Republican Congressional Delegation now 100% Christian
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:48:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republican Congressional Delegation now 100% Christian
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Republican Congressional Delegation now 100% Christian  (Read 6143 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2014, 09:45:33 PM »

If Mormonism is Christianity, North Korea is a democracy.

Its Christology is basically Arian. How is that less any Christian than, say, Jehovah's Witnesses or Oneness Pentecostalism?

Jehovah's Witnesses are not Christian, either.  I've never heard of Oneness Pentecostalism, but I would assume they are not, either.

How are Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses not Christian?  Is it just because they created their doctrines and made up their beliefs more recently than other Christian denominations?

They have a very different understanding of who Jesus is than the rest of the Christian denominations. So different that it is really questionable whether they can be considered Christian, as the divinity of Christ is one iof the really big main points of Christianity.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2014, 09:47:30 PM »

Its Christology is basically Arian. How is that less any Christian than, say, Jehovah's Witnesses or Oneness Pentecostalism?

Jehovah's Witnesses are not Christian, either.  I've never heard of Oneness Pentecostalism, but I would assume they are not, either.

How are Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses not Christian?  Is it just because they created their doctrines and made up their beliefs more recently than other Christian denominations?

I can't speak for the JW's, but the Mormon's theology, especially their Christology is different enough from mainstream Christianity to consider them a fourth Abrahamic religion.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2014, 10:14:38 PM »

They have a very different understanding of who Jesus is than the rest of the Christian denominations. So different that it is really questionable whether they can be considered Christian, as the divinity of Christ is one iof the really big main points of Christianity.

Who died and made you the boss of Christianity?  I don't think it's up to you to decide who qualifies as a Christian and when something is different enough to become a separate religion.  Mormons and JWs believe in the divinity of Jesus and the Christian scriptures.  That seems like enough.  And, it's just rude to tell Mormons and JWs what religion they are.  Let them decide what religion they are for themselves.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2014, 11:00:39 PM »

Jehovah's Witnesses are not Christian, either.  I've never heard of Oneness Pentecostalism, but I would assume they are not, either.

How are Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses not Christian?  Is it just because they created their doctrines and made up their beliefs more recently than other Christian denominations?

Who died and made you the boss of Christianity?  I don't think it's up to you to decide who qualifies as a Christian and when something is different enough to become a separate religion.  Mormons and JWs believe in the divinity of Jesus and the Christian scriptures.  That seems like enough.  And, it's just rude to tell Mormons and JWs what religion they are.  Let them decide what religion they are for themselves.

Mormons and Jehovas Witnesses both say they are utterly Christians. So who could be the rude one here? I completely hate all forms of religion, and my British-Dutch-Egyptian Jehovas Witness friend is the most obnoxious ever when it comes to visual propaganda and straight out lying, though I would never ever claim I've ever met a more deeply Christian person than him, cause he literally lives and breathes through his Bible, despite all of his constant gay sins. Or perhaps because of them.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2014, 12:32:04 PM »

Who died and made you the boss of Christianity?  I don't think it's up to you to decide who qualifies as a Christian and when something is different enough to become a separate religion.  Mormons and JWs believe in the divinity of Jesus and the Christian scriptures.  That seems like enough.  And, it's just rude to tell Mormons and JWs what religion they are.  Let them decide what religion they are for themselves.

Nobody made me the boss of Christianity and I didn't decide who qualifies as a Christian and when something is different enough to become a separate religion. I don't have an opinion on this and think it's all semantic. I'm just explaining why people think they aren't Christians.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2014, 02:14:53 PM »

"I've never heard of these people or their beliefs, so I'll assume they're not Christian!" Roll Eyes
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2014, 08:54:32 PM »

So the Jews were in the wrong for telling Christians to get out of their synagogues because they weren't really sons of Abraham?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2014, 09:26:19 PM »

So the Jews were in the wrong for telling Christians to get out of their synagogues because they weren't really sons of Abraham?

I don't know what you're referring to.  There's definitely a difference between allowing someone to be a member of your church and allowing them to define what they call their own church. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2014, 11:28:07 PM »

I believe that Christianity and Islam aren't religions at all, but sects of Judaism.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2014, 04:07:10 AM »

It's a bit bogus to believe that JWs are not Christians. I have the privilege of actually being able to speak on the matter since I was raised (rather loosely) as a JW for many years. The main differences in between what Jehovah's Witnesses believe and what mainline protestants and Catholics believe are as follows:

• The original meaning of "Hell" is not fire and brimstone (think "hades", "tartarosas", "geenna"). When you die, you are dead, and your "hell" is missing out on eternal life.
  • Jesus was not born on Christmas and JWs do not celebrate Christmas, Easter, birthdays or other holidays (Passover is celebrated, but mainstream holidays are considered to be solely of Pagan origin). "Jesus never said to honor his birth, but remember his death".
  • In addition to those who have died that go to "hell", virtually everyone else is dead as of right now. Armageddon is when everyone who lived righteously will be raised from the dead; remember the three flocks? There were two righteous ones: the one that consisted of 144,000 that inherit the "new heaven", and the rest who inherit the "new earth". This is where JWs start getting kinda weird like Mormons; the 144,000 are the only ones who go directly to Heaven, and there are certain "Elders" in the sect who are "anointed" and considered to be among the 144,000. When I was in this religion, I believe there were considered to be only 7 of these people alive on Earth at the time.
  • Blood transfusions are not allowed. Any other modern medicine is fine, though.
  • Jesus' Second Coming actually occurred in 1914 and his reign in Heaven has already begun.

This is more or less the main differences as far as the actual Biblical doctrine is interpreted. However, those who become deeply embedded within JW culture will find a whole slew of strict social morals that are enforced (you do not associate casually with people of other faiths, excommunication can occur and is serious stuff, you do not run for office or engage in such worldly endeavors, if you get caught committing a crime then you go through a lot of formal chastising by the congregation, etc).

And then here are some "flavors" of what JWs believe that are shared or not shared by various other Christian denominations:

• God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are separate entities
  • Reverence and belief in God is key to salvation; acknowledgement of Jesus' sacrifice is secondary
  • Satan has influence over all worldly affairs, not just those who "give into him". This is why JWs shun being involved with politics
  • Jesus did not die on a cross, but rather a stake, which is historically more fitting
  • Jesus was born in late September or early October, based on his death occurring in Nisan/that he was 33.5 years old when he died.
  • Jesus was God's first creation
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2014, 10:38:58 AM »

I believe that Christianity and Islam aren't religions at all, but sects of Judaism.

All three are monotheistic Abrahamic religions, but the belief systems of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are too different to make the assumption that Christianity and Islam are not religions in themselves. If this helps, here are two links showing the many differences between the three beliefs.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2014, 04:07:33 PM »

And here's one detailing the differences between Mormonism and mainstream Christianity.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2014, 07:35:05 PM »

I believe that Christianity and Islam and Judaism aren't religions at all, but labels that people give themselves.  Christianity, for example, is a label pertaining to at least a hundred religions, which are as different from one another as they are from any other religion.  Similar statements can be made about Islam and, to a lesser degree, about Judaism as well.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies