Republican Congressional Delegation now 100% Christian
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:46:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republican Congressional Delegation now 100% Christian
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Republican Congressional Delegation now 100% Christian  (Read 6152 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 10:43:18 PM »

The ultimate aim of the Republican Party is to Christianize the entire nation, by force if necessary. I can guarantee you there will come a day when atheists and religious minorities have guns trained on them by the followers of the Lamb of God.
I can guarantee you that you are living in a fantasy world. Ironically, your own ideology has been the most successful implementer of this policy.

Seriously.  Why is a self-proclaimed fascist, of all people, lecturing people on the use of force?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2014, 11:28:52 PM »

Then there must not have been a single Christian in Europe for the duration of the Crusades.

Quite a few people in Europe were quite skeptical of the (radically new in the 11th century) idea of an armed pilgrimage as a penance, and the Church held fast to its doctrine opposing conversion at swordpoint in most encounters with Muslims and Jews in the Crusades (and, usually, after initial slaughter, they the Crusader states in the Levant didn't make any attempt to convert local Jews or Muslims at all, though they did try to bring local Christians into communion with Rome).  Exceptions of course include some elements in the Baltic Crusades (against pagans who were neither Jewish nor Muslim), and of course the Albigensian Crusade (except the victim in this case were heretical schismatic Christians, not pagans, so bringing them "back into the fold" was considered far more acceptable).

Been reading Jonathan Riley-Smith's Crusades: A History.  Fascinating stuff, just got through the chapter administration in the Crusader Levant, discussing how the Crusader states of the Levant tended to have a confessional legal structure where Muslims and Jews were tried under their own laws, and how they tended to simply reverse the already-established jizya to apply to Muslims and Jews rather than Jews and Christians.  Highly recommended.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 01:58:04 AM »

I'm sure David Duke was so happy Cantor lost...
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2014, 03:06:15 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2014, 03:08:17 AM by blagohair.com »

You know how some countries have Islamist parties?  Well the Republicans are the Christian version of those parties.

The Democrats look more and more like America, the Republicans look more and more stuck in 1950.

It's an embarrassment that a far-right, extremist party like the GOP still has so much support.
Heimdal
HenryH

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2014, 06:17:34 AM »

You know how some countries have Islamist parties?  Well the Republicans are the Christian version of those parties.

The Democrats look more and more like America, the Republicans look more and more stuck in 1950.

It's an embarrassment that a far-right, extremist party like the GOP still has so much support.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2014, 02:20:07 PM »

Of course, this may not be applicable for the New England churches, where I get the impression that things are (at least nominally) more Christian. There are also Christian Unitarians and Universalists (in the traditional sense of those terms), some of whom work from within the UU hierarchy. I believe Ernest goes to such a church.

Yes and no.  I consider myself a Christian Universalist and I go to a UU church that historically was a Unitarian church and that still retains a healthy respect for Christians, but by no means are Christians a majority of the congregants there.  Still, considering that there are some UU churches that are not particularly friendly to Christians (not too surprising since quite a few UU members are ex-Christians who hold some resentment to their former church) I would say the one I go to is fairly welcoming to Christians.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2014, 03:38:13 PM »

Of course, this may not be applicable for the New England churches, where I get the impression that things are (at least nominally) more Christian. There are also Christian Unitarians and Universalists (in the traditional sense of those terms), some of whom work from within the UU hierarchy. I believe Ernest goes to such a church.

Yes and no.  I consider myself a Christian Universalist and I go to a UU church that historically was a Unitarian church and that still retains a healthy respect for Christians, but by no means are Christians a majority of the congregants there.  Still, considering that there are some UU churches that are not particularly friendly to Christians (not too surprising since quite a few UU members are ex-Christians who hold some resentment to their former church) I would say the one I go to is fairly welcoming to Christians.

Oh, really? Cool beans. Smiley
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 05:46:51 PM »

Democrats do have one Buddhist in the Senate (Mazie Hirono).  And the Republican that won California's blanket primary for governor with Moonbeam is a Hindu.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 05:55:40 PM »

Then there must not have been a single Christian in Europe for the duration of the Crusades.

I warn you again: even attempting to 'merely' impose Christianity by making life unpleasant for the rest of us will not end well for you. I'd advise against it.

muh crusades lol
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 06:46:09 PM »

What about the Mammon-worshipers in all but name? 
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2014, 09:13:30 PM »

The ultimate aim of the Republican Party is to Christianize the entire nation, by force if necessary. I can guarantee you there will come a day when atheists and religious minorities have guns trained on them by the followers of the Lamb of God.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2014, 09:21:29 PM »

You know how some countries have Islamist parties?  Well the Republicans are the Christian version of those parties.

That certainly does resemble a group of Republicans (except for the two Jews, of course.)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2014, 10:42:54 PM »

You know how some countries have Islamist parties?  Well the Republicans are the Christian version of those parties.

That certainly does resemble a group of Republicans (except for the two Jews, of course.)

And the one black guy
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2014, 11:01:05 PM »

And the one black guy
Mr. Black, father of Token Black...South Park is one hell of a show.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2014, 11:03:06 PM »

And the one black guy
Mr. Black, father of Token Black...South Park is one hell of a show.
It is libertarian propaganda of the best kind.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2014, 06:24:49 AM »

In all fairness the headline is incorrect as Cantor's still in Congress. In January 2015 it might be true but theoretically another non-Christian Republican could be elected this year. I don't know of any candidates running though at least viable ones so perhaps it's an almost certainty ut will be the case but it's not now.

But I'd still count the Mormons as non-Christians anyway.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2014, 11:21:52 AM »

It looks like one of the potential R candidates in NY-1 is Jewish.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2014, 02:43:21 PM »

If Mormonism is Christianity, North Korea is a democracy.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2014, 03:46:01 PM »

Its Christology is basically Arian. How is that less any Christian than, say, Jehovah's Witnesses or Oneness Pentecostalism?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2014, 03:32:32 PM »

(Re: topic) Hopefully the Dems could use this to their advantage...

It would be interesting to see the white Protestant and white Catholic numbers. I bet there would be more white Catholic Dems than white Protestant Dems.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2014, 03:37:25 PM »

Its Christology is basically Arian. How is that less any Christian than, say, Jehovah's Witnesses or Oneness Pentecostalism?

Jehovah's Witnesses are not Christian, either.  I've never heard of Oneness Pentecostalism, but I would assume they are not, either.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2014, 06:07:01 PM »

Not really surprising. The republican party is a christian party. It was founded as such, too.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2014, 06:55:05 PM »

Not really surprising. The republican party is a christian party. It was founded as such, too.

Poor Libertarians though. Tongue
They're obviously in the wrong party.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2014, 07:15:32 PM »

But I'd still count the Mormons as non-Christians anyway.

Regardless of what you think of them (not that I disagree),  Mainline v Catholic v Evangelical is still the most relevant divider since that covers a large majority of Congress.

bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2014, 09:17:34 PM »

Jehovah's Witnesses are not Christian, either.  I've never heard of Oneness Pentecostalism, but I would assume they are not, either.

How are Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses not Christian?  Is it just because they created their doctrines and made up their beliefs more recently than other Christian denominations?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies