MW: Child Allowance Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:40:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MW: Child Allowance Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MW: Child Allowance Act (Passed)  (Read 3296 times)
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2014, 04:44:29 PM »
« edited: June 26, 2014, 06:10:28 PM by Arturo Belano »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Governor windjammer
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 04:49:28 PM »

The government is giving out child allowances? This is ridiculous.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 05:53:29 PM »

The government is giving out child allowances? This is ridiculous.
All of us are under the age of 21, so this should actually be able to pass fairly easily. Tongue

I like this idea, but requiring a legal person (assuming a parent or guardian) for those 18-21 seems odd since people 18 and over are young adults/aren't minors.

I propose an amendment for the bill:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I also think we should make sure only young people without jobs get an allowance because we really have a high enough minimum wage that young people with jobs wouldn't need the government money.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 08:12:35 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2014, 09:01:02 PM by IDS Legislator Maxwell »

How much does this cost? I can't imagine giving every single child in the Midwest $100 a month is cheap? Wouldn't that money be better spent on education? infrastructure? science? ect?

I hope the members of this body vote against this bill.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 11:09:59 AM »

How much does this cost? I can't imagine giving every single child in the Midwest $100 a month is cheap? Wouldn't that money be better spent on education? infrastructure? science? ect?

I didn't know you were so anti children.
Child allowance is something that exists in France for instance.

And to answer to your question, it would cost only  4.5B for the rest of the year. The Midwest would still have a surplus. And something like 7B for a full year.

If you don't trust me, I will try to find the calculs I have made.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 11:38:57 AM »

Oh, and Adam, I really don't know, are you sure your amendment is a good idea?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 12:52:10 PM »

And to answer to your question, it would cost only  4.5B for the rest of the year. The Midwest would still have a surplus. And something like 7B for a full year.

I'm not anti-children, I'm anti-ridicolous policies where the money could be spent better elsewhere.

I never received an allowance that big, nor do I think it would've been healthy for me or anyone else. Allowances based on chores taught me more than just receiving money ever did.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 01:26:49 PM »

I'm not anti-children, I'm anti-ridicolous policies where the money could be spent better elsewhere.

I never received an allowance that big, nor do I think it would've been healthy for me or anyone else. Allowances based on chores taught me more than just receiving money ever did.

This isn't a ridiculous spending. It would help parents to raise their child. I seriously don't understand your extreme opposition because you have always seemed to be at least pro education.

These kind of child allowance helped my parents a lot, because you know, having a child is a cost! That's why I don't believe this is an unnecessary spending!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 01:28:50 PM »

This isn't a ridiculous spending. It would help parents to raise their child. I seriously don't understand your extreme opposition because you have always seemed to be at least pro education.

These kind of child allowance helped my parents a lot, because you know, having a child is a cost! That's why I don't believe this is an unnecessary spending!

I'm pro-education. This isn't education.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 01:31:11 PM »

I'm pro-education. This isn't education.

This is education. Parents educate their children!
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 11:13:53 PM »

There's no way I can support this.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 11:17:48 PM »

Being able to govern means being able to allocate resources efficiently and effectively, and this proposal would not be a good use of money, plain and simple.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 03:10:45 AM »

Being able to govern means being able to allocate resources efficiently and effectively, and this proposal would not be a good use of money, plain and simple.

Dixit Maxwell, who wanted the Midwest to cut his spending whereas there was a 40B Midwest budget surplus.

I don't understand the backlash with that. This spending is widely popular in France.  Children are a cost, and this spending would help parents financially.

Spamage, why are you so opposed to that? I want to understand.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 03:36:18 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_benefit

Basically all (or most of them) European countries have this child benefit.

And I think that the UK for instance is well known for its developed welfare state.

I seriously don't understand the backlash with that.

This is pro family!
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 07:45:22 AM »

it goes to the parents not the children (until the child is 18). learn to read.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 07:50:15 AM »

Okay... I still think its a bad idea Roll Eyes
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 10:28:04 AM »

So in essence the Government is giving parents money and should they choose to give it to their children, they can do so. You do realize many children won't even see the money.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 10:32:24 AM »

So in essence the Government is giving parents money and should they choose to give it to their children, they can do so. You do realize many children won't even see the money.
Spamage, this is helping parents to raise their kids. Kids are a cost, and this bill helps parents financially.

I don't understand the problem.. This is even a social conservative measure to help to people to found a family?

Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 10:35:48 AM »

Spamage, this is helping parents to raise their kids. Kids are a cost, and this bill helps parents financially.

I don't understand the problem.. This is even a social conservative measure to help to people to found a family?

I just don't see a need to spend this money. If you were going to truly assist parents with raising children the amount would be much higher, but if the amount gets much higher it seems as though you're paying people to have kids. I just think we're fine without the extra spending right now.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 10:38:57 AM »

I just don't see a need to spend this money. If you were going to truly assist parents with raising children the amount would be much higher, but if the amount gets much higher it seems as though you're paying people to have kids. I just think we're fine without the extra spending right now.

So you would support a bill with a much higher amount? I don't understand...
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 10:40:18 AM »

No, there's no way I can support this bill. I was just pointing out the problem I see in it that you ought to raise the amount, but you can't.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 10:45:49 AM »

No, there's no way I can support this bill. I was just pointing out the problem I see in it that you ought to raise the amount, but you can't.

Spamage, seriously, if you believe that just by getting 100 dollars a month someone would like to have a kid...
I'm not buying them to have a kid, I'm helping people who want to have/have a kid.

Oh, and with this bill, the budget would still be balanced...
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 01:47:19 PM »

We could actually conserve money if we only give the money to those who need it (so any family who makes under $100K). Rich kids really don't need it anyways since they get spoiled enough as is. It might be considered "ridiculous" spending, but poverty and unemployment is still a problem and this is just a reimbursement for families to say we, the government, are still there for them.

I live in the U.S. and I conserve a lot of money with a minimum wage job and still would have to rely on loans if I went away to college. If the U.S. implemented this policy (basically, returning the tax dollars to us in a phenomenal way), it would still teach us how to be responsible with money.

Maybe if we regulate what the parents/guardians and those 18-21 can and can't do with the money though? For example, they shouldn't be allowed to waste government money on liquor, smokes, marijuana, gambling etc., but they can use it towards education, entertainment - (movies, video games, sports etc.), or towards bills if the family is struggling financially or maybe average things like food and clothes.

And I, of course, stand by the original bill or the bill as amended (or a bill that could be further amended). When you're below 18, your parents still legally own you and therefore should get possession of the money, but 18-21 year olds are not only more independent, they're legally independent and most will be going away to college, so it only makes sense to give it to them from that point on.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 02:35:19 PM »

How about cutting lower income tax rates? That would have the exact same effect as this bill, more money in the pockets of families.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 03:52:10 PM »

How about cutting lower income tax rates? That would have the exact same effect as this bill, more money in the pockets of families.
I would support cutting lower income tax rates, obviously.

But I still my bill wouldn't have the same effects than this current bill.

Of course, your proposal would have positive effects. (and I would sign that Tongue)
Bbut my bill as well Tongue.

This would improve the current income tax system.

I think we can all agree that people who have more children should pay less taxe than people who have the same income but less children, right?

And adding revenues for having kids, or cutting tax for people who has more children, that would have the same results, right?

So I believe that this bill would improve the current income tax system in the system, by taking into account the fact that people don't have the same numbers of children, something that the current Midwest income tax doesn't take into account.

Are you still strongly opposing this bill Maxwell? Tongue

And no way you can change your mind Spamage, I'm willing to make compromise, obviously Smiley.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies