Remaking the GOP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:51:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Remaking the GOP
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Remaking the GOP  (Read 3254 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2014, 08:35:29 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: McCain to Announce Vice President

"Washington is broken my friends, it's been broken for a long time. The special interests and the power brokers have been cuddling up down there good and tight and politicians from both parties have been spinning the same yarns again and again, only with different faces. Both parties for too long have promised change, but change never comes. We'll I'm tired of it. I'm tired of the gridlock, I'm tired of the division. It is time for unity in this country again. (Cheers) It's time to get America working again. I intend to launch a campaign that appeals to the best of America, not to one particular group over the other. I favor all Americans, Democrats, Republicans, vegetarians alike. It is time for this country to be whole again. (Cheers) It is time for some straight talk (cheers) time for some straight talk from the White House and solutions in the White House. Which is why today I am announcing my running mate. I have chosen a man who at one time sat on the other side of the aisle, who I may not always agree with, but I know has America's best interests at heart and can help me bring the change to Washington and the change for America. These are drastic times. These are times of great challenge for America and they require both sides working together for the good of the nation. My friends, it is my honor to introduce to you the next Vice President of the United States of America Joe Lieberman!"

"This is either political suicide, or a stroke of genius." -- David Axelrod

Anderson Cooper: I have to say this announcement today came as a shock to many. We had heard in recent days the likely nominee was either Tim Pawlenty, Governor of Minnesota or Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney. McCain went with neither. Can you talk us through the decision making process on what brought Senator McCain to select Joe Lieberman?

Steve Schmidt: Senator McCain is concerned about America and the challenges this country faces are bigger than one man or party. He is teaming up with Joe Lieberman, a Democrat turned independent senator to fix the problems facing this country. Our message is country first and that is what we're doing.

Anderson Cooper: But Senator Lieberman was the Democrat's running mate for VP eight years ago, isn't that a concern with the Republican base who let's be honest isn't quite receptive to John McCain?

Steve Schmidt: This is not about politics Anderson, this is about the country.

General Election Poll (Pre-Announcement )
Obama: 48%
McCain: 44%
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 11:06:26 PM »

Sean Hannity: This is quite an unexpected and frank brash move by John McCain. He is not loved by the base and this is sort of a jab in the eye to conservatives anyway. Lieberman, great guy. Right on the war, right on foreign policy, better in a cabinet position. I mean, conservatives will bolt in the convention next week. They'll never tolerate this pick.

"I reject the nay-sayers. This is about putting our country first. The bitter reaction shows just how divided and broken our system is. I want to repair it. I think I've started in that direction. We're not in this for partisan gain. This is about helping America at a time of great peril. We have two wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, a shaky economy, an uncertain middle class, this is time for the country to rally together, not come apart. I hope we can see that for once this is not politics as usual, but actually putting people above politics, now that's a change and it's the change America desperately needs."

"I respect Senator Lieberman and Senator McCain. I think Joe is a very qualified and competent man, but I see a very hawkish ticket and I don't think that's the kind of change America wants or deserves."

Two Prominent Democrats Back McCain
Senator Evan Bayh (D-IN)
Governor Joe Manchin (D-WV)

After Tense Moments, Lieberman Nominated as VP
Joe Lieberman is the Vice Presidential nominee for the Republican ticket. Some of the delegates did leave in a form of protest, but enough remained and Lieberman got over the top. In his acceptance speech Lieberman pledged to work with Senator McCain "to tackle the big issues facing our country. I am proud to be putting my country before my label. That is how strong I believe in this cause."

McCain Accepts GOP Nod
"...country first is more than a slogan my friends. It is a principle, it is a theme, it is what I have done all my life, before party, before politics. America has given me so much, and this is the least I can do for her. As President I will always put this country first. I pledge to end the bitter partisanship and division. It is time for unity. It is time for us to be America again..."

Bloomberg Endorses McCain: "This is a time for problem solving, not politics as usual."

General Election Poll: Post GOP Convention
McCain: 49%
Obama: 44%

Obama: 248
McCain: 245
Tossup: 45

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 12:00:01 PM »

Throwing a middle finger to the conservative base of the GOP are we?
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 08:13:57 PM »

Obama going to choke this election.

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 05:21:03 PM »

"Recent polls show a tightening race between Senator McCain and Senator Obama. Though, Senator McCain continues to hold a narrow lead over the Illinois Senator and is either tied or leading in the key battleground states."

Limbaugh: No on McCain
"The Lieberman nomination is the only the beginning for this guy. It'll be free reign for the Democrats if we get this man into office. I mean dear God. First it's campaign finance reform, then it's amnesty, now it's Al Gore's running mate, I mean, and let's not forget about the Bush tax cuts, McCain opposed them too...We're in trouble folks and with this guy as the leader of the conservative Republican Party, we're in trouble."

Daily Tracking Poll:
McCain: 47%
Obama: 46%
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 09:37:40 PM »

People seem to forget McCain has a staunch conservative voting record.

RR1997
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 07:44:19 PM »

This is interesting. Please continue this.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 11:22:50 AM »

McCain Draws Distinctions
"Senator Obama's plan is to tax our way to prosperity my friends. We know that doesn't work. My tax plan benefits every American. I will make the Bush Tax Cuts permanent and I've got a ballpoint here and I will not be afraid to use it. Any bill that comes across my desk that is loaded with pork or wasteful spending I will veto it!"

Obama Blasts McCain and GOP
"The Republican Party is a wreck. They've crashed our economy, they've led us into two wars and they've weakened us at home and abroad. It's time to turn the page America and start a new beginning. Senator McCain claims to be rebuilding the Republican Party, that it's a new party now, don't believe it folks."

Gallup Tracking Poll: September 2008
Obama/Biden: 48%
McCain/Lieberman: 47%
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 11:43:17 AM »

Very interesting; I really like this TL.  I feel like this POD is underused and you're definitely doing an awesome job flushing it out in a realistic way while still allowing the possibility for President McCain! Cheesy
cbannon5
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 07:14:27 PM »

Very interesting but I don't see how doubling down on hawkishness (as embodied by Joe Lieberman) could have helped Sen. McCain.   
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 09:09:47 PM »

McCain and Obama Meet for First Debate
Senator Barack Obama and Senator John McCain met for the first Presidential debate at the University of Mississippi, in the wake of the economic crisis hitting the country. Americans tuned into see the two candidate's visions for American and plan to lead the country out of the oncoming recession. The two men traded barbs, Obama criticized McCain and the Republicans for the failing economy, while McCain pointed to his experience.

McCain: I am tested. I am up to the challenges we face here at home and abroad. This is is a time for change, I do not say otherwise. I believe by selecting Senator Joe Lieberman, a Democrat as my running mate represents how serious I am about changing this country and putting the country, not the party label first. I admire Senator Obama, but I feel he is not ready or tested to deal with the myriad of problems we have today. This is not the time for on the job training. We have two wars in the middle east and a weak economy. I can help this country, all my years of service have brought me to this point to be able to help America at this critical junction.

Obama: Senator McCain, represents the same failed policies we've seen the past seven years and a continuations of the policies that got us into the mess we're in today. We've tried it their way, it hasn't worked. It's time to change.

McCain: Change for change sake is not what the country needs. America wants a change in Washington. An end to the gridlock and political nonsense. Now Senator Obama, you've attacked me for being President Bush, I'm not President Bush. If you wanted to run against President Bush you should have run four years ago. I realizes Republicans have made mistakes, I am not offering a continuation of the Bush policies. I want to turn the page and lead America to a new place.

Obama: You can say your not President Bush all the time, John, but that doesn't change the fact you support President Bush's policies and are looking to continue the same kind of broken politics that the American people are tired of.

McCain-Obama in Dead Heat!
Gallup Tracking Poll:
(D) Obama: 48%
(R) McCain: 48%

McCain on the Stump
"I owe this country, a lot more than she owes me, which I why I'm running for President. I'm running for the single mom struggling to get by, I'm running for the small business owner, looking to put his children through college, I'm running for anyone who wants a part of the American Dream. I'm fighting to keep the dream alive and if you work with me, if you help me my friends we can get it done and I won't let you down."

Hillary Speaks for Obama
"No way! No how! No McCain! America needs Barack Obama and Joe Biden in the White House. America has had eight years of Republican rule on the White House and I say no more. No more to wars, no more to tax cuts for the millionaires and billionaires, no more to a right-sided Supreme Court and no more to Republican Presidents!"

Electoral Map: Tight Race
McCain: 254 (48%)
Obama: 253 (48%)
Tossup: 31

Survey Questions:

Who would be best to handle the economy?
McCain: 47%
Obama: 47%

Who would be best to handle foreign policy?
McCain: 49%
Obama: 45%

Who is responsible for the economic crisis?
Republicans: 40%
Democrats: 26%
Both Parties: 34%

Do you approve of the job President Bush is doing?
Approve: 36%
Disapprove: 54%
Undecided: 10%

Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Senator Barack Obama?
Favorable: 49%
Unfavorable: 40%
Undecided: 11%

Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Senator John McCain?
Favorable: 49%
Unfavorable: 42%
Undecided:  9%

If the election were held tomorrow whom would you vote for? Senator Obama or Senator McCain?
McCain: 48%
Obama: 48%
Undecided: 4%

Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 09:19:52 PM »

Did the economy not collapse in this TL?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 10:14:57 PM »

Did the economy not collapse in this TL?
It's not as severe, as in RL.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 10:06:38 AM »

People seem to forget McCain has a staunch conservative voting record.

Just like IRL.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 09:09:36 PM »

The Final Days

The remaining debates between Senator Obama and McCain proved inconsequential. Both candidates failed to make a mistake or any major gaffe. They spent the final weeks of the campaign laying out their visions for the country and attacking each other. McCain tried to take the high road, focusing on uniting the country and positioning himself as the true candidate of change. "I have experience. I am tested. I can bring the change America wants and needs." Polls continued to show a tightening race and some pundits predicted a repeat of 2000.

"We could see a popular vote, electoral vote split," -- Nate Silver.

Gallup Poll:
(R) John McCain: 48.7%
(D) Barack OBama: 48.6%

(R) Senator John McCain: 0 (0%)
(D) Senator Barack Obama: 0 (0%)

Indiana: 1%
v John McCain: 54%
Barack Obama: 45%

Kentucky: 1%
John McCain: 58%
Barack Obama: 41%

South Carolina: 1%
John McCain: 55%
Barack Obama: 44%

Vermont: 1%
Barack Obama: 59%
John McCain: 40%

(R) Senator John McCain: 27 (56.5%)
(D) Senator Barack Obama: (42.5%)
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 11:11:43 AM »

(D) Senator Barack Obama: 71 (49.4%)
(R) Senator John McCain: 71 (48.7%)

By eight-thirty none of the key battleground states had been called, essentially putting the two candidates in dead heat. Obama held narrow leads in Pennsylvania and Connecticut, while McCain barely held onto key states like Virginia, Ohio and Florida (all which had been won by President Bush in 2004). Both campaigns were prepared for a long and drawn out election night. Throughout the night they traded back and forth with leads in the popular and electoral vote. The minute it look like one would pull ahead, another state would be called and they'd switch.

For viewers and pundits this horse race was pure gold, for the campaigns it was a headache that wouldn't end.

"History is against us, but we've got the energy." -- John McCain

"Going to be close, no matter if we pull this thing out." -- Barack Obama

9:39 PM EST
(R) Senator John McCain: 130 (49.5%)
(D) Senator Barack Obama: 112 (49.0%)

Ohio: Too Close to Call
McCain: 49.5%
Obama: 49.1%

Florida: Too Close to Call
McCain: 49.3%
Obama: 49.2%

Pennsylvania: Too Close to Call
Obama: 49.5%
McCain: 49.3%

Some momentum shifted to the McCain campaign when the state of New Hampshire went for the Maverick. McCain first won it eight years earlier, beating then Governor Bush in the primary. McCain then took it again in the 08 primary, now winning it in the general election cemented all his efforts and desires to become President. "New Hampshire has been good to this old solider, I owe them a lot." -- McCain on Election Night 2008. Connecticut, while narrowly would go for Obama, as would the battleground state of Michigan.

10:47 PM EST
(R) Senator John McCain: 170 (49.4%)
Senator Barack Obama: 162 (49.1%)

Virginia: 95% Reported
Obama: 49.57%
McCain: 49.51%

As the night wore on the McCain campaign could declare victories in Ohio and Missouri, leaving only a few remaining states. Obama would eventually be declared the winner in Virginia, a complete shock and upset to the McCain campaign. The narrowness of Obama's win immediately setup red flags and Republicans planned to contest Obama's victory in the state.

Virginia:
√ Obama: 49.58%
McCain: 49.51%

The win in Virginia increased Obama's electoral vote to 245 and he closed in on McCain in the popular vote. For McCain the loss of Virginia seemed to close his chances of taking the Presidency. He needed to hold onto Florida and take Pennsylvania back from the Democrats, which if won by Obama would elect him President. A take back of Virginia was necessary, but the Networks remained firm in their decision to call the state for Obama and even McCain's internal numbers put the Democrat slightly ahead. A recount would be the only way to solve the matter, but McCain, weary of the division brought on by Florida seemed reluctant to make such a move. "I won't put the country through that hell, if I'm going to win I want to really win this thing." -- McCain after Virginia was called for Obama.

12:53 PM EST
(D) Senator Barack Obama: 252 (49.3%)
(R) Senator John McCain: 221 (49.4%)

Well after 1 AM on the east coast only a couple hundred thousand votes separated McCain and Obama. The Illinois Senator would eventually, albeit narrowly take Colorado (49.7% - 49.5%), signaling another blow to the McCain campaign. By 1:59 PM Obama had 261 electoral votes to McCain's 224 and Republicans began nashing their teeth. The networks finally called Florida for McCain, but it did little to lift their spirits.

(D) Senator Barack Obama: 261 (49.4%)
(R) Senator John McCain: 251 (49.4%)

Two states hung in the balance: Pennsylvania and Nevada. The former going for Kerry and every Democrat before him, post 1988 and Nevada a state that went for Bush in 2000 and 2004, but for Clinton in 1992 and 1996. A win for Obama or McCain in Pennsylvania would deliver either of them the election. Obama held a narrow lead throughout the night, but McCain managed to chip away at until they were practically even, with a slight McCain edge. Nevada remained competitive throughout the evening and leaned Obama.

If McCain was declared the winner in Pennsylvania, Democrats, angered by the results in Florida eight years earlier were not going to sit quietly and prepared to take legal action in the state.

Pennsylvania: 1,035 Vote Difference
McCain: 3,201,000 (50.00%)
Obama: 3,199,965 (49.99%)

Nevada: 5,939 Vote Difference
Obama: 518,766 (50.28%)
McCain: 512,827 (49.71%)
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 08:10:53 AM »

(D) Senator Barack Obama: 261 (49.4%)
(R) Senator John McCain: 251 (49.4%)

BREAKING NEWS

Pennsylvania:
√McCain: 50.00%
Obama: 49.99%

McCain Wins Pennsylvania, Projected for the Presidency
Obama Yet to Concede Race: PA Results Still in Question

Electoral Map: 2:39 AM EST
√ (R) Senator John McCain: 272 (49.5%)
(D) Senator Barack Obama: 266 (49.4%)

President McCain!?

McCain declared victory at 3 AM, thanking his supporters, and pledging to unite America. "My friends we have reached the end of a long campaign. It has been long and hard at times, but now is the time for us as Americans to put aside our partisan hats and come together for the future of this great nation. I congratulate Senator Obama on all he has accomplished and I look forward to working with him for the betterment of America. He is an honorable and decent man and deserves our highest praise and admiration. America is at a crossroads, our economy is shaken and our confidence dipping, I want to restore America and in my Administration we will not just seek the Republican or Democratic answer, but the right answer for our country..."

Obama Campaign Requests Recount in Pennsylvania
McCain: 50.00% Obama: 49.99%

"We've come off the closest election since 1960 and the results in Pennsylvania are so narrow that we believe there is a very strong chance, if not probability that when the votes are recounted Pennsylvania will be in the Democratic column and Barack Obama will be the 44th President of the United States of America."

RECOUNT IN PENNSYLVANIA: NOVEMBER 17th, 2008

Nearly two weeks after the Presidential Election the recount began in the state of Pennsylvania. As a precaution the McCain campaign filed a recount in the state of Virginia (49.58% - 49.51%). Most pundits believed if any state were to flip it would be Pennsylvania before Virginia. The Democratic trend of the Keystone State made Democrats cautiously optimistic, while Republicans had put in a strong effort in the state, McCain held a total of 53 times over the course of the campaign, the second most visited state for McCain after Ohio.

The Virginia recount still certified Obama the winner in the state, though by a closer margin of 49.55 percent to 49.53 percent. All Democrats held their collective breaths as the results were tallied.

Pennsylvania:
√ John McCain: 49.9901%

Barack Obama: 49.9900%

McCain certified winner in Pennsylvania Officially President-Elect
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 10:11:57 AM »

This is an interesting look at how we could have gotten different results relatively recently.

Looking forward to the arguments among the Democrats, and the far right's response to a President McCain.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 10:26:02 PM »

For all the yapping of the movement conservatives, there were two (2) fundamental truths to the 2008 Presidential Campaign.  One is that EVERY poll CLEARLY showed John McCain as the STRONGEST GOP candidate against either Hillary or Obama.  The other is that Joe Lieberman was the STRONGEST possible candidate for VP that McCain could have selected; he alone could have expanded the map for McCain. 

If you are really a conservative, I can't understand why you would not be enthusiastic about John McCain beating Barack Obama.  Lieberman would have been VICE President; he would not likely have gotten the GOP nomination for President even if McCain died and he succeeded him.  Furthermore, if Lieberman had become the GOP VP nominee, he likely would have formally switched to the Republicans and would have given the GOP their Senate majority back.  THAT would have been a shot in the arm for the GOP at the time they most needed it.

If McCain was either unaware of, or in denial of the unpreparedness of Sarah Palin, that's a reflection on his decision-making skills.  And the voters took it that way.  McCain didn't have to lose.  McCain-Lieberman would have been a winner.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies