Favorite sons?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:37:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Favorite sons?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Favorite sons?  (Read 2312 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2014, 06:42:04 PM »

I was talking with grandma (who was born and raised in WV) about how she loves Joe Manchin to death even though she is a hardcore Tea Partier, and a thought occured to me: we all seem to have "favorite sons." For example, even though I blame Allen West’s rhetoric for being a major reason for the candidate I worked for being defeated (he still would have lost, though the West comparisons were the reason the race wasn’t two or three points closer IMO) and is one of the biggest war hawks around, he still is among my favorites. And it’s only because he was my Congressman for two years and that I have met him numerous times.

Am I the only one around here who likes people for this odd reason or do any of you have “favorite sons” from your district/state that you like even though you disagree with them?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 07:05:13 PM »

Yeah, that's kinda why I want Scalise to be Majority Whip. Too a lesser extent, that's why I wouldn't mind Cochran sticking around because he'll keep steering funding towards the Gulf Coast region.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 07:10:02 PM »

I disagree hard with Coburn on social issues, but I feel some loyalty to him because he's my Senator.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 07:14:34 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2014, 07:27:49 PM by angus »

Your grandmother uses the phrase "Tea Partier" to describe herself??

Sorry if I sound unconvinced.

As for favorite sons, I always vote for them unless they show really bad judgment, whether I agree with them or not.  When I was living in Somerville, Joseph Kennedy (D-MA7) died in a ski "accident" and we had to have a special election to replace him.  Mayor Capuano of Somerville ran to replace him.  He was one of seven contenders.  (In MA CD7, the elections are decided in the primaries, not the general election, so if you want to have a say in it, you register as a Democrat and vote in the primary.)  I definitely supported my mayor for that US House seat, without reservation.  I say if you have a chance to elect a local guy to any big office, then vote for him whether you agree with him or not.  Capuano still holds hat seat, by the way.  Local trumps ideology, imho.  Somebody's gonna get the pork, so it might as well be you.  

Always vote for the local boy. 

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 08:06:13 PM »

Your grandmother uses the phrase "Tea Partier" to describe herself??

Sorry if I sound unconvinced.

As for favorite sons, I always vote for them unless they show really bad judgment, whether I agree with them or not.  When I was living in Somerville, Joseph Kennedy (D-MA7) died in a ski "accident" and we had to have a special election to replace him.  Mayor Capuano of Somerville ran to replace him.  He was one of seven contenders.  (In MA CD7, the elections are decided in the primaries, not the general election, so if you want to have a say in it, you register as a Democrat and vote in the primary.)  I definitely supported my mayor for that US House seat, without reservation.  I say if you have a chance to elect a local guy to any big office, then vote for him whether you agree with him or not.  Capuano still holds hat seat, by the way.  Local trumps ideology, imho.  Somebody's gonna get the pork, so it might as well be you.  

Always vote for the local boy. 
No, my grandma calls herself a "regular small business conservative" or something like that. But she is representative of the Tea Party base.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 08:30:38 PM »

Ah, that makes sense.  I still don't believe the tea party exists (outside this forum, of course, and outside CNN, MSNBC, FOX, and the other 24-hour talking head networks).  I'm relieved to hear that someone over 30 years old (and who isn't paid to talk about politics for a living) isn't waiting for things like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tea Party to bring her things for being a good girl.

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »

Mark Kirk hands down. He represented me for many years when he was in Congress in IL-10 and between his environmental voting record, support of gay marriage, and commitment to his constituents following his stroke, I largely ignore his positions on other issues. He gets my vote.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 11:46:35 AM »

I will admit that I am very for southerners in high places, of course them being non crazy.  I really have a favorite daughter thing with southern democratic women senators and representatives.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 11:56:42 AM »

I hate everyone associated with the Wisconsin Republican Party since 1950 other than Dale Shultz, so no. Also I thought this said "Favorite songs" at first, lol!
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 12:06:15 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2014, 05:08:25 PM by bballrox4717 »

I don't live in NY-1 anymore and have since transferred from Stony Brook, but I'll always defend Tim Bishop. The guy has always been cued in on student financial problems, made regular visits to Stony Brook, and has been awesome on environmental concerns. I don't believe for a second that Zeldin will be able to take him out, and don't even get me started on Demos.

As for my senators, Schumer's a city guy and Gillibrand is from upstate, which is like a different world as far as Long Island is concerned, so there's no favorite son affect for me there. I will say though, ever since I moved upstate into a fairly conservative district, I've gained a better understanding on why Gillibrand and Hochul needed to be centrists while they were in the House.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 03:26:29 PM »

There is a longtime GOP member of the South Dakota Legislature whom I've always liked.  She's a nice lady who lives in a house near the one I grew up in.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 09:49:29 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's the only reason I don't despise Kathy Hochul.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 10:03:56 AM »

I know this is on the US board, but I'll always have a soft spot for my old MP Stephen Twigg, who went to my primary school and is a marked improvement on both his predecessor and his successor- despite his Blairism and support for the Iraq War.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 04:15:42 PM »

I continue to support Eleanor Holmes Norton because she is so dogged in fighting for D.C. against congressional bullying, even though she's pretty ineffective. Otherwise I just voted to throw out all incumbents in the primary (and all lost), so I suppose we do have a favorite daughter here in D.C. but otherwise don't show a lot of loyalty to our elected officials.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 06:08:19 PM »

I can't stand my current rep (Sheila Jackson Lee) and was underwhelmed at best by my prior rep (Ted Poe).

I like Chet Edwards, but that had nothing to do with living in his district for four years.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 07:10:32 PM »

I like Louise Slaughter enough as it is, but it's enhanced by the fact that a) she's my representative and b) she's my friend's grandmother.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 07:13:41 PM »

If the point of this thread is a "favorite son" whose politics or positions I don't agree with, the only one that remotely fits the bill is Kay Bailey Hutchison.

However she would not sway my vote in a federal election.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies