Chaos is the word used for Freedom that someone doesn't like. True or False?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:19:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Chaos is the word used for Freedom that someone doesn't like. True or False?
True

False

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Chaos is the word used for Freedom that someone doesn't like. True or False?  (Read 1701 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2014, 09:03:12 PM »
« edited: June 10, 2014, 09:08:02 PM by Starwatcher »

Hypothesis:
Chaos=Freedom.
When people like the chaos, they usually call it freedom.
When people dislike the freedom, they usually call it chaos.
One person's chaos is another person's freedom, and vice-versa.

Examples: If you like people being able to use drugs legally, it's freedom. If you dislike it, it's chaos. If you like people being able to marry someone of their own sex, it's freedom. If you dislike it, it's chaos. It's not always binary or ideological, there are some examples that over 99% would regard that freedom as bad, like the freedom to kill others (ex: look at all that chaos in Somalia). But still, freedom is chaos, and chaos is freedom.

My Opinion on it: These words shouldn't have any inherent value in them, but they do. Saying something will "lead to chaos" shouldn't be a serious point, since it's the same thing as saying it will "lead to freedom," but they would probably never use that word if they're against it. Similarly, saying we're "for freedom" or "bringing freedom" shouldn't be a serious point, since it's the same as saying we're "for chaos" or "bringing chaos." It's ok to use the words, but you should be careful and not assume freedom is positive and chaos is negative.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 04:50:57 AM »

It could as easily be said that one's "freedom" is the chaos he doesn't mind because it doesn't negatively affect them.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 08:07:36 AM »

True, but "freedom" is the word used for anarchy that libertarians like.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 01:36:11 PM »

For the people voting false... why?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 02:14:57 PM »

In some cases, I would agree. But, the term "chaos" is also used to mean disorganization or disorder. There are plenty of example of spontaneous (free) organization/order, and there are also plenty of cases where attempts to forcibly bring about "order" lead to chaos in practice.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 08:12:32 PM »

In some cases, I would agree. But, the term "chaos" is also used to mean disorganization or disorder. There are plenty of example of spontaneous (free) organization/order, and there are also plenty of cases where attempts to forcibly bring about "order" lead to chaos in practice.
GaussLaw
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 09:09:34 PM »

When libertarians start to support repealing laws against murder and bank robbery, I would vote yes.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 09:09:36 AM »

But isn't disorder/disorganization just freedom that people don't like?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 02:39:04 PM »

Disorder and disorganization that are strong enough to impede the ability of people to do what they like is not what I would call "freedom".
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 11:26:42 PM »

No. It's completely possible for regulated systems to be disorganized and chaotic.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies