Raśl Labrador Running for Majority Leader
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:57:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Raśl Labrador Running for Majority Leader
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Raśl Labrador Running for Majority Leader  (Read 1939 times)
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2014, 01:35:39 PM »

http://labrador.house.gov/press-releases/labrador-announces-candidacy-for-house-majority-leader/

Cheesy
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 02:07:56 PM »

Surprising, to say the least.  Word was he wanted to run for Senate if Crapo retires.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 02:08:40 PM »

Splendid!
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 02:25:03 PM »

Great News. I like the little I've heard from him so far. Smiley
He definitely seems moderate and he seems genuine in his desire to help the poor as well.
The best thing about him is that he grew up with a single mother from Puerto Rico though. Smiley
Maybe it will remind people of Obama's background.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 04:42:46 PM »

The guy is in his sophomore term.  He's not getting the job.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 04:54:00 PM »

The guy is in his sophomore term.  He's not getting the job.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 05:23:50 PM »

Close thread
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 05:25:33 PM »

Its beyond obvious McCarthy is the next Majority Leader, but it should be interesting to see how many will defect away.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 05:28:58 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2014, 05:30:46 PM by Abdul the Red »

The guy is in his sophomore term.  He's not getting the job.

Kevin McCarthy was elected a Majority Whip at the end of his sophomore term. Right, it's not Majority Leader but still, seniority is not as important regarding leadership positions as it is with committee assignments
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 05:45:24 PM »

Kevin McCarthy was elected a Majority Whip at the end of his sophomore term. Right, it's not Majority Leader but still, seniority is not as important regarding leadership positions as it is with committee assignments

Majority Whip is nowhere close to Majority Leader, even if are both elected to positions.  You don't campaign to become Whip. The Leader selects his Whip candidate and everyone votes for you unopposed.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 05:53:19 PM »

Remember: Raul Labrador was the mastermind behind the secret coup of Boehner that was called off at the last moment at the beginning of the current term. They had the votes to prevent a majority and force a second ballot but they didnt feel like they had enough extra votes to offer insurance.

I think you guys are underestimating him, I think he definitely has a shot.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 05:58:44 PM »

It seems like that McCarty guy is the more moderate one anyways. According to Washington Post he supports immigration reform. Smiley
Also, he comes from a family tree where everyone are/were Democrats. Can't see how that could be negative in anyways. Tongue Probably means he's used to negotiating and bargaining.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 06:11:15 PM »

He definitely seems moderate and he seems genuine in his desire to help the poor as well.
The best thing about him is that he grew up with a single mother from Puerto Rico though. Smiley

Uhhh... Labrador is not a moderate in any way.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 06:18:04 PM »

Yeah, I've read that he's a tea partier unfortunately. At least he embraced/supported the rescue of Bergdahl though. That makes him humane at least. Tongue (Even if Bowe is from Idaho as well. He could just as well have disowned his own "child".)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 06:38:19 PM »

Yeah, I've read that he's a tea partier unfortunately. At least he embraced/supported the rescue of Bergdahl though. That makes him humane at least. Tongue (Even if Bowe is from Idaho as well. He could just as well have disowned his own "child".)
It's worth noting that Labrador is closer to the Justin Amash wing of the Tea Party than the Allen West wing.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 07:03:31 PM »

It's worth noting that Labrador is closer to the Justin Amash wing of the Tea Party than the Allen West wing.

What's the difference between those two wings, besides the medication of their members?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 07:11:20 PM »

#endorsed
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 08:17:06 PM »

What's the difference between those two wings, besides the medication of their members?
Huh. Another cynical and uninspiring comment from a poster who bases his entire existence on this forum for bashing the right; color me surprised. I guess fiddling while Athens burns can be a bit boring after four years.

Remember: Raul Labrador was the mastermind behind the secret coup of Boehner that was called off at the last moment at the beginning of the current term. They had the votes to prevent a majority and force a second ballot but they didnt feel like they had enough extra votes to offer insurance.

Really? I thought the protest votes for Labrador were just that-protest votes. So the backroom revolt rumors did have some truth to them. I wish I had paid more attention than I did at the time.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 09:20:41 PM »

Huh. Another cynical and uninspiring comment from a poster who bases his entire existence on this forum for bashing the right; color me surprised. I guess fiddling while Athens burns can be a bit boring after four years.

Really? I thought the protest votes for Labrador were just that-protest votes. So the backroom revolt rumors did have some truth to them. I wish I had paid more attention than I did at the time.

It was closer than most people think. At the end of the roll call Boehner was a single vote short of a majority. Michelle Bachmann then cast a vote for Boehner, saving his speakership.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 09:31:13 PM »

It was closer than most people think. At the end of the roll call Boehner was a single vote short of a majority. Michelle Bachmann then cast a vote for Boehner, saving his speakership.

The first time I've ever seen Bachmann as a swing vote.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2014, 10:39:34 PM »

He's definitely my top pick then, even though I know he's not going to get it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2014, 11:11:15 PM »

Majority Whip is nowhere close to Majority Leader, even if are both elected to positions.  You don't campaign to become Whip. The Leader selects his Whip candidate and everyone votes for you unopposed.

Yeah, I forgot about that.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2014, 12:27:08 AM »

Yeah, McCarthy will win thanks to his system of personal relationships and he has the votes already to get the spot, but it would have been great to see a Maj. Leader Labrador lol.

McCarthy is getting support from both wings of the party, the Blackburn's, Chaffetz's and Rooney's, while Labrador himself is struggling in rallying the hard-right because of his past controversy in once supporting amnesty. The only way Labrador could really win is if he gets those 72-73 current House Republicans that are in the House Tea Party Caucus, identify as Tea Party, or express support for them and convinces them about the need for change while reminding them of McCarthy's vote to reopen the government w/o repealing Obamacare and then he would need to somehow find 60 votes among the establishment which in itself seems unlikely.

I'll just be interested to see what Simpson does. Part of him must say he has to stick with his close friend and vote for McCarthy alongside Boehner, but it would be a stab in the back if he didn't support his only colleague in Idaho's delegation.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2014, 12:58:13 AM »

So the next Majority Leader is Hamilton's Congressman.

Cringeworthy.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2014, 06:53:39 AM »

So the next Majority Leader is Hamilton's Congressman.

Cringeworthy.

But isn't it really fitting that the Republican majority leader will be a McCarthy?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies