MA: Confirmation of Cassius for Senator (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:22:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Confirmation of Cassius for Senator (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: Confirmation of Cassius for Senator (Debating)  (Read 1225 times)
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2014, 01:08:05 AM »

We will have a question and answer period for at least 48 hours.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 02:28:42 PM »

Just bumping this thread.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 03:08:32 PM »

What are your thoughts on Dukes proposal to create a bicameral legislature? On the Mideast Treaty?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 03:21:22 PM »

What are your thoughts on Dukes proposal to create a bicameral legislature? On the Mideast Treaty?

Well, I'm in favour of, in principle, a bicameral legislature. I believe that there needs to be an upper house in order to provide a check upon the power of the lower. I also believe that a bicameral system would improve activity levels in the game, as there would be more elected positions to go around and there would also be an entirely new dynamic of potential conflict between the lower and upper houses to generate interest. However, the kind of bicameral system being implemented must be given some thought. For instance, I am opposed to regional consolidation (and thus the crux of the Duke plan), and would prefer a system whereby each region elected one Senator, in addition to a House composed of 11 members elected in an at-large vote (possibly in different classes). Also, I'm opposed to efforts to institute a 'list' system, as I believe that would give too much power to parties and would make it harder for outsiders to make a break through.

As to the Mideast Treaty, could you specify which one, as I believe that there have been several.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 03:48:59 PM »

Well, I'm in favour of, in principle, a bicameral legislature. I believe that there needs to be an upper house in order to provide a check upon the power of the lower. I also believe that a bicameral system would improve activity levels in the game, as there would be more elected positions to go around and there would also be an entirely new dynamic of potential conflict between the lower and upper houses to generate interest. However, the kind of bicameral system being implemented must be given some thought. For instance, I am opposed to regional consolidation (and thus the crux of the Duke plan), and would prefer a system whereby each region elected one Senator, in addition to a House composed of 11 members elected in an at-large vote (possibly in different classes). Also, I'm opposed to efforts to institute a 'list' system, as I believe that would give too much power to parties and would make it harder for outsiders to make a break through.

As to the Mideast Treaty, could you specify which one, as I believe that there have been several.

The one most recently done? Personally I favor a one state solution.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 04:04:40 PM »

The one most recently done? Personally I favor a one state solution.

This is, of course, a highly complex issue, and indeed one might say that no ideal solution exists to it. The one state solution strikes me as something of a pipe-dream; people can fantasise about a secular, democratic Israel/Palestine, but how to achieve it, that's the question? There are groups on both sides (although, in my own humble opinion, they are more powerful on the Palestinian side) that wish to do harm to the other, and in one state it might be difficult to stop civil strife. On the other hand, the two-state solution has been attempted and is sputtering along, but, that said, there are still serious problems in that department. A fully independent Palestine remains unfeasible whilst extremist groups continue to have so much pull in the Gaza strip, which remains an outpost for terrorists. At the same time, the border between the West Bank and Israel is messy due to the long standing presence of settlers there. Of course, it may be that the only solution to this problem is for either the Israelis or the Palestinians to leave Israel/Palestine and settle elsewhere. That, again, would be unfeasible, and may require foreign powers to involve themselves to a degree that they have previously been unwilling to do. In short, my attitude to this problem is that we need to support the Israeli government; after all, Israel is a longstanding friend and ally, one with whom we share great social and political links. However, we must also urge it to be cautious, and to not allow itself to become isolated from the international community as a whole. We should take steps to try and prevent the latter from occurring too.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 04:38:59 PM »

No questions. I will vote to confirm.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 11:59:44 AM »

I believe we should have a vote on this now.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »

Do you have any questions for yourself? Tongue
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 03:52:42 PM »

Do you have any questions for yourself? Tongue

No, my conscience is clear Wink, so naturally I'll be voting to confirm.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 07:05:50 PM »

With Spiral's departure to the senate the confirmation vote should be delayed till Governor Riley appoints his replacement.

Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 01:51:17 PM »

It's not really constitutionally neccessary for the Assembly to have a full house when voting upon something, is it?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 06:16:22 PM »

It's not really constitutionally neccessary for the Assembly to have a full house when voting upon something, is it?

No it isn't. The problem at the moment is that there is no Speaker to open the vote. Fortunately, the Constitution only requires the Speaker to open the thread, so the Assembly could vote without one I think.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 11:33:13 AM »

Let's get a vote going.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 12:49:27 PM »

Aye.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 11:44:55 PM »

AYE
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 04:10:51 AM »

I guess this means that I'm a Senator.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 10:03:48 AM »

I guess this means that I'm a Senator.

Yes, Cassius is confirmed by the Assembly by a vote of 2-0.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 06:11:43 PM »

Um... who called the vote?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 10:24:06 PM »

The governor did:

Or at least 100% of the Assembly interpreted that post to mean a vote had commenced, if a tad cryptic.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 04:14:53 PM »

Y'all need to elect a Speaker first. Riley has no control over the Assembly.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies