NE1: Taking Things Into Our Own Hands Act (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:22:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1: Taking Things Into Our Own Hands Act (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE1: Taking Things Into Our Own Hands Act (Tabled)  (Read 1341 times)
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 11, 2014, 06:05:49 PM »
« edited: June 19, 2014, 09:13:38 PM by Speaker Deus »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Representative Cynic

Debate on this bill will last for 72 hours, or until 7:05 PM on Saturday June 14, unless modified or extended. The sponsor is encouraged to advocate on behalf of this proposed legislation.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 09:32:40 PM »

This idea I like. It has my complete support.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 12:43:41 PM »

The basic idea of this legislation is pretty self-explanatory. My reasons are two-fold. The GM does not often write news stories for specific regions and so the NE (and the others as well) are basically bereft of news stories to keep us afloat while the GM has to concentrate on national headlines.

The news agent can work in tandem with the GM and also ease some of his burdens as well by taking regional news into our own hands. This is something that's been necessary for a very long time and something we should finally do.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 07:45:50 PM »

I'm skeptical.

Obviously this is a thoughtful bill. However, I'm dubious as to whether this would actually be effective - to me, it smacks of the same kind of feel-good intentions that eventually get repealed.

This isn't unique to the Northeast, or even regions themselves. For instance, in what seems like eons ago, the Purple State and Marokai campaigned on an unprecedented platform of game reform, and passed the Question Time Made Interesting Act. I'm pretty sure no administration after Purple State's adhered to it (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and it was culled by Bore's mass-repeal.

I might not necessarily veto this if the Assembly feels that strongly about it, but I'm not convinced that this will be particularly fruitful.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 08:26:44 PM »

Well hell, then what's the point? Honestly, I might as well just resign. How are we supposed to do anything without any news to know what the hell's going on and what we're supposed to do?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 01:40:36 PM »

Well hell, then what's the point? Honestly, I might as well just resign. How are we supposed to do anything without any news to know what the hell's going on and what we're supposed to do?

Ok but if we pass this is anyone actually interested in doing the job or will it go unfilled? That's what I would like to know.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 02:31:23 PM »

Ok but if we pass this is anyone actually interested in doing the job or will it go unfilled? That's what I would like to know.

I'll quit and do it if it comes to that.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 07:51:56 PM »

I'm not trying to discourage you, Doc. These ideas just need to stand up to a high level of scrutiny and skepticism, if we're going to implement big changes.

There's something to be said for GM assistants getting involved, but I'm not sure that this is the best way of going about it. What sort of stories did you have in mind that we're supposed to react to?

Regardless of the fate of this idea, I'm going to propose some amendments:

I'm still bearish about the proposal itself, but I like this text better in the event that it passes. Your thoughts?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 10:22:50 PM »

That's fine.

I'm honestly just looking for a way to kick start some work. It could be anything. Scandal? Polling? Interviews? Rumor mill? Opinion? Bill analysis? Anything like that. Things already supposed to be handled by the GM. Just on a regional level. Is it really such a big change to create NE dedicated service to that end since the regions hardly ever get anything specific?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 09:27:05 PM »

Please clarify (in the legislation) the relationship of this office to that of the Game Moderator.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 09:32:13 PM »

motion to extend debate 72 hrs
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 09:39:17 PM »

This is probably a good idea.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 10:53:09 PM »

Motion granted.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 11:02:18 PM »

Please clarify (in the legislation) the relationship of this office to that of the Game Moderator.

Indirect. A specific news agent to handle NE news independent of the GM. However, the GM still is of course in overall control of all news and can override any NE news story if they feel the need to do so, but I'd hope such veto power be used sparingly, only in extreme or undesirable circumstances.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 01:15:49 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2014, 01:41:33 PM by Dallasfan65 »

Another amendment offered:

Cynic, my reasoning for this is basically grounded in my skepticism. I believe if we set an expiration date on this legislation, it can become a trial program and we'll see if this is effective during Talleyrand's (presumable) Governorship.

If it works well then the Assembly can renew it two sessions from now.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 02:27:28 PM »

I'm not enthused about an expiration date, particularly if I'm not in the Assembly to advocate for it.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 05:14:15 PM »

I'm not enthused about an expiration date, particularly if I'm not in the Assembly to advocate for it.

An expiration date would be a good way of gauging the level of success of the program in question. If there's enough interest, then it'll be worthwhile to renew it.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 08:12:32 PM »

That's not my objection to it. What if the news producer is active? Would they then be left in a state of limbo once legislation expired? What if they Assembly simply doesn't feel like it?

I'd support it if there was a rider promising that a renewal would be automatically debated among the assembly when it expired.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 10:21:21 PM »

That's not my objection to it. What if the news producer is active? Would they then be left in a state of limbo once legislation expired? What if they Assembly simply doesn't feel like it?

I'd support it if there was a rider promising that a renewal would be automatically debated among the assembly when it expired.

I don't think the SOAP allows for sponsor-less bills to hit the floor.

If the News Agency is a smashing success, then surely the News Producer would be acutely aware of his own job's expiration date. Shouldn't an active and engaged News Producer know that he'll be out of a job, and perhaps raise a stink about it in his paper?

I doubt that a situation would prevail where this idea works and the Assembly either forgets about it, or stands athwart of its popularity and refuses to renew it. I think it's much more likely that this legislation would be forgotten and clog up the Statute for a year or two before being repealed, much like the legislation I cited.

If you want to make the expiration date further from now, I'm open to such discussion.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 12:49:53 AM »

No. Forget it.

Table it.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 12:54:24 AM »

Why?
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 01:20:28 AM »

I must say I don't see the issue with an expiration date...the Assembly can always legislate to extend the existence of the Agency.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 12:14:46 PM »

If I don't agree to the expiration, are you going to veto the bill outright? If so, then without the confidence of the Governor, I don't see it working anyway. So it might as well be tabled.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 09:13:26 PM »

At the sponsor's request, this bill has been tabled.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies