How is the Republican Party different from the Constitution Party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:16:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How is the Republican Party different from the Constitution Party?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How is the Republican Party different from the Constitution Party?  (Read 1966 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 12, 2014, 01:23:23 AM »

Here's a atlas forum assignment:

1. Other than a non-interventionist foreign policy, which more Republican members are starting to agree with, find the differences between the Republican Party and the Constitution Party.

2. Do you believe that the GOP will adopt that particular difference(s) that you found?

http://www.constitutionparty.com/our-principles/seven-principles/

http://www.constitutionparty.com/our-principles/2012-2016-platform-and-resolutions/
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 04:00:15 PM »

Constitutional Party members strike me as Fair Traders and isolationists, but I don't think I see the GOP moving that way.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 04:07:54 PM »

I honestly can't believe that so many people here on this forum seriously believe the Rick Santorum faction of the GOP is gaining, especially after the Tea Party lost every single Senate primary besides.

I get the feeling that our red avatar friends, especially the OP, watch way too much CNN.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 05:45:09 PM »

Republicans don't believe in theocracy like the Constitution party does.  Even the social/religious conservatives in the GOP are more libertarian than the Constitution party.
Marnetmar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -8.24

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 06:11:24 PM »

CP actually admits they want a theocracy.

Also protectionism, etc etc
Marnetmar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -8.24

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 12:50:50 AM »

That's because it doesn't need to be.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 04:00:18 AM »

After reading the Constitution Party pillars (and some of the other things on their website), I'd say there's some overlap between conservative/libertarian Republicans and the Constitution Party, but the Republican Party covers a lot more ideological ground. The Constitution Party seems more isolationist (e.g they oppose UN and NATO membership, and oppose the war on terror), more in favor of states' rights (e.g. they advocate nullification), and more libertarian (e.g. they want to repeal the Patriot Act). They also apparently favor a moratorium on all immigration to the US, and the elimination of Social Security (and, I'm guessing, Medicare), which is well beyond what almost any Republican politician would advocate.

I imagine that pro-choice and "pro-" same sex marriage politicians wouldn't be able to win a Constitution Party primary for a major office, unlike e.g. Sandoval or Portman (granted, Portman hasn't won since he came out in favor of legalizing same sex marriage).
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 02:08:30 PM »

Don't confuse platform with politics. Constitution Party are true nostalgics who long for our make-believe history of libertarian theocracy (if such a thing can exist). Republicans are neoliberals without a cause, at the moment. They fancy themselves as progressive technocrats, which means they have no real allegiance to the US Constitution, but there are too many dewy-eyed conservative dopes in the Republican Party for them to live up to their fantasies. Again, all roads lead back to Clinton's Third Way.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 02:16:58 PM »

Republicans don't believe in theocracy like the Constitution party does. 

That does seem to be the fundamental difference between the Constitution party and all other parties.

They are also against the PATRIOT act and the "undeclared war with an ill-defined enemy (terrorism)."  This is a big difference between the GOP and the CP.

CountryClassSF

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 11:16:10 PM »

Constitutionalist is more populist and more openly advocating  Judeo-Christian values. Republicans, since maybe around 2006, decided to move very far to the left on cultural issues, and ignore much of their base voters, nominated two RINO types for president, etc.

Many on the left don't understand this and some on the moderate end of the right spectrum don't either, but this is how we see it.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 12:17:51 AM »

Constitution Party appeals to the Christian fundamentalists, conspiracy theorists and racists who think the Republican Party is liberal.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 12:19:29 AM »

I honestly can't believe that so many people here on this forum seriously believe the Rick Santorum faction of the GOP is gaining, especially after the Tea Party lost every single Senate primary besides.

I get the feeling that our red avatar friends, especially the OP, watch way too much CNN.

LOL, the meme of the tea party losing is dead after Eric Cantor lost his primary.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 12:30:22 AM »

I think Orser did a good job describing, but to summarize...

1. More protectionist
2. More serious about "judeo-christian values"
3. Distrust other nations and allies more
4. More serious about cutting/privatizing programs
5. VERY conservative on culture/social issues
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 12:30:18 PM »

LOL, the meme of the tea party losing is dead after Eric Cantor lost his primary.
LOl, idiots who think one race CHANGES EVERYTHING!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 03:03:38 PM »

I suppose you think Senator Cochran is safe?

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 03:07:28 PM »

They basically capitalize on everything the GOP does wrong, and then somehow make things 10 times worse by being protectionist and far more socially conservative. Foreign policy is the only area I can partially agree with them on.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 11:49:36 AM »

The Constitution party essentially believes in theocracy and has very racist and nativist elements.  At least the GOP believes in religious freedom and equal opportunity.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 02:35:53 PM »

I think the TP is slowly dying but I think it's pretty stupid to say it's dying after they took out Eric Cantor.......
Your proving Jfern's and my point.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies