IDS 1: Sentancing Reform Act of 2014 (Signed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:28:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  IDS 1: Sentancing Reform Act of 2014 (Signed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: IDS 1: Sentancing Reform Act of 2014 (Signed)  (Read 2242 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2014, 03:02:33 AM »
« edited: July 07, 2014, 09:21:23 PM by Speaker Dereich »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Quote from: Restricted
Sponsor: Maxwell
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 09:35:49 AM »

I am against Tough on Crime measures, and this bill repeals that old statute.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 06:04:44 PM »

Here is the measure we are talking about repealing.

If it passed and was signed into law, why is it still referred to as a "bill"?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 07:48:15 PM »

Then-Emperor PiT and the Legislature worked pretty hard to get a decent bill on this passed.  I'm going to need some persuading on why it shouldn't remain law.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 07:58:08 PM »

I think things that deserve life in prison should get life in prison, not the third felony. I looked at the thread and it seemed like a decent negotiation but I feel like we shouldn't move backwards in reforming our justice system.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 02:22:44 AM »

I think things that deserve life in prison should get life in prison, not the third felony. I looked at the thread and it seemed like a decent negotiation but I feel like we shouldn't move backwards in reforming our justice system.

The point that I was making was that some folks will keep committing the same crimes given the opportunity, and we should do something to clamp down on recidivism. I suppose there are other, less aggressive ways to do that, such as scaling up sentences for prior felonies.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 03:22:34 AM »

Is it? Sure, the common usage where there is a mandatory sentence after the third strike is atrocious, but I don't see why giving courts more discretion to give higher sentences on the third strike on a case-by-case basis is a bad thing unless you think that imprisoning people in general is a bad thing and something we should avoid.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 10:53:28 AM »

I think the crime is the crime, and jumping to life for a violent crime, even if the person in question has committed two previous crimes is wrong unless that crime deserved a life sentence.

PiT said something I think may be a compromise - allowing the option for higher sentences in those cases instead of life
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 02:51:28 PM »

This might be a good chance to ask what you guys think of Norway's sentencing laws.  It's quite different from our system in that it sets 21 years for the maximum penalty with renewal every 5 years.  People who absolutely cannot be reformed would effectively serve for life, but absent cases of domestic terrorism, that would be uncommon.  It would obviously be difficult to predict the effectiveness of a law like that in our region, because Norway is quite different from the IDS in many ways, but it's something that should be on the table.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 11:59:40 PM »

Bump... Tongue
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 12:08:11 AM »

I'll make updates on this bill tomorrow in the form of some amendments.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 05:18:33 PM »

I amend to replace the current text with this new text:

[/quote]

In addition, I will go through the IDS crime legislation and seeing what else we can change/do differently.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 10:11:21 PM »

What does this body think about limiting the number of crimes that judges are allowed to give Life in Prison to?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 11:57:50 PM »

What crimes that are eligible for life imprisonment do you feel should not be?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 11:59:46 PM »

Basically anything but Murder, but I'd be willing to negotiate the rest of you.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 01:24:55 AM »

Basically anything but Murder, but I'd be willing to negotiate the rest of you.

You don't think that rape or continued child molestation warrant life?  I'm pretty sure those two and murder are the only things that can get you life, the latter only being so if it's persistent - which is a stretch.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »

There are definitely more in US law, but I am going to go through and check federal law to be sure.

And I'd be willing to say murder could be life without parole, and the other two could be up to life with parole under extreme circumstances.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 10:58:31 PM »

I looked into it, and the Prison Reform Act did not go into life sentence stuff. As a result, going by the U.S. standard, and basically murder, rape, child abuse, espionage, treason, vandalism, extreme fraud, and robbery resulting in death.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2014, 06:36:31 PM »

I'm thinking there should be another bill on crime and punishment later in the session; I want to introduce a day fine plan and we could discuss this more then.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2014, 11:02:14 AM »

I like Norway's system - if we truly aim for our prisons to be rehabilitative, we should aim to release prisoners whenever we judge them to be rehabilitated after they've done whatever punishment is just for their crimes. I'd support moving us to that system.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 02:30:25 PM »

Maxwell, would you support an amendment I'd propose to repeal the Three Strikes Bill and implement a Norwegian-style sentencing law?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 02:42:33 PM »

I'd be open to that, cause it sounds interesting, provided that there are limits to how long one can be sentenced under the system. There is a line between rehabilitation and punishment we must follow.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 03:44:18 PM »

I'd be open to that, cause it sounds interesting, provided that there are limits to how long one can be sentenced under the system. There is a line between rehabilitation and punishment we must follow.

I believe the way the system works is having a maximum prison term of 20 years, which can be extended indefinitely in 5-year increments so long as the offender is determined to still be a threat to society.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 03:48:11 PM »

I believe the way the system works is having a maximum prison term of 20 years, which can be extended indefinitely in 5-year increments so long as the offender is determined to still be a threat to society.

Okay, well, then I support that. I was wondering about crimes that are less than the worst crimes, if there is still an increment system (like someone getting five years for robbery or something).
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 04:00:11 PM »

21 years.  But yes, that's how it works.  However, I'm not sure whether this should be the rule in all cases.  People like Anders Breivik, for example, are unlikely to ever get out of prison due to the magnitude of their crimes but there is still a window of possibility.  On the other hand, there will be errors in this new system just as there are in all others, but I do not want any changes to our law to serve as a signal for criminals or would-be criminals that we're taking a more lenient approach to crime.  I also believe that acts of domestic terrorism should be subject to far higher penalties than those of murder or rape by default.

Then again, the United States traditionally prosecutes those accused of domestic terrorism in federal court regardless of where they're committed; such is why the perpetrator of the Boston Bombings is eligible for the death penalty even though the state of Massachusetts outlawed it.  So, if the crime is severe enough, Atlasia's AG could offer to take the case to federal court.

I'm kind of just thinking out loud here.  I'll propose the amendment this evening if no one has any other thoughts.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies