reason.

change my vote to AYE
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2014, 01:30:46 AM »

There is only one way to end the vote that I know have and would require the Vice President to temporarily rescind my authorization to run this thread thus making the vote illegal. BK did this back early last year on something that turned into a mess, which was the last time I think we had to wheel him in here.

I have contacted those Senators who haven't voted and/or those whose votes don't make sense cosnidering what they have said versus their votes. And it appears I forgot to include Griffin since all those posts of him fighting with the US Navy made me think one of them was a vote. Tongue
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2014, 04:49:41 AM »

Nay
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2014, 05:16:08 AM »

Aye?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2014, 10:05:15 AM »

Changing vote to Nay.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2014, 02:13:44 PM »

Changing vote to Aye
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2014, 02:24:28 PM »

AYE
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2014, 12:07:21 AM »

Changing vote to Aye.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2014, 04:08:28 AM »

Vote on Amendment 61:68 by bore:

Aye (7): Adam Griffin, bore, Goldwater, Lumine, NC Yankee, TNF and TyriontheImperialist
Nay (3): Alfred F. Jones, DC al Fine and shua
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (0):

The amendment has passed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2014, 03:26:10 AM »

So what now?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2014, 10:05:44 PM »

There is only one way to end the vote that I know have and would require the Vice President to temporarily rescind my authorization to run this thread thus making the vote illegal. BK did this back early last year on something that turned into a mess, which was the last time I think we had to wheel him in here.

I remember in my last stint as Vice President this happened and I pointed out that I never explicitly delegated anything to you when you won the PPT election so therefore you technically had no authority to run the Senate, then I retroactively delegated all powers to you except regarding the specific incident in question. Assuming that you were not delegated the VP's powers when you won office at the beginning at the current term, the same trick will work again. PM me if you need further help with this

Senate Rules really need a provision that says something like "any rule can be waived with unanimous consent" or whatev
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2014, 06:43:55 AM »
« Edited: June 28, 2014, 06:46:29 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

I remember in my last stint as Vice President this happened and I pointed out that I never explicitly delegated anything to you when you won the PPT election so therefore you technically had no authority to run the Senate, then I retroactively delegated all powers to you except regarding the specific incident in question. Assuming that you were not delegated the VP's powers when you won office at the beginning at the current term, the same trick will work again. PM me if you need further help with this

Senate Rules really need a provision that says something like "any rule can be waived with unanimous consent" or whatev

I am pretty sure we got everyone's votes corrected in time so it shouldn't be necessary. Also it is not so much that help is required, but that I needed the VP to do that and Cincy wasn't available when the issue came up. Tongue

Good to see you just the same man. Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2014, 12:17:12 AM »

So where are we going with this?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2014, 02:06:28 AM »

Senators, a final vote is now open on this legislation, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies